Joint Pain Do You Take Anything Besides NSAIDS?

I take Glucosamine and Chondroitin (500/400) 3x a day. I do have a doctor prescription for naproxen (aleve) 500 mg but I only take it if it is a bad pain day. You shouldn't take the Aleve all the time whether over-the-counter- or prescription. I also walk an hour every day.

I take Glucosamine and Chondroitin (500/400) 3x a day. I do have a doctor prescription for naproxen (aleve) 500 mg but I only take it if it is a bad pain day. You shouldn't take the Aleve all the time whether over-the-counter- or prescription. I also walk an hour every day.
I cannot take naproxen or Aleve because they are non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and I cannot take them because of my liver being bad. Thank you for your reply.

Mobic, meloxicam 15 mg per day. It is prescription, but a pretty mild anti-inflammatory. Cost varies a bit, but I can usually get it for less than $5/month. My doctor prescribes for months at a time and will renew whenever the pharmacy calls, very easy. I have been taking it for over 10 years and it is a big help, I have little joint pain. If I stop for a few days the pain returns. Other than the joint pain relief I have no side effects.

I have arthritis in my knees and have been taking Mobic (Meloxicam) for years as well! I get a 90 day supply for about $3.85. (we have Medicare and Advantage through Anthem -Blue Cross/Blue Shield)

NOTE: There are many makers of this drug and one may work better than another one! Not every generic drug is exactly the same.

One day the pharmacy didn't have the oval tabs I usually get and gave me round ones from another manufacturer. They worked WAY better. I called Express Scripts (our mail order pharmacy at the time) and they told me there are over 300 makers of Meloxicam and yes, I could request that particular manufacturer. Since Walgreens has taken over our Rite Aid, they require that the Dr. specify that maker. So far so good but now I have gotten two rounds of injections, in addition to the tablets, and those have been very helpful too!!

Mobic, meloxicam 15 mg per day. It is prescription, but a pretty mild anti-inflammatory. Cost varies a bit, but I can usually get it for less than $5/month. My doctor prescribes for months at a time and will renew whenever the pharmacy calls, very easy. I have been taking it for over 10 years and it is a big help, I have little joint pain. If I stop for a few days the pain returns. Other than the joint pain relief I have no side effects.

I've been taking that for about 5 weeks now, cuz of rotator cuff problem and (supposedly) an arthritic wrist, along with tylenol. Both problems on right arm of course, both woke me up one morning with severe pain, no previous problems. Melox and tylenol have helped although I'm getting progressively worse -- I started getting a slight pain/stiffness in my left wrist a couple days ago.

The last melox I took was Thursday night. I just wanted to see what would happen -- well I woke up early today out of my mind with wrist pain.

I saw an ortho a couple weeks ago, he had me go to PT. I can't do it though, too painful. So I just took some cannabis oil about an hour ago, which worked good a week ago. I'm calling the ortho Monday morning, gotta do something different; my right arm is almost useless because of the wrist pain.

I think I'll go back on the melox tonight. It isn't fixing anything though, it's just masking the pain -- like everything else I'm taking.

Last edited:
I think I'll go back on the melox tonight. It isn't fixing anything though, it's just masking the pain -- like everything else I'm taking.
Yep, I have been on it for over 10 years still the same for me just masks the pain. But that is a pretty good thing. And I have had no side effect that I know of. Not addictive either, except that I sure do prefer living without the pain. And I have not had to increase the dosage, I take 15 mg per day, same as I did 10 years ago, and it still works the same.

Yep, I have been on it for over 10 years still the same for me just masks the pain. But that is a pretty good thing. And I have had no side effect that I know of. Not addictive either, except that I sure do prefer living without the pain. And I have not had to increase the dosage, I take 15 mg per day, same as I did 10 years ago, and it still works the same.

That's good about the dosage still being okay. What kind of pain do you have?

I've been taking that for about 5 weeks now, cuz of rotator cuff problem and (supposedly) an arthritic wrist, along with tylenol. Both problems on right arm of course, both woke me up one morning with severe pain, no previous problems. Melox and tylenol have helped although I'm getting progressively worse -- I started getting a slight pain/stiffness in my left wrist a couple days ago.

The last melox I took was Thursday night. I just wanted to see what would happen -- well I woke up early today out of my mind with wrist pain.

I saw an ortho a couple weeks ago, he had me go to PT. I can't do it though, too painful. So I just took some cannabis oil about an hour ago, which worked good a week ago. I'm calling the ortho Monday morning, gotta do something different; my right arm is almost useless because of the wrist pain.

Rotator cuff injuries are tough. Last fall I torn my left rotator cuff and it’s still really sore. I had to stop doing my yoga series which was keeping the rest of my body in great shape. I’ve read that it can take up to a year to heal some rotator cuff injuries.

Rotator cuff injuries are tough. Last fall I torn my left rotator cuff and it’s still really sore. I had to stop doing my yoga series which was keeping the rest of my body in great shape. I’ve read that it can take up to a year to heal some rotator cuff injuries.

I'm not sure that diagnosis was correct. I think there's something else going on, will find out hopefully in a few days. The way things are going, I'll be a complete invalid in a week or two.

I have arthritis in my knees and have been taking Mobic (Meloxicam) for years as well! I get a 90 day supply for about $3.85. (we have Medicare and Advantage through Anthem -Blue Cross/Blue Shield)

NOTE: There are many makers of this drug and one may work better than another one! Not every generic drug is exactly the same.

One day the pharmacy didn't have the oval tabs I usually get and gave me round ones from another manufacturer. They worked WAY better. I called Express Scripts (our mail order pharmacy at the time) and they told me there are over 300 makers of Meloxicam and yes, I could request that particular manufacturer. Since Walgreens has taken over our Rite Aid, they require that the Dr. specify that maker. So far so good but now I have gotten two rounds of injections, in addition to the tablets, and those have been very helpful too!!
I also take Meloxicam for about 3 years now. I have issues with my Sacrum from climbing in and out of planes. At least, that’s what I contribute it to. It works very well.

I take buffered aspirin which is an anti inflammatory but isn't a cure all. I also use Aspercreme with lydocaine. Aspercreme was like a miracle the first time I used it, but less so now. Still, I do use it everyday.

I was prescribed tramadol and meloxicam for pain and if they help any, it's not much. Any OTC meds have a warning to only take so much for so long so I avoid them. The only time I have pain is for certain types of movement so I try to avoid that movement. When I'm motionless, there is no pain, so I try to work around what causes the pain. Luckily, I have no constant pain which is a whole other story.

I was prescribed tramadol and meloxicam for pain and if they help any, it's not much. Any OTC meds have a warning to only take so much for so long so I avoid them. The only time I have pain is for certain types of movement so I try to avoid that movement. When I'm motionless, there is no pain, so I try to work around what causes the pain. Luckily, I have no constant pain which is a whole other story.
Folks like us Chet, are between a rock and hard place. I can’t take nsaids as I take a blood thinner. Tylenol doesn’t do much for my aches. I’ve taken all the drugs you mentioned including hydrocodone, not much help with those either. I work around the pain the best I can. I’m toying the idea of acupuncture.

Does anybody take anything else that doesn't cost much?

Ice water, in a bucket or with a wash cloth.
Fresh ginger root, a large piece peeled, chopped and blended with water.
Drink as much as you want once you're used to it, and rub some on the painful areas with your hands or a wash cloth.

Valerian root is excellent for getting rid of the pain.
One time I had a terrible toothache. A dentist said to take a poison and come to the office a week later.
The pain was so bad I couldn't sleep, so I got up in the middle of the night, blended the valerian root with water
and drank quite a bit of it. I lay down again trying to sleep, and nothing happened. I thought it wasn't working but
45 minutes later I was drifting off to sleep and the tooth wasn't hurting anymore. I blended, strained and drank valerian
root all the next day and the pain never returned. I didn't take the poisons and cancelled the appointment with the dentist.

Never heat, because heat increases inflammation and pain, brings blood to the surface and delays any healing.

Never any drugs.

Last edited:

Back