Junk from the cellar

Even with a new toilet, it will soon look this way again because of the high iron and mineral content in the water supply.
Not of you clean it the right way and often which is what you do with toilets and houses.

This was left in the cellar by the previous owners. I can't get the drawers open. They may have rusty nails in them, antique coins, or just be empty. Probably not worth trying to move after being on that wet cellar floor for decades. Probably fall apart if touched. Dimensions in photo caption.

View attachment 116065View attachment 116066View attachment 116067
Remember these cabinets that I couldn't get the drawers open in the summer. I just remembered them and tried to open the drawers. EMPTY!

Several large clothes racks (my mom always dried the clothes in the cellar next to the furnace in winter). Two galvanized pails. Two galvenized tubs (one is pretty rusty but holds water - these would be okay for container gardening) and a spirit level.

View attachment 113348View attachment 113349View attachment 113350
Yup... I’d keep it all and use as container gargens and trellises. And that level I would add a board on the top and use as a cute little shelf ❤️

I was considering saving them for my yard sale, but people are so fussy these days. The racks I could use to display clothing. I haven't even scratched the surface cleaning the cellar. There are several large stoneware pieces down there that might be worth something (to a collector). One has the likemess of George Washington on it. It was made in 1932 - his birth bicentennial.

View attachment 113356
❤️

The problem is finding folks who want these things and more importantly, are willing to pay for them. My kids don't want more than a single Orrefors or Waterford vase. Lenox or other fine china, crystal bowls, sterling silver flatware, Lladro figures, etc, don't speak to them.

Hummels, Precious Moments, knick-knacks, depression glass, etc. are barely worth what it costs to haul them to the dump.

(I'm not suggesting that I own all that I listed above - just saying that younger generations don't care for what many in our generation and older valued.)

Junk from the cellar indeed. Most of us inherited plenty of beautiful things that our family will not be interested in when it's their turn to own them.

Sometimes I feel sad about this, but I realize that future generations get to make their own decisions about what's valuable and what they want in their homes.
My sister, who is in the business, calls them dead people toys.

Back