Junk from the cellar

Honestly and I'm being sincere and not sarcastic... I would put as much as I could in a car and go to many huge trash bins and throw in the stuff if the city isn't willing to pick it up, that is. There is no need for the things that you have shown us and no one is going to buy it. Just get rid of it... slowly. :confused:
That's what most of the Goldens have been telling Deb. Alas, she thinks they're treasures to someone and she'd want to make some bucks, why would she spend gas to drive around to dispose them? No, no, no, no....

That's what most of the Goldens have been telling Deb. Alas, she thinks they're treasures to someone and she'd want to make some bucks, why would she spend gas to drive around to dispose them? No, no, no, no....
Well, it was just a simple suggestion. I'm getting overwhelmed with the stuff Deb is hanging on to. I always have a box or bag in a corner of the dining room with things that I am going to donate to Goodwill.

The pale yellow plastic pail looks identical to the diaper pails I used when my kids were babies.
It was part of the old water softening system that was installed when my parents moved in. My mother made my dad disconnect it because she didn't like how it made the water taste. That cylinder I asked about moving upstairs was also part of that system. That little table on top of it was my bed table when I was a kid. There a pic of me in the family photo album using it. It's all disintegrated now from being in the damp cellar.

Last edited:
Better - it's been preying on my mind for weeks. Now I have to sort through and decide what to do with the things I removed. Some may be garage sale worthy like flowerpots, a great majority is junk and I'll have to toss it gradually since I have a small bin. I was disappointed in the plant stand I uncovered that looks like a flower cart. The shelves were all rusted.

Last edited:
Better - it;s been preying on my mind for weeks. Now I have to sort through and decide what to do with the things I removed. Some may be garage sale worthy like flowerpots, a great majority is junk and I'll have to toss it gradually since I have a small bin. I was disappointed in the plant stand I uncovered that looks like a flower cart. The shelves were all rusted.
I am so happy for you!

I called a guy that helped haul away the back porch overhang that blew down 3 years ago. The last two times I called him, he never showed up. I am in that twilight zone of junk - too much to put in the trash bin and too little for anyone to bother themselves with.
What about a small trailer option?

Like this!

That way you could wash your hands clean of having to rely on others for help.

Australian-Aluminium-7x4-Box-Trailers-Full-Checker-Plate ...

Do you mean I rent one or buy one? I don't have a trailer hitch on my car. And then where would I take it????
You'd need a hitch, and then you could take it anywhere, and with it being as small as it is, you could back in back onto your property, tucking it away in the corner and forget about it until the next time you needed it.

I probably wouldn't need it that much to actually buy one. The cost of having someone take it would be less, but I appreciate your suggestion.
If a Home depot or Lowes near you rents pickup trucks maybe a one day rental & paying a neighborhood teen to load & unload at your local landfill would solve the cost issue.

I found this cast iron kettle. Now junk (or a planter for a re-purposer). Dampness sure takes it's toll on metallic things!

cast iron pot.jpg

An aluminum ice chest from Montgomery Wards. I remember this when I was a kid when we used to go on vacation or picnics, so it has to be from the late 1950s or early 60s.

ice chest1.jpgice chest6.jpg

An interesting flowerpot with a ribbon and bow design. It's 8.5" tall.

planter pot1.jpg

I don't know what to do now that my summer projects are done (cleaning of the porches and the cellar). I guess the next step is anticipating the village-wide garage sale.
You've got to feel so great about crossing those off your list! Is there a date for the garage sale? How does it work? Do you gather in a central area, everyone carting their items to and fro, or is it a date when loads of people hold sales and people cruise the streets looking for treasures?

Dare I ask what's on your autumn schedule (besides that sale)? I could use some inspiration.

Is there a date for the garage sale? How does it work? Do you gather in a central area, everyone carting their items to and fro, or is it a date when loads of people hold sales and people cruise the streets looking for treasures?

Our community-wide sale is scheduled for Sept. 19. It like the last choice you mentioned. Anyone that wants to participate can have a sale at their individual house. There is also going to be a craft fair at the American Legion that day. In previous years, they had professional vendors that could rent space and set up at the Blockhouse Park that's a stone's throw up the street from my house. I haven't heard that they're doing that this year. Usually the village-wide sale is in May, but like the Kentucky Derby, it was postponed.

The older peoole that were collectors are dying off and most young people just aren't interested in antiques and collectibles. I shudder to think of how many things are put in dumpsters by people cleaning out their parents homes because they don't know the value or simply don't want to be bothered having an estate sale.

I did contact an estate seller a few years ago. She had too many rules - I can't be in the house when the sale is going on (I've been to estate sale and saw many 5-finger discounts happening), have to have access to a clean working bathroom, the house must be clean and odor-free, etc. When I do it myself, I don't care if the toilet looks like this:

toilet1.jpg

Back