Just contacted several charities to remove me from mailing lists

I have been getting a bit fed up with a couple organizations sending almost monthly newsletters/requests for donations. I have not donated in years..and feel it is a waste of their money to keep sending me these mailings when all I do is throw them in the trash. I am not against donating...just the constant mailings when I am not sending the money
Hope it helps
Sadly, once you contact them, they know they have good contact info for you so, if they do remove you as requested, they'll just sell your contact info to someone else that will bombard you with unwanted mailings :confused:. Don...

I no longer give to charity because of this. If there's no place locally, I can throw a $10 bill in, it ain't happening. No tax credits paying cash but I don't itemize anyway as I never have anything to itemize. There are some advantages to "poverty" aka living a frugal life style.

Thing is I used to pride myself on giving to charity. They made me regret it. I don't anymore. There's got to be a lot of people who just quit giving because they're annoyed by this.

Eh, I find it better to help one on one anyway. If you see someone going through hard times, slide them what you can to help them out.

I frequently see those heart-wrenching ASPCA ads. In the summer it's about and animals suffering in sweltering heat and in winter it's icy cold. I just wonder how muh of donations actually go to help suffering animals.
Simply and sadly put - I Don't Trust Any Of Them. Like a few have said, I donate locally with no email or address for them to eternally bombard for future contributions! Don...

You could always write ‘return to sender.’ Usually that’s done if people move but they don’t have to know the reason why.
Another option is to just instantly toss them or use them as fire starters like someone else suggested.
Last option not a good option for me because I have to keep shredding that stuff! Or I don't and wind up having two 30 gallon garbage bags full to take to the shredder truck! 🙃 I don't put anything in the garbage that has my name and address on it. Like I said, so far my calls have worked. And I noticed that unlike with other businesses, there's almost no wait time to speak to the representatives.

Last option not a good option for me because I have to keep shredding that stuff! Or I don't and wind up having two 30 gallon garbage bags full to take to the shredder truck! 🙃 I don't put anything in the garbage that has my name and address on it. Like I said, so far my calls have worked. And I noticed that unlike with other businesses, there's almost no wait time to speak to the representatives.
We have paper garbage that gets burned weekly. Sometimes I forget that not everyone has that option. I just erased my suggestion to call them since I see you’ve already done that. That’s about all you can do.

At our last house we used to get a free newspaper tossed into the end of our driveway. We never asked for it. Many times I’d call and ask them to stop. In winter when the snow covered the newspaper our snowblower would rip the papers up and there’d be papers everywhere. Thats when I’d call. I finally started tossing them onto the street and the government then complained directly to them and it eventually stopped.

We have paper garbage that gets burned weekly. Sometimes I forget that not everyone has that option. I just erased my suggestion to call them since I see you’ve already done that. That’s about all you can do.

At our last house we used to get a free newspaper tossed into the end of our driveway. We never asked for it. Many times I’d call and ask them to stop. In winter when the snow covered the newspaper our snowblower would rip the papers up and there’d be papers everywhere. Thats when I’d call. I finally started tossing them onto the street and the government then complained directly to them and it eventually stopped.
I was wondering if you had seen that I called. No problem Patty. We periodically get sales circulars tossed on our stoop. One of our former board members saw one paper person and asked him to stop but they haven't. One good thing, I guess is that they are covered in plastic. I don't know what happens to them. I imagine some of my neighbors might pick them up, others may get put into the garbage when one of our maintenance men is clearing the grounds.

Last edited:
I have a few charities whom I gave to in the past, that have waisted by contribution by using too much of it to ask me for more money. So now, I give them nothing. Hopefully, they will wake up and smell reality.

My mom and I had shared a house and somehow after she died the charity request mailings that she used to get somehow changed to using my name, and even after I've moved to another state they have figured out where I went to and now I get the contribution request mailings here. But, the silver lining is they send stuff like return address labels, little notepads, and blank greeting cards with envelopes.

I feel really guilty not sending them any money, but I have my own favorite charities that I have set up on recurring donations via my credit card (and strangely those charities don't send me many snail mail requests, though one of them sent a text message a few months ago asking if I would increase my recurring donation amount, and it seemed reasonable what with all the inflation so I did and they have been leaving me alone, yay).

I have a few charities whom I gave to in the past, that have waisted by contribution by using too much of it to ask me for more money. So now, I give them nothing. Hopefully, they will wake up and smell reality.
I agree, how can these organizations think people don't get it? My only thing is, perhaps they get elderly.

I agree, how can these organizations think people don't get it? My only thing is, perhaps they get elderly.
Probably they just don't have a lot of options, maybe the majority of people only give when asked.

When I worked for a online party goods store, they sent beaucoup catalogs and customers would complain, but when the company sent out fewer catalogs sales dropped, so they sent out more again and sales went up. So they do what worked best for the bottom line.

My mom and I had shared a house and somehow after she died the charity request mailings that she used to get somehow changed to using my name, and even after I've moved to another state they have figured out where I went to and now I get the contribution request mailings here. But, the silver lining is they send stuff like return address labels, little notepads, and blank greeting cards with envelopes.

I feel really guilty not sending them any money, but I have my own favorite charities that I have set up on recurring donations via my credit card (and strangely those charities don't send me many snail mail requests, though one of them sent a text message a few months ago asking if I would increase my recurring donation amount, and it seemed reasonable what with all the inflation so I did and they have been leaving me alone, yay).
I find it kind of freaky that they found you at your new address! Like you I felt guilty about not sending money, but only for one charity. Doctors Without Boarders sent me a really nice little tote bag with colorful lettering. I think they were asking $5 which is a pittance. I mulled around for several days about whether or not I should send it. I finally decided not too because, of course I didn't ask for the tote and I figured if I sent them a donation I'd wind up getting a lot of other solicitations like I did the last time I donated to a charity.

I've also gotten lovely address labels and envelope sealers. I don't send money to them either for the same reason. I had donated to a couple of the charities in the past. Like you, I have my favorite charities and more than enough of my budget goes to them.

Back