Just re-discovered: Mayonnaise vs Butter

Nathan

SF VIP
I wasn't sure where to post this- Food & Drinks, Health, or here in Weight Loss & Fitness. My focus is on lessening caloric intake, while continuing to enjoy eating . I have been avoiding mayonnaise but yet still indulging with butter. What was I thinking? I had heard that Mayonnaise has much less saturated fat than butter(1.5 g per tablespoon versus 7.3 g in butter), but it didn't sink in, until today. With mayonnaise having only about a fifth of the saturated fat that butter does, I'm going to modify my eating habits to take advantage of...mayonnaise's advantage.

I wasn't sure where to post this- Food & Drinks, Health, or here in Weight Loss & Fitness. My focus is on lessening caloric intake, while continuing to enjoy eating . I have been avoiding mayonnaise but yet still indulging with butter. What was I thinking? I had heard that Mayonnaise has much less saturated fat than butter(1.5 g per tablespoon versus 7.3 g in butter), but it didn't sink in, until today. With mayonnaise having only about a fifth of the saturated fat that butter does, I'm going to modify my eating habits to take advantage of...mayonnaise's advantage.
I've switched to whipped cream cheese on toast and things. 2 Tblsp 50 calories, 2.5 saturated fat.

I still eat both & don't worry about it. I look more at ingredients in a product. Butter is made from heavy cream & nothing else unless you add a bit of salt.

I stopped looking at the mayo ingredients list. There are some preservatives in some brands their that don't need to be IMO. I really should make my own from scratch & have no excuse not to. It's not that hard to do.

The original Hellmanns was made from eggs, oil, vinegar & seasonings. Now the label lists whole egg, egg yolks oil, vinegar, salt, natural seasonings, sugar, lemon juice, water & Calcium Disodium Ethylenediaminetetraacetic (EDTA). According to one article the last ingredient, a chemical preservative, has caused Hellmann's not to be sold at Whole Foods. Since I don't shop there, I don't know if that is accurate.

If you ever want to make a grilled cheese, use mayo on the bread instead of butter. It works out great, especially if your butter isn't soft enough to spread without tearing your bread up.

If you haven't tried Japanese mayo, try it. I've found the Kewpie brand at a specialty store which is good, but now both Walmart & Meijer are carrying it. At Walmart it was in the oriental/international food section & not with the other mayo. Kewpie's ingredients are vegetable oil (canola/soybean), egg yolk, vinegar, salt, MSG, spice & natural flavor.

th-1322906188.jpg

If you ever want to make a grilled cheese, use mayo on the bread instead of butter. It works out great, especially if your butter isn't soft enough to spread without tearing your bread up.

There will always be a place for butter in my meals, perhaps less as I adapt mayonnaise into my choices.

I've heard that the saturated fats pogrom was a scam by the processed food industry to divert blame away from sugars. People think that honey is a "good" food. It ain't! Just as bad for you as high-fructose corn syrup.

In Hellmans' UK..these are the ingredients...

Rapeseed oil (78%), free range pasteurised EGG and EGG yolk (8,9%), water, spirit vinegar, sugar, salt, lemon juice concentrate, flavouring ...

In the organic version :... Organic Soybean Oil, Water, Organic Whole Eggs, Organic Distilled Vinegar, Organic Egg Yolks, Salt, Organic Dried Cane Syrup, Organic Lemon Juice Concentrate, Natural Flavor.

If you ever want to make a grilled cheese, use mayo on the bread instead of butter.
I do this when I think of it. For DH, I don’t put anything on the bread. He doesn’t like butter or grease. There was a sales pitch at Costco and the fellow showing his pan raved how it didn’t need butter. No none stick pan does for a grilled cheese. There’s enough fat in the cheese.

My sister once made grilled cheese sandwiches for a group with mayonnaise when she ran out of butter. They were equally good. When I use melted butter for anything I thin it with extra virgin olive oil. Not sure this helps with the calories but it helps balance the omega 6 and omega 3.

@Jules, I got rid of my non-stick in the early 90s & used the Le Creuset enameled frying pans. Finally switched to cast iron. I keep a good coating on the cast iron & I haven't had a problem with things sticking.

You're right about Hellmann's not being as thick. I got tired of the high price which was going up way before everything else started. I switched to Dukes mayo, but husband didn't like the more vinegar flavor as well. We went through different brands & settled on Aldi. It's nice & thick & a good price.

I've always imagined mayo as the bacterial foam that develops on wet grass clippings left in a black plastic bag in the sun too long. Or maybe something that drips from the rusted-through corner of an old garbage dumpster.
I got a bad visual on that...:eek:

Back