Knee replacement

I just found out I am going down that road so to speak. I was suggested a knee replacement by my wellness doctor. I had been in the care of a western medicine doctor and will go back to him in August to see about a knee replacement. I am on Medicare and work insurance. One pays 80% and my work picks up the other 20%. Is there anything I need to remember, to say or ask? By the way, what is Medicare's deductible on that, I have a phone # to ask Medicare that question.

A minor thing, but you can get a scrip for a cane. And a handicapped hang tag. I got both when first diagnosed with my hip problems, and though I do not use them all the time, they are good to have. Especially when recuperating. I assume from your post you are still working, as you mention work insurance. Find out how long you will need to be off work, so you can plan with your employer. That is all I can add right now.

Hubby is scheduled for a knee replacement on Sept. 5th. And about 6 months later,he`ll have the other one done. They told him 10 years ago that he could get it done anytime-that his knees were shot-but he has put it off and put it off. He`s just tired of the pain now.

Hubby is scheduled for a knee replacement on Sept. 5th. And about 6 months later,he`ll have the other one done. They told him 10 years ago that he could get it done anytime-that his knees were shot-but he has put it off and put it off. He`s just tired of the pain now.

Sounds like us men...

@Furryanimal get up and walk as soon as you can, Lorie's Aunt has had it now 3 times, and she says the biggest thing is starting moving it... I have a sister - in - law who had it done, and did not exercise it and had HUGE problems... Good Luck... Keep us in the loop Please...

I had partial right knee surgery 15 yrs ago because I couldn't bend my knee back all the way.. I had the surgery at the hospital where I worked,so my co-workers took care of me.I was off work for 3 months during the summer
The day after,I got out of bed slowly using a walker,3 days later I was discharged.I went to rehab facility for a week,then I did out patient therapy.My therapist gave me exercises which I still do every morning before I go on my 1st walk of the day
I wish you the best of luck ,keep us posted Sue

Sounds like us men...

@Furryanimal get up and walk as soon as you can, Lorie's Aunt has had it now 3 times, and she says the biggest thing is starting moving it... I have a sister - in - law who had it done, and did not exercise it and had HUGE problems... Good Luck... Keep us in the loop Please...
Thank you for the advice. I will start moving it really soon. I think the first place will be getting up from the bed to the bathroom and up again. I will do the therapy too cause I have seen those that didn't and they have stiff knees. Thank you.

I had partial right knee surgery 15 yrs ago because I couldn't bend my knee back all the way.. I had the surgery at the hospital where I worked,so my co-workers took care of me.I was off work for 3 months during the summer
The day after,I got out of bed slowly using a walker,3 days later I was discharged.I went to rehab facility for a week,then I did out patient therapy.My therapist gave me exercises which I still do every morning before I go on my 1st walk of the day
I wish you the best of luck ,keep us posted Sue
Thank you for the advice. Therapy and exercises are direly important, I hear.

I hope all goes well, and I have put up with steroid shots, sugar shots, rooster comb shot, and ice and heat. Now I am ready for it. Good luck to your husband and you.

I hope all goes well, and I have put up with steroid shots, sugar shots, rooster comb shot, and ice and heat. Now I am ready for it. Good luck to your husband and you.

Thank you-and good luck to you! And yes,he did all the same things-steroid shots,rooster comb shots,Meloxicam etc.,etc. It`s time now though. And he has heard the same thing-do the therapy! Most important part. He actually rides his stationary bike every night and his doc says that,even though it does cause his knees to hurt worse,it will make his therapy much easier. We`ll see. Doc says he should only stay overnight in hospital and return to work in 2-3 weks. He`s planning on 2-or at least doing a few hours a day.

Back