Ladies thinning hair

My hair is thinning and fragile. I couldn't make it look decent short. I've grown it to about shoulder length so I can pull it back into a pony tail or roll.

I'm glad I did this. I know a 50ish woman with short puffy blonde hair. It looks great from the front, but from the back you can see her scalp.

Of course we are all different.

I still have to laugh inside when I think back to when I dated a woman from my bank. Actually, she invited me to go to a wedding with her, which was almost a month in advance. After the ceremony and while we were traveling to the reception hall, I complemented her on her outfit and hair. She started laughing, but thanked me. I was a little confused, so I asked her what was funny? She said she was bald and wears a wig. I was shocked and surprised at the same time.

I couldn’t tell the difference between a wig and real hair. Even when we danced, I was able to feel her hair and it felt real and smelled good. I almost wondered if she was being truthful, but I thought to myself, who would lie about being bald? The really strange part was that I graduated high school with her and as I remembered her back then, she had a full head of hair. I was thinking of asking her if she had real hair in high school, but I didn’t want to get stuck on a conversation about real hair and wigs. Sure fooled me.

Tara, my hair is baby fine. I use the new lavendar based shampoo and conditioner by Dove, so much body and bounce. Also the mousse.

I stopped dye jobs during the pandemic. I now love my silver grey hair.
My hair is baby-fine, too and though it covers my head, we can see a bit of scalp close to the part. I never had a very thick head of hair, and am 66 now.

My hair laughs at gravity so I keep it short-layered. I desperately need to find the absolute best shampoo for thickening the hair and yet making it lie down instead of, when I use a blowdryer it, the shorter hairs and the grays that are mixed in with a lot of dark brown, some of them sticking straight out, I think to taunt me, LOL.

I need a shampoo that thickens the strands a bit and forces it to be a tad heavier, lying down, sort of an anti-friz ingredient also, I think,

I will return here tomorrow and I invite and request any tips any of you gals have for a brand I can consider, that I can study about to decide if I should try it for this hair of mine. I appreciate hearing from others, I do not get offended easily and hope my casual, open personality doesn't ever offend anyone here. Absence of malice, I assure you.

Oh wait, I should be writing this at whatever page y'all like us to introduce ourselves. I saw something about it, inviting me to do so, before I went to check email so I could confirm email and start posting with y'all.

I had a very full head of hair, dark-brown, almost black. Hubby had begun to go grey in his 30s and was now white. I still have just a recent addition of grey-white fringe piece after son's death 5 years ago.

So, stuck inside due to Pandemic, I tried changing my colour to Silver. Needless to say, my hair paid a heavy price and after hubby's death, they just fell out in chunks. Until I was left with new growth underneath.

Yup, baby fine as always but not as much as before but getting there. Being the one that favours natural ingredients, I used oat milk and rice water for rinses to help with regrowth. Honey for shine and eliminating oily mess after 3 days, it works and finally Coconut shampoos and conditioners. Results!

Hair thickness lies in having 3 hairs to one follicles, but the strength is coming back as well as shine and keeping the oils away. Never again will I use chemical dyes. I'll try to get natural blue dye for when my hair decides to go white for good.

Hope this helps!

If you dye your hair a dark color, it will be much more noticeable. Go blonde or silver; the scalp will show less.

I am an expert on this as I live on the fourth floor and look down at the tops of many heads everyday, and that is what I've seen.
Good info! Stopped coloring 6 years ago, finally the gray is taking over the brown

I have thick hair. However, it got thinner after I'd had surgery (apparently whatever they gave me made some of the hair fall out). I've been taking biotin (a vitamin) and it's gotten quite thick again.
Anesthesia they give you will cause hair loss. Biotin is a good choice

My hair is still fairly thick but I am taking black current oil to help keep it .

I have not noticed a difference. My hair is gray. I never really used any products other than shampoo. I always kept it very short however, I noticed that my hair does not grow very fast anymore.

I am an expert on this as I live on the fourth floor and look down at the tops of many heads everyday, and that is what I've seen.
LOL! Not a woman but when I look in the mirror I see a full head of hair, however when I look in a mirror held over top of my head different story.

For me keeping it shorter better hides the bald spot. Not that I worry about it too much.

I have had very fine, thinning hair since I was a child. Many years ago, a friend who was a hair stylist told me that I should refrain from perming my hair (used to do it) and to not color it, as that may cause breakage and more thinning. Now as a senior, my hair is very fine, I no longer do anything except keep it cut short.

So true. I often see people around town, male and female, that are totally grey, whiite or silver.
It is still so strange to me, used to take twenty minutes to dry my hair, now it takes 5 minutes. I was so used to having all that thick hair. I was prepared for aging but I had no idea it would effect my hair.

I have always had very thick heavy hair as a youngster - started coloring it at 18 after graduating from High School and continued until age 75 when I had chemo (for ovarian cancer) and it all fell out. I was bald for several months. I quit coloring it when it grew back in and just let it grow in dark gray. It at first grew in kinky curly and gradually continued to grow out wavy. There are as many hairs as far as I can tell but the individual hairs are thinner - which I believe is common. As you age and the individual hairs lose color they are rendered thinner. I have it cut short in the summer and grow longer in the winter. It has stayed wavy.

It is still so strange to me, used to take twenty minutes to dry my hair, now it takes 5 minutes. I was so used to having all that thick hair. I was prepared for aging but I had no idea it would effect my hair.
Yes, me too... I've always had nice thick wavy hair, It has been coming out by the handfuls the last few months..😢...it is now thin, fine and frizzy....I'm thinking about a wig.

Back