Lara's Artwork: Paintings, Sculpture, FoodArt, Photography, etc.

Thank you everyone. Nona, maybe you could take a pic of how far along you are with your oranges
and we could talk about it together. Are you using fine details? That is hard.

I took this picture on the same walk in my neighborhood. These clusters of berries grow on a large
deciduous bush called an American Beautyberry aka Callicarpa dichotomy:

View attachment 20953
Beautiful, but so invasive in Florida. Took me years to get them out of my flower beds.
Lara, I saw a painting in a museum quite a few years ago....that almost caused me to be asked to leave. The guard when aghast when I touched the orange peel :( It was so textured....beautiful. Have tried to duplicate it. Think it was a Dutch painter. Cannot remember the name, though. Know it had numerous layers..to achieve it. Have looked and looked at other orange still life oils and have never found one that duplicated his technique.
Do not know if I can scan it...think it may be too large. Will see what I can do.

Nona, it may all have been a Dutch painter as you say. The first painting below is a partial close-up of a master's painting but I'm not sure who painted it. The second one is from an artist who has made an attempt to copy the Dutch Masters. Do these textures come close to what you remember? Last photo is just random…i like it.

Leipzig_Yu 2.11.jpg

oranges-original-oil-painting-natalja-picugina.jpg

orange1.jpg

Thank you, Lara. Not quite. The first looks blistery vs orange peel. The second a little closer. Perhaps my mind has refined it through the years. The third is totally unlike it....but, I too like it.

Thank you Linda. I just read a couple of quotes about art that I thought were particularly good:

"The aim of art is to represent, not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance" - Aristotle

"Don't only practice your art but force your way into it's secrets. For it and knowledge can raise men to the divine" - Ludwig von Beethoven

Here's one I did in acrylic paint, trying to achieve the warmth and depth of an oil paint appearance. They say you can't…and I didn't lol, but I still like it.

IMG_0072.jpg

Beautiful. Felt a instant response of tranquility. Is that how you felt painting it, Lara?
Like your first quote.
What I paint now that i am older is not considered "art" Although there is not a a deep inner significance, they make me smile and sometimes laugh while painting. And it makes others laugh. Bringing joy to me and the recipients....more than enough inner significance for this old soul :D

That painting is amazing! For some reason it makes me start thinking about the pixels in a photograph and how that compares to the medium used. Does painting eventually get down to the pixel level, too? (I'm not saying this very well.:))

Nancy, I would imagine the artist is using thin layers of paint that has been mixed with a clear gloss medium to achieve that effect.

Nona, I would call it both realism and art. He's got an incredible talent! I'm awed by it but some artists would say that it looks too much like a photograph and not expressive or creative enough, but I can appreciate that it's much more beautiful than a photograph could ever achieve…the warmth, the blending, and more.

You know what would have made the silver painting more engaging and considered more as "art"...would have been to add one small thing to the reflection of the room on the silver pot…like a mysterious person just standing in the room facing us…like a man in a gray suit with hat or or cigar or cane…just plain gray and small. It would take a second glance to see it. Then you'd start to ponder, who is that? why is he there? what's he up to?

I like both, but the realism of Andrew Wyeth's "Christina's World" evokes emotions and tells a story as you look at it and ponder awhile. It draws you in. I'm also posting a more contemporary realism (and some surrealism). All have taken realism one step further in my opinion.

Wyeth-web2.jpg

Attachments

• Jean-Paul Avisse - Tutt'Art@.jpg
    Jean-Paul Avisse - Tutt'Art@.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 0ea1907ac20fe47f24665ed256bcf6fa.jpg
    0ea1907ac20fe47f24665ed256bcf6fa.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 25-stunning-surreal-illustrations-creative-photo-manipulation-igor-morski.jpeg
    25-stunning-surreal-illustrations-creative-photo-manipulation-igor-morski.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Lara, I was just refreshing my memory of all your beautiful artwork, very enjoyable way to start the day, thanks. :rose:

Thank you for reminding me. It was fun to do that thread and I almost forgot about it. You're so thoughtful.

It made me wonder where that white cat painting with the blue butterfly went to. I just found it on the laundry room wall behind the door :)

Thanks again.

Thank you Rose and twinkles...and again to SeaBreeze for digging this thread up from the deep.

I've got more, should I? :laugh: That'll teach you.

It's funny but I've altered a few over the years, like the yellow-sky-rural-farm-painting post#90. I decided to make an environmental statement with it. I'll post it after

I tweak it one more time (the horizon). I'll be interested to read reactions (I can always change it back). I've got a series of environmental paintings with statements

going on now.

You're very kind...or crazy :D

I'll wait a couple of weeks until my daughter returns from Europe because she takes better photos than I do and glare is an issue with paintings.

Gulp!!!!
I've only just found this thread, and I am so pleasantly surprised to find that 'our' Lara has such a wonderful talent for painting, a rare gift indeed. Well done, Lara, and thank you for sharing your beautiful artwork with us....:D

Back