Larger check register ......

rgp

Is there one / are there ones available ? My old eyes , & my diminshed ability to write small sure could use one.

My penmanship is still ok, most of the time, but there is a nerve in my neck that acts up and when it does, writing small is difficult.

I thought about the copy / enlarge route but ....... my copier is out of ink again ...... and I just decided that, for as little I use it ..... fifty bucks for cartridges is too much.

You can make your own any size using Excel.

But still, don't ya need a printer for that ?

I think I'll start with calling my bank , see what they might have if anything .

Although , that one that Knight suggested looks like it might be the trick.

But still, don't ya need a printer for that ?

I think I'll start with calling my bank , see what they might have if anything .

Although , that one that Knight suggested looks like it might be the trick.
You don’t have to print it out, if you want to keep a running total on your computer. Just make sure to “save” each entry.
I thought everyone had a printer.

The check register is for our use. Most banks do not care if you use the ones they provide or others, as long as your method helps eliminate overdrafts. Nor do they care how many lines in those registers you use per entry. I've worked in various banks in various positions, including helping people find their mistake when they don't agree with bank balance, &/or are overdrawn.

Thing is checks are not only thing you record in them, for ease of reconciling your account (i do weekly online) we should record everything-- debit card purchases, ACH Payments (automatic payments you authorize), deposits as well checks asap. Years ago i started skipping a line between most entries for easier reading of them. In the check # spot i put codes for type of transaction: DC, ACH, O/L or the check # for the 2-3 i actually write a month.

When i make a payment on line i put my abbreviation of Payee name (you only need full one on the check) on one line and the confirmation/transaction # on the second, even tho many companies will email confirming payment.

Do whatever works for you, while keeping in mind that some form of recording transactions as you make them is best way to avoid problems especially since so many older folks are more prone to memory issues.

I don't
Just more stuff

I use Staples

Take a pic
Email it
Pick it up

Costs a buck

Or just use their copier
or the library's copier
You can buy a printer on Craigslist for less than $10. It’s the ink that costs the money, unless you have a laser printer and use toner. You get more copies for less money, but the initial investment can be salty.

You can buy a printer on Craigslist for less than $10. It’s the ink that costs the money, unless you have a laser printer and use toner. You get more copies for less money, but the initial investment can be salty.
I understand
It's not the cost with me
It's just I don't care to have more stuff

aaaand
I only print stuff about twice a month

You don’t have to print it out, if you want to keep a running total on your computer. Just make sure to “save” each entry.
I thought everyone had a printer.

I have a printer ...... but once again, the ink has dried up, and i don't print enough to make it worth my while to keep spending fifty-bucks for ink. The last time i printed anything was likely five years ago.

And as far as keeping it on the computer ? seems a whole lot more hassle as opposed to just jotting it down pencil & paper ?

I guess I'm just old-fashioned ??

I had time to think about "check register". It's not, it's a receipt of funds in & spending electronically register. I looked at ours and did find 3 checks written over the last 3 years. Paid property taxes by check but future will be paid electronically.

Wife thought keeping a separate accounting of money in & money out electronically wasn't needed. Until after a month she went to view the bank info online. With billing payment delay for online auto payments she wasn't happy not knowing what the exact balance was. Now she records the pay out dates & funds in dates & balances the account at the end of each month. Now she is happy with 100% accuracy knowing what is in our checking account.

We don't have a his & hers accounts. It's one pot that we've always had since the 1st. day of marriage.

I pay everything on line. And I haven't "balanced my checkbook" for about 20 years. Why waste my time when the bank does it for me. I can check my balance any time and anywhere from this chromebook or my iPhone. Maybe once a year I have to write paper check.

I had time to think about "check register". It's not, it's a receipt of funds in & spending electronically register. I looked at ours and did find 3 checks written over the last 3 years. Paid property taxes by check but future will be paid electronically.

Wife thought keeping a separate accounting of money in & money out electronically wasn't needed. Until after a month she went to view the bank info online. With billing payment delay for online auto payments she wasn't happy not knowing what the exact balance was. Now she records the pay out dates & funds in dates & balances the account at the end of each month. Now she is happy with 100% accuracy knowing what is in our checking account.

We don't have a his & hers accounts. It's one pot that we've always had since the 1st. day of marriage.
I had 1 Year bookkeeping and 2 of accounting in High School. So from the time of my first bank account i was a stickler for keeping accurate records.

I get that

It's just that I'm quite anal about transactions/balances

I'll compare my balances with my online bank
Keeps me resting easy
Hey - whatever works for you!

Here's my experience - I retired as VP Accounting/Controller of a large company, I was there for about 25 year, and when I left we were processing about $80 million/week thru AP, all paid with paper checks (I'm sure that has changed by now..). In those 25 years we never found a bank clearing error. Not one. Yes, we "balance the checkbook" every month, and the primary benefit was to identify old, old outstanding checks that needed to become part of our escheat reserves. Needless to say, we had other controls around the process to prevent fraud.

I have just about everything on autopay, but I still balance my checking account and verify my credit card balance at least once a month.

The only paper checks I still write are to my accountant, the IRS, and a few charitable contributions.

I went to autopay because I was concerned about not having anyone trustworthy to help me if I was hospitalized.

It has worked well for me.

Back