Late Fee Scam

win231

SF VIP
On two different occasions, I noticed a late fee added to my balance. Both times, I phoned my bank & found out when the check was debited, & both times it was deposited before the due date. One was for $29.00 & the other was $35.00. When I called the bank connected to the credit card, (QVC) all I got was recordings - they set it up that way, hoping you'll get frustrated & just pay it. I spoke to a supervisor at the company, who said they no longer have anything to do with the bank. I said, "Fine. You can send me all the bills you want & you can add all the interest you want; you're just wasting postage; I won't pay any late fee."

Some utility companies are doing the same thing - they'll say they received your payment late, hoping you won't check with your bank. Or, they'll simply deposit your check late to make an extra $35.00.
I spoke to some friends who are experiencing the same thing. It's happening more & more in this economy.
I suggest you check with your bank whenever you see a late fee added.

Last edited:
I pay my credit cards online well before the due date and always get a confirmation email. Have never failed to get the confirmation email. Would not have a debit card for my bank account. Too easy to hack and empty your account. Even though you get your money back, I would not want the problems dealing with it.

I pay my credit cards online well before the due date and always get a confirmation email. Have never failed to get the confirmation email. Would not have a debit card for my bank account. Too easy to hack and empty your account. Even though you get your money back, I would not want the problems dealing with it.

We have never had a problem with our debit cards, but I check our accounts at least once a day, if not twice.

I pay my credit cards 2 weeks before there due , my daughter used her debit card at a local store n someone in California bought $100 worth of stuff with it, she lives in Ma. you never get your money back n you have to cancel your card, wait for a new one, I would never let anyone draw from my bank account!!

I keep a minimal amount on my debit card.. just enough for the grocery shopping...

I always pay my credit cards well before the due date

In the uk it's rare these days for anyone to pay by cheque, it's not phased out completely but for years now almost everyone pays utilities etc by direct debit, or by card.. and I don't think I know a single supermarket anywhere that takes cheques now as payment at all ,, and cheques will soon be obsolete

I keep a minimal amount on my debit card.. just enough for the grocery shopping...

I always pay my credit cards well before the due date

In the uk it's rare these days for anyone to pay by cheque, it's not phased out completely but for years now almost everyone pays utilities etc by direct debit, or by card.. and I don't think I know a single supermarket anywhere that takes cheques now as payment at all ,, and cheques will soon be obsolete

I hope cheques won't be completely obsolete. Like most people I very rarely use one, but there is one person who receives money from us for their birthday and at Christmas, to whom we send a cheque. We would otherwise have to put money in their cards, which I would sooner not do.

Most of my bills are auto deducted by debit card or mc. Never had any problem. I rarely use cheques and prefer an account transfer done online with my bank. Again, never had a problem. I receive emails when my charge card statement is due and pay it then.

When I paid by check, I used to run into this a lot. One bank did not process checks on Monday or Friday, So that left only three days, T-W-T, when they did process checks. And when a holiday fell on a Monday, which most do, they would not process checks on Tuesday. The bank would get a check on Thursday ( of course, they don't process checks that day the come in) and if there were a holiday, may not process it until Wed, 6 days later. And you might be "late" with your payment. But use direct deposit and electronic payments, so you won't run into this thing. BTW, I just could believe how callous they about when they processed checks. I'm supposed to know and plan ahead for the quirks in your accounting practices.

When I paid by check, I used to run into this a lot. One bank did not process checks on Monday or Friday, So that left only three days, T-W-T, when they did process checks. And when a holiday fell on a Monday, which most do, they would not process checks on Tuesday. The bank would get a check on Thursday ( of course, they don't process checks that day the come in) and if there were a holiday, may not process it until Wed, 6 days later. And you might be "late" with your payment. But use direct deposit and electronic payments, so you won't run into this thing. BTW, I just could believe how callous they about when they processed checks. I'm supposed to know and plan ahead for the quirks in your accounting practices.
I'd have found another bank. In a hurry.

I have a debit card, which I have to use when withdrawing money from an ATM. Well, maybe I don't "have to" use it, I suppose I could write a check and go inside and stand in lne to hand it to the teller. I don't do that, and probably neither does anybody else in this century. But I don't like carrying around the debit card either. What if I lost my wallet?

With a credit card, if you want to debate a charge, you can do it, and the bank will hold up payment until the matter is resolved. You always have some recourse. No such thing with a debit card. Everything I've read about this warns us against using a debit card for purchases. They are not safe.

I don't use credit cards only a debit cards for our accounts, I like the money to be taken out a.s.a.p.
I hate credit cards which was part of my financial downfall years ago. Long story short..after not having credit cards for years, it was hard for me to increase my credit score. Once I was approved for a few credit cards... (along with my auto loan) after using them for a few months, my credit score really increased...GO FIGURE!!!! I have about 5..I only use 2. One credit card automatically closed because I have not used it in a few years.. which decreased my credit score a few points..WOW!!! A good Credit score is like playing Chess.. you have to know the game to stay ahead. I use my credit cards (only 2) responsively now days. One is higher than I would like but I plan on paying it out in full soon.

Not a problem here "in my neck of the woods". We have automatic bank withdrawals for our rent, cell phones, internet & land phone. We never worry even when gone on a holiday. We have never paid late fees. When it comes to credit cards, we pay well ahead. I accept the fact that the banks are sneaky & love "nickel & dimeing" their customers. This amounts to millions over a period of a year. Companies who cannot provide a live voice should go out of business. I suggest that if you get "the round around" from any bank tell them you want to move your money & all accounts to another bank.

Back