Lefties: Is this true?

Wow. Isn’t dyslexia writing backwards.
I mean, what you’re talking about is writing complete opposite writing. It’s almost genius. There seems to be much that we don’t know about. Look how incredibly talented autistic kids can be. Some are born knowing how to play piano professionally or how to speak another language that nobody taught them. I know... way off topic🤐
Dyslexics cannot read and when they are able to read a word, do not understand it. The spoken word and pictures are what they comprehend. Many are brilliant people.

I am left handed and I come to solving problems in a very skewed manner. I am also very clumsy as I look for everything to be on the left side of me. In nursing, I learned to adapt to many right handed items, but not easy for me. I have to think before I act. When I fractured both bones in my left wrist, I had to be fed as I cannot maneuver a fork or spoon with my right hand.

Dyslexics cannot read and when they are able to read a word, do not understand it. The spoken word and pictures are what they comprehend. Many are brilliant people.
Wow. I had no idea. All I know is that when I was in public school there were a couple of people who were exceptionally smart kids but when it came to reading they’d find all kinds of excuses not to read. One day at the end of the year one of the kids broke down in class and said he didn’t know how he made it to grade 3/4(?) cause he didn’t know how to read. He was in tears, it was so painful for him. I felt so bad for him and couldn’t understand how he even managed to get by. The stress must have been torture.
So how do dyslexics finally learn to read? What causes this? Does anyone know?

Funny story from my childhood. My dad was left handed and very talented. He built a sailboat and even sewed the canvas sails. To sew sails there is a leather gadget called a "sailor's palm" that is used to push a big needle through the canvas.
We were watching a show with a man from a sail company sewing a sail. The commentator asked him if there was such a thing as a left handed sailor's palm. He sort of chuckled, and said, "That is like a left handed monkey wrench"
My dad went into a drawer, and said, "Like heck!", and showed me his left handed sailor's palm. :)

My mom believed left handed people were not as smart as right handed people. So she forced me to do everything right handed. I didn't learn that until I was around 20. I was too young & have no memory of that. Good thing, otherwise I would have realized how stupid she was.
I can only write right handed, but I hold silverware left handed.

Dyslexics cannot read and when they are able to read a word, do not understand it.

Simply not true.

Wow. I had no idea. All I know is that when I was in public school there were a couple of people who were exceptionally smart kids but when it came to reading they’d find all kinds of excuses not to read. One day at the end of the year one of the kids broke down in class and said he didn’t know how he made it to grade 3/4(?) cause he didn’t know how to read. He was in tears, it was so painful for him. I felt so bad for him and couldn’t understand how he even managed to get by. The stress must have been torture.

Easy enough to google. Dyslexics can learn to read, and in fact they make some of the best speed readers.

This is an intense example.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/03/05/health/dyslexia-simulation/index.html

In baseball, after hitting the ball, the batter starts running to his right. It would be harder in terms of time consumed for a left-handed thrower to throw out the guy running to first. Thus, you don’t see scouts interested in signing lefty throwers to play 2nd, 3rd, or shortstop. Similarly, a left-throwing catcher would have to make a throw to the 1st base side of 2nd base when a runner’s trying to steal. Again, you see no interest in signing left-throwing catchers. Every fraction of a second can be important when trying to nail batters running to 1st or base runners trying to swipe second.

This discrimination has lasted 175 years (with rare exceptions way back in the day) so to be fair to lefties, baseball for the next 175 years should require batters to run to the left and rename 3rd base as first base, and 1st base as third base.

It is a good thing I didn't pursue a career in baseball. It would have been bad for me and for the team - and it saved the country from another useless lawsuit. :)

Tony

Simply not true.

Easy enough to google. Dyslexics can learn to read, and in fact they make some of the best speed readers.

This is an intense example.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/03/05/health/dyslexia-simulation/index.html
I really wondered about this because I’ve known people with this that have learned to read and gone on to be very successful people. One in five people get this. That’s quite a few people and with that many people I would think that there’d be major advantages being done to help.

Thank you for that. 👍

In baseball, after hitting the ball, the batter starts running to his right. It would be harder in terms of time consumed for a left-handed thrower to throw out the guy running to first. Thus, you don’t see scouts interested in signing lefty throwers to play 2nd, 3rd, or shortstop. Similarly, a left-throwing catcher would have to make a throw to the 1st base side of 2nd base when a runner’s trying to steal. Again, you see no interest in signing left-throwing catchers. Every fraction of a second can be important when trying to nail batters running to 1st or base runners trying to swipe second.

This discrimination has lasted 175 years (with rare exceptions way back in the day) so to be fair to lefties, baseball for the next 175 years should require batters to run to the left and rename 3rd base as first base, and 1st base as third base.
Imagine all the poor left handed kids who couldn’t play baseball. Did they even have left handed baseball gloves back then? These are things I never thought much about until I broke my right wrist.

i used to write backwards when I was a little girl. Always liked to read books back to front.
The 1st grade teacher constantly hit me with a ruler when I wrote with my left hand. (until my Mother stepped in)
That was common back then. Lefties (I am one) were considered lacking something or slightly "off". I hated the right hand desks and still hate clip boards and spiral notebooks. There are a whole line of products strictly for lefties.

I was one of those kids. I just couldn't get the concept of how letters made words. A small d and a b looked alike. I did have a photographic memory and had all the Dick and Jane books memorized, so it "looked" like I could read. I don't think dyslexia was understood back then; they just said "you're not trying hard enough."

So, into third grade I went, still not reading. Then one day, I'll remember it until my dying day, something went SNAP in my brain and OMG! SO *THAT'S* WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT! Some broken link in my brain closed and I LEARNED TO READ!

By 4th grade, I tested out at a 9th grade reading level and by 5th grade, I was reading at a college level.

So, yes, dyslexics CAN learn to read.

I was one of those kids. I just couldn't get the concept of how letters made words. A small d and a b looked alike. I did have a photographic memory and had all the Dick and Jane books memorized, so it "looked" like I could read. I don't think dyslexia was understood back then; they just said "you're not trying hard enough."

So, into third grade I went, still not reading. Then one day, I'll remember it until my dying day, something went SNAP in my brain and OMG! SO *THAT'S* WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT! Some broken link in my brain closed and I LEARNED TO READ!

By 4th grade, I tested out at a 9th grade reading level and by 5th grade, I was reading at a college level.

So, yes, dyslexics CAN learn to read.
That must have been so frustrating. There wasn’t much information about it back then and it did seem like many kids were accused of slacking off or not trying hard enough. This poor guy would get so frustrated and I felt so bad for him. I’m glad to know that people can overcome this. It would be horrible not being able to read.
It looks like you made up for lost time.
That’s awesome. You’re far from slow.

Imagine all the poor left handed kids who couldn’t play baseball. Did they even have left handed baseball gloves back then? These are things I never thought much about until I broke my right wrist.

They had left-handed gloves for kiddos in the 50s and probably earlier. The easiest to find were 1st base mitts because a lot of lefties naturally-gravitated to that position, but they also had lefty gloves for outfielders.

Never saw a left-handed catcher's mitt at least for kids back then.

But there was a major league catcher, Paul Richards, who was ambidextrous and who naturally relied on his right hand when in the field. One day though he caught both games of a double-header. After the 1st game his arm was sore and he caught the 2nd game left-handed, with a left-hander's mitt.

It seems to me that any bit of being ambidextrous would probably come from having to use the right hand more often because the tools we use daily are intended for right-handers. So, at least for me, there is nothing special - just adaptability.

What I never understand is those who make being left-handed a political thing and/or wear clothing declaring something special about being left-handed. I just think some of us were born that way and we adapt. Simple as that.

Tony

Such as adapting to right-handed guitars? Jimi Hendrix solution was to use a right-handed guitar and play it upside down. Did all right with it too. :)

Slightly off-topic and yet related is the observation that some people believe that others are invalids when it comes to using their non-dominant hand.

I'm thinking of these true crime documentaries where a victim apparently committed suicide by firearm. E.g., the investigator will observe: "The gun was in the victim's left hand" (or alternately "The wound is in the left temple" ...) but we know that he was right-handed." Huh? How much dexterity and strength are needed to pull back a hammer and fire a revolver with a non-dominant extremity?

And yet this fact alone seems invariably to raise the possibility of foul play.

Maybe it's an investigator's duty to be overly suspicious.

Such as adapting to right-handed guitars? Jimi Hendrix solution was to use a right-handed guitar and play it upside down. Did all right with it too. :)

Well, I just learned to play it the way I saw other people do it, so I learned right handed. As far as I am concerned, when I don't yet know how to play guitar, it will feel strange whether I am playing right or left handed, so it shouldn't really matter at those early stages.

However, I have since learned that there might possibly (not sure...) different levels of left-handedness. I know a guitar player who insists that she could ONLY play guitar left-handed from the first time she picked it up. So in the face of that information, I honestly don't have a definitive answer, and can only report my own experience.

Tony

I’m right handed. When I was in counseling back years ago, my counselor had me do an exercise to help me open up emotionally (lots of bottling up back then 🙄). She had me write out my thoughts on what I was struggling with using my left hand. Gushes of tears... very cathartic. I guess the Left hand is connected to Right side of brain, the more creative/emotional side.

I’m right handed. When I was in counseling back years ago, my counselor had me do an exercise to help me open up emotionally (lots of bottling up back then 🙄). She had me write out my thoughts on what I was struggling with using my left hand. Gushes of tears... very cathartic. I guess the Left hand is connected to Right side of brain, the more creative/emotional side.

Well, I can tell you that if I had to write with my right hand, I would probably be in tears sooner than later too. :)

I tell ya Martha, the boy jest ain't right - he's a LEFTY! :)

Tony

Funny story from my childhood. My dad was left handed and very talented. He built a sailboat and even sewed the canvas sails. To sew sails there is a leather gadget called a "sailor's palm" that is used to push a big needle through the canvas.
We were watching a show with a man from a sail company sewing a sail. The commentator asked him if there was such a thing as a left handed sailor's palm. He sort of chuckled, and said, "That is like a left handed monkey wrench"
My dad went into a drawer, and said, "Like heck!", and showed me his left handed sailor's palm. :)
I wish I had known him..I like him even better with every story. Love, Kayelle

My clan were supposedly all left handed. This was not actually true, they were at best only slightly more left handed than everyone else. What it appears is that they learned to fight left handed as this gave them a tactical advantage fighting with a sword.
Their ancestral homes were built with left-handed spiral stairs which were easily defended against right handed attackers.
Quite a few of my relatives were left handed including my uncle who was a shoemaker and had some left handed tools.

My elder daughter is very left handed and at school there was only one brand of pen that she could use. When I was at primary school in the 50's, we had left handed pens if needed. I'm told that this was very progressive thinking for the times.

That's not quite accurate. They have trouble reading because their minds mix up the letters. They can write but, again, they get some of the letters mixed up. However, it's perfectly possible to make sense of their writing.

Back