Lessons in life, (you might say biblical lessons), any come to mind?

grahamg

Old codger
My father used to like the story about "The Prodigal Son", (maybe thinking his life had some similarities, or perhaps it was just that his parents had an old set of prints depicting the story).

In my life I think I can claim that the story of "Joseph and his coat of many colours" has some echoes in my life, (in a very minor way of course!! :) ).

Any stories you feel have any parralels in your life you'd like to impart?

Does using distilled water to make wine count? Not exactly like the water into wine bible story but close enough maybe. I tried this.

https://www.homebrewit.com/collections/wine-equipment-kits-1

Didn't work out to well.
I once followed a recipe to making "stinging nettle beer", and was very lucky because I chose a June 2016 evening to make it, add the sugar, fresh nettle heads, and yeast, when record 37 degree C temperatures were set, so most of the sugar was turned to alcohol.

I never made another batch anything like as good, and put this down to the fact the process didn't work so well, and the yeast wasn't so active at normal summer temperatures of 25 degrees C.

No idea just how strong it was, but when you drank it your stomach felt warmed up, as it might be drinking strong spirits like whiskey!

So not quite turning "water into wine" but as near as I'll get obviously! :)

Last edited:
There must be some more stories, or life lessons, with echoes from biblical times, one or more of us can relate to in some way(?)

Now let me see, i doubt any of us have witnessed or been helped by anything like "The feeding of the five thousand", yet I suppose we've all witnessed great fund raisiG

Lessons in life, (you might say biblical lessons), any come to mind?​

Any stories you feel have any parralels in your life you'd like to impart?
I think I'm one of the ten sleeping virgins.
The wick is still there, but not much oil left in my lamp.....

OK, serious;

The prodigal

That's been me

Several times

Might not be done just yet

Well as I have said before I was raised by my grandparents. One day Grandma and I went a hike along the beach, we normally would climb the cliff and walk around the small town above the beach then catch a bus and go home. We climbed the cliff and Grandma said she was tired and wanted to catch the bus right there. Now I was about 10 and I said "Oh don't be a party poop". Well that day Grandma tried to walk me to death and eventually I said "Grandma I'm tired can we go home?" Grandma said "oh don't be a party poop" and kept walking!

I learned that day any time anyone tells me they are tired to listen and believe them. Needless to say I never called anyone a party poop ever again for any reason.:ROFLMAO:

Lessons in life, (you might say biblical lessons), any come to mind?
I think I'm one of the ten sleeping virgins.
The wick is still there, but not much oil left in my lamp.....
OK, serious;
The prodigal, That's been me, Several times, Might not be done just yet
And not coming home until holes in shoes/boots, ("well, socks, shirt, hat, and trousers at the very least I hope",....., :) to show your determination!!!).
Did they "kill another fatted calf" each time?

Well as I have said before I was raised by my grandparents. One day Grandma and I went a hike along the beach, we normally would climb the cliff and walk around the small town above the beach then catch a bus and go home. We climbed the cliff and Grandma said she was tired and wanted to catch the bus right there. Now I was about 10 and I said "Oh don't be a party poop". Well that day Grandma tried to walk me to death and eventually I said "Grandma I'm tired can we go home?" Grandma said "oh don't be a party poop" and kept walking!

I learned that day any time anyone tells me they are tired to listen and believe them. Needless to say I never called anyone a party poop ever again for any reason.:ROFLMAO:
A tough lady and no mistake, ("you don't think, looking back she knew what you were likely to say, and was already intent on walking the legs off you?"). :)

Not a doubt in my mind
Just never found out who told 'em
Sometimes I'm guessing they get a premonition of you maybe arriving, or something about to go wrong, (my mother telling my father she thought my marriage was heading for the rocks, or breaking up before even I knew, how can you explain that kind of insight?! :unsure: ).

Btw, on the other thread you listed grandkids and great grandkids,.............., surely not, you must be as old as Methusalah, but you almost look like a spring chicken, (...., then again maybe there is a likeness?):

Methusalah.1.jpg

Matthew 6:34 is “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” It is the thirty-fourth, and final, verse of the sixth chapter of the Gospel of Matthew in the New Testament and is part of the Sermon on the Mount.
Its a reassuring piece of verse isn't it, and good to hear whether it works or not! :)

Sometimes I'm guessing they get a premonition of you maybe arriving, or something about to go wrong, (my mother telling my father she thought my marriage was heading for the rocks, or breaking up before even I knew, how can you explain that kind of insight?! :unsure: ).
Yeah, premonitions....whoa
Wimin got that over us, grahammy
Keeps one on their toes

Btw, on the other thread you listed grandkids and great grandkids,.............., surely not,
Been busy....early on

Got 17 grands
Spread all over the country
......and some other countries....not counting them

Ever once in awhile, one will come to the door
'Grampa?!'

They go away when I give 'em money

Last edited:
Philippians 4:8 King James Version (KJV)

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

(When horrible stuff in the news is keeping me awake.) I also love Paco's passage.

More on the "Good Samaritan" theme:
https://ofhsoupkitchen.org/good-samaritan-life-today

Quote:
"In the story, a Jew was robbed and left to die by his assailants. Two highly respected men passed by him but decided to walk away. Then a Samaritan came along. Unlike the other two, he tended to the man’s wounds and brought him to an inn. Then he gave money to the innkeeper saying, “Look after him and when I return, I will reimburse you for any expense you may have”.

What makes this story very compelling is that Jews and Samaritans are historical enemies. Jews don’t talk to Samaritans as they consider them renegades. And this enmity is returned by the Samaritans.

But what has a thousand-year-old story to do with us? Like any parable, Jesus used this story to teach us lessons about life and about God. Here are some of the most valuable lessons from the Good Samaritan parable that relates so much to life today:

Help When Someone Needs Help​

Having the intent to help is good but acting on that intent is much better. The Samaritan’s intent didn’t save the wounded man from death. It’s his actions that ultimately saved the man’s life. He didn’t walk away just like the two men before him. He decided to do something."

The civil rights activist Martin Luther King Jr. famously said:

“On the parable of the Good Samaritan: “I imagine that the first question the priest and Levite asked was: ‘If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?’ But by the very nature of his concern, the good Samaritan reversed the question: ‘If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?”

Back