Life is a sobering lesson.

Bretrick

I grew up in a household without love.
My Father was drunk every day I knew him bar a couple of years towards the end when he attempted to stop drinking.
Because of his alcoholism, my Mother was extremely sad and frustrated.
Her outlet was to beat up on her five children. Her method of punishment was with a solid wooden broom handle cut down to three feet with which she would use on us regularly.
With a husband who came home drunk every night, after 11 pm or midnight, Mum looked for love elsewhere and found it with one man.
When dad found out about it, he threw mum out,(1969).
Mum and her new friend moved to the capital city and after twelve months a decree nisi was granted allowing her to remarry.
My father worked full time so needed someone to look after us children so he asked mum's mother to come over from Melbourne to raise us children.
My Grandmother was very old school and religious so had some very strict ideas about children,
"They should be seen and not heard"
So even though life up to then was quite miserable, it became more so under Nan's regime.
Growing up in such an environment left me floundering. No one gave me advice, no one taught me life lessons so my childhood was full of mistakes and wrong doing.
Several court appearances for petty theft, drinking and smoking at a very early age saw me spiral downwards for many years.
Being diagnosed with Cirrhosis at age 30.
When my Nan died, I bought my own home and left dad all alone.
The other four children had fled the home previously. I stayed to look after Nan who had started to deteriorate.
I never had a conversation with my father until I was 22/23? Even that only came about because I met him in the pub and we sort of became "drinking buddies" getting pissed together.
Finally Dad died of Cirrhosis aged 67 and I was able to leave my home town with nothing to hold me there.
I moved 4000 km's away to Perth because I wanted to be as far away from my home town as possible, leaving all those bad memories behind.
After 31 years I have never been back and I have no idea where any of my siblings are and do not need to know.
So, what have I learnt from such an upbringing?
What is important in life?
Most important thing is to be a good friend to those who have gravitated towards you.
Do all you can to make them feel valued and wanted, but without allowing yourself to be used.
I admit that I am far from perfect and as such continue to make mistakes. The difference now is I can accept that and admit those mistakes instead of denying any wrong doing which was my want in my youth.
I help those that need help if I am able to.
One of the most sorrowful feelings a person can have is to feel/be all alone. When a person feels they are unwanted by society then misery is their constant companion and life becomes unbearable.
This is one of the reasons suicide is on the increase. Hopelessness takes over so to go to sleep permanently removes that pain.
I personally am not in that situation so no alerts please.
Allow yourself to be happy and learn to laugh.
Life can be too serious, especially if we have come from an unhappy background.
For years I was miserable with the "Woe is me" mentality until one day I was sick of being miserable and sought out those things that brought me pleasure and some semblance of normality.
It was a struggle but eventually I allowed myself to be happy and laugh at frivolous things.
I suppose one of the most valuable lessons I have learnt is being honest.
With myself, with others. Denying honesty leads to heartache and eventually misery as those around you remove you from their lives. No one can abide dishonest people.
Okay, you may be able to fool others but you can not fool yourself.
How will you really feel, laying in bed at night, thinking back on your deception?
A few musings from Bretrick

Last edited:
You've done a lot of introspection, Brett. You survived your life experiences, learned from them, and despite your hardships, you strived to overcome them, succeeded, and came out on the other side a better man. Thank you for sharing your story. I'm proud to know you, my friend. :)

Bretrick I understand you completely... I had a very similar upbringing...daily beatings.. my mum getting beaten regularly too.. unfortunately every time she tried to escape he found her and dragged her back.. she took her own life... and we kids were left with the monster..

Anyway this is not my story... this is about your life, but just to show not only do I understand, I also know the after effects of that abusive childhood too.. which affects us all of our adult lives in various ways, , regardless of how we try to suppress it..it's how we deal with it as adults is how we survive or don't...

Bretrick I understand you completely... I had a very similar upbringing...daily beatings.. my mum getting beaten regularly too.. unfortunately every time she tried to escape he found her and dragged her back.. she took her own life... and we kids were left with the monster..

Anyway this is not my story... this is about your life, but just to show not only do I understand, I also know the after effects of that abusive childhood too.. which affects us all of our adult lives in various ways, , regardless of how we try to suppress it..it's how we deal with it as adults is how we survive or don't...
Early abuse does affect us for a very long time. With me starting drinking at 12 years of age, leading to cirrhrosis by 30.
Running away to WA never stopped the torment because, even though the beatings and abuse stopped, I had to deal with my messed up mind which took 10 years of on and off counselling.
Thankfully, I have dealt with all that and am progressing through life under my own terms,

You've done a lot of introspection, Brett. You survived your life experiences, learned from them, and despite your hardships, you strived to overcome them, succeeded, and came out on the other side a better man. Thank you for sharing your story. I'm proud to know you, my friend. :)
Thank you for your kind words.
I have come out the other end, not unscathed, but more able to handle life on my own terms.

i know how difficult all this was to type...i can relate...
just thinking this morning about the hurt in this world...torn apart families...damaged children...changing the world into an angry place...
God Bless you
Thank you.
The world is a wicked place and unfortunately one needs to really harden the heart so as not to be unduly shaken by it.

I remember you mentioned something about your past in previous posts. I am curious what made you think about it now? Sometimes things trigger a memory and then we go down that rabbit hole. That is the reason why I try to not remember the bad things from my past (I have had my share, too) because we cannot change them. We can only move forward, and it's nice to see you are doing just that!

One thing I learned in psychology class was that it matters how we cope in difficult situations, and the ones who have the most coping mechanisms are better off. You did good to break the mold of your past and move on. I am doing that day-by-day. Being on SF has helped!

My Father was drunk every day I knew him bar a couple of years towards the end when he attempted to stop drinking.
Her outlet was to beat up on her five children. Her method of punishment was with a solid wooden broom handle cut down to three feet with which she would use on us regularly.
With a husband who came home drunk every night, after 11 pm or midnight, Mum looked for love elsewhere and found it with one man.
Mum and her new friend moved to the capital city and after twelve months a decree nisi was granted allowing her to remarry.
My father worked full time so needed someone to look after us children so he asked mum's mother to come over from Melbourne to raise us children.
My Grandmother was very old school and religious so had some very strict ideas about children,
So even though life up to then was quite miserable, it became more so under Nan's regime.
Growing up in such an environment left me floundering. No one gave me advice, no one taught me life lessons so my childhood was full of mistakes and wrong doing.
Several court appearances for petty theft, drinking and smoking at a very early age saw me spiral downwards for many years.
The other four children had fled the home previously. I stayed to look after Nan who had started to deteriorate.
I never had a conversation with my father until I was 22/23? Even that only came about because I met him in the pub and we sort of became "drinking buddies" getting pissed together.
Finally Dad died of Cirrhosis aged 67 and I was able to leave my home town with nothing to hold me there.
I moved 4000 km's away to Perth because I wanted to be as far away from my home town as possible, leaving all those bad memories behind.
After 31 years I have never been back and I have no idea where any of my siblings are and do not need to know.
Most important thing is to be a good friend to those who have gravitated towards you.
Do all you can to make them feel valued and wanted, but without allowing yourself to be used.
I admit that I am far from perfect and as such continue to make mistakes. The difference now is I can accept that and admit those mistakes instead of denying any wrong doing which was my want in my youth.
One of the most sorrowful feelings a person can have is to feel/be all alone. When a person feels they are unwanted by society then misery is their constant companion and life becomes unbearable.
This is one of the reasons suicide is on the increase. Hopelessness takes over so to go to sleep permanently removes that pain.
For years I was miserable with the "Woe is me" mentality until one day I was sick of being miserable and sought out those things that brought me pleasure and some semblance of normality.
It was a struggle but eventually I allowed myself to be happy and laugh at frivolous things.
With myself, with others. Denying honesty leads to heartache and eventually misery as those around you remove you from their lives. No one can abide dishonest people.
How will you really feel, laying in bed at night, thinking back on your deception?
A few musing from Bretrick
Thank you for opening up to members of this forum.

Congratulations on overcoming serious deprivation as a child who was starved of love.

You are most certainly an honest, no bullsh*t person and you are right about the value of being connected to friends who bring a sense of self worth. Hold your head up high because you a strong individual in that you have learnt from, and have internalised, some of life's more serious setbacks and you are still standing. Many others would have been defeated by your personal history.

❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Last edited:
Thank you for opening up to members of this forum.

Congratulations on overcoming serious deprivation as a child who was starved of love.

You are most certainly an honest, no bullsh*t person and you are right about the value of being connected to friends who bring a sense of self worth. Hold your head up high because you a strong individual in that you have learnt from, and have internalised, some of life's more serious setbacks and you are still standing. Many others would have been defeated by your personal history.

❤️ ❤️ ❤️
Thank you for your kind words, Warrigal. :)

I remember you mentioned something about your past in previous posts. I am curious what made you think about it now? Sometimes things trigger a memory and then we go down that rabbit hole. That is the reason why I try to not remember the bad things from my past (I have had my share, too) because we cannot change them. We can only move forward, and it's nice to see you are doing just that!

One thing I learned in psychology class was that it matters how we cope in difficult situations, and the ones who have the most coping mechanisms are better off. You did good to break the mold of your past and move on. I am doing that day-by-day. Being on SF has helped!
My dream last night was about Queenstown, Tasmania, my home town and it involved all that I related in this post.
I share my thoughts because they might help someone who had similar experiences but are keeping them bottled up.

So many of us, including myself, had poor upbringings. My father was not a drunk, nor were drugs involved, but he was emotionally a hard man who didn't mind handing out a beating for trivial things. To this day I find myself having to overcome thoughts and ideas ingrained into me by those times. I believe many of my failures are down to those formative years.

I spend more time introspectively considering not only my childhood, but my entire life up to this point. I'm trying to learn, trying to find ways to improve. It is all we can do, since time only moves in one direction.

I'm sure you've read all the usual things about moving forward, so they don't need reposting here. Besides, they're all easier said than done. The only thing I can say, like your OP, that there's always a forum such as this to vent your frustration. I wish you the best.

So many of us, including myself, had poor upbringings. My father was not a drunk, nor were drugs involved, but he was emotionally a hard man who didn't mind handing out a beating for trivial things. To this day I find myself having to overcome thoughts and ideas ingrained into me by those times. I believe many of my failures are down to those formative years.

I spend more time introspectively considering not only my childhood, but my entire life up to this point. I'm trying to learn, trying to find ways to improve. It is all we can do, since time only moves in one direction.

I'm sure you've read all the usual things about moving forward, so they don't need reposting here. Besides, they're all easier said than done. The only thing I can say, like your OP, that there's always a forum such as this to vent your frustration. I wish you the best.
I think many people have a story like ours. We live, we deal with it and we move on to better things.

Last edited:
I am happy you turned your life situation around to be a positive influence based on your life experience. It doesn’t take much effort to find love and happiness all you need to do is let go and rely on your senses to guide the way.

Sometimes I forget what is important to me especially when I am stressed, but I always return to the simpler state of mind and awareness by shutting out the noise and focusing on each moment as it were my last. What do I want to experience in my last moment of life? Hopefully it will be something pleasant rather than dwelling on useless, petty junk that distorts the real meaning of love and happiness. It is my responsibility how and what I think about, I don’t want to be a fool.

Back