Live longer....with alcohol ?

rgp

Heard on the news just this morning that now the studies say.....that the key to longer life may well be moderate amounts of alcohol & caffeine .

Web-Md is also now saying that being overweight [not obese] in our 70's may be the key to longer life as well.

What to believe???? I wish the hell they would make up their minds.

I have pretty much stopped drinking since I started taking insulin, not a safe combination.

I wish that the experts would get busy and find a reason why smoking cigarettes would be good for me!

Heard on the news just this morning that now the studies say.....that the key to longer life may well be moderate amounts of alcohol & caffeine.

Alcohol..in moderation..does have some benefits. The French, for example, have a very low rate of heart disease, and most studies have shown that this is a benefit of having a glass of red wine with their evening meal. A couple of cups of coffee throughout the day also seems to have a positive effect. The problems occur when a person sits around drinking several beers a day, and allows their belly to grow accordingly. Almost every senior will put on some pounds as they grow older, but if they can keep the weight down to just a few percentage points above ideal, it doesn't seem to harm.
I've been in the habit of drinking a shot of flavored Vodka in the evening, about an hour before bedtime...and that, for me, is the best way I've found to get a good nights sleep.

Alcohol..in moderation..does have some benefits. The French, for example, have a very low rate of heart disease, and most studies have shown that this is a benefit of having a glass of red wine with their evening meal. A couple of cups of coffee throughout the day also seems to have a positive effect. The problems occur when a person sits around drinking several beers a day, and allows their belly to grow accordingly. Almost every senior will put on some pounds as they grow older, but if they can keep the weight down to just a few percentage points above ideal, it doesn't seem to harm.
I've been in the habit of drinking a shot of flavored Vodka in the evening, about an hour before bedtime...and that, for me, is the best way I've found to get a good nights sleep.

Not arguing, as I have no real knowledge in that area but. I have also heard that the wine has little to do with it. What I read leans toward vastly different farming practices , no, or much less preservatives , no growth hormones etc.....?

How long do you want to Live? The oldest man at 112 just died, Richard Overston, smoked cigars and drank some booze. If I run out of money and can't take care of myself, I don't want to be around. I don't smoke or drink and use supplements to get my 8+ hrs of sleep.

At Christmas 2017 my husband bought me a bottle of vodka, as he knows I sometimes like a splash of it in lemonade. I had a bit left from another bottle. THAT is long gone, and I have yet to open the new one. So, I guess I am not a good test subject on that theory.

I had quit drinking alcohol for years, but a little more than a year ago I started occasionally drinking wine, then moved away from it then started drinking beer again. Now I'm leaning toward drinking less beer. I find that when I drink it too often, I start feeling sluggish. As far as what the experts say about caffeine and alcohol consumption, ask ten different people and you'll get ten different answers!

If visiting my sister in La. I will have a crown and coke while she has her Jack and coke. At home maybe a little Irish creme in my last cup of coffee for the day. I really don't care to live much over 80 if I don't have quality of life.

Most here know that I like good scotch and gin & tonics now and then but since falling off a ladder and getting a concussion back in late July I haven't touched a drop of alcohol.....kinda figured that with the dizziness associated with the concussion I didn't need alcohol to impede the brain healing process.

For the most part (90%) the dizziness has all but disappeared but it still gets me every once in awhile if I move my head quickly up or down.......at this rate I figure that by late spring or early summer I'll feel comfortable enough again to have an adult beverage or three.

I enjoy a Millers High Life beer with lunch and a cocktail every late afternoon.

I'm of the same mind but just beer. The odd time liquor. I sample beer from around the world. Right now I am a fan of Polish beer, with Holland beer in second place.

I think I might be the oldest poster on the forum. In Roman numerals. LXXXV. I'm X rated.

Well if they have NOT found anything good yet, why think they will.

My father drank until he died at almost 95 and drove us all nuts thru his long life but he never smoked...so probably saved him and he was so ready to go when he finally did.

I am in my late 80s' and I enjoy my glass or two of wine each day.
As I have always said "every thing in moderation".

Well at least with a glass of wine you are getting the grape which is antioxidant. I get my antioxidant by taking Grape Seed Extract and have been for 24 yrs...I'm early 80. Did my share of glasses of wine but have lost desire to drink alcohol.

Back