Living alone during the pandemic and dealing with the isolation.

gennie

I've been a hermit since 2013. I find it a lot less stressful to not have to be "on" for people anymore. I think it's because I spent most of my life taking care of someone else. When I go out to buy food, I'm actually glad to come home. I can go to bed without first cleaning up after someone else. I don't have to prepare for the next day either. Cats don't care, they get fed and are satisfied. They like my company too. Can't say that was always the case with the people in my life. Just glad I don't have to do for anyone anymore. It's liberating. I respect others who enjoy that sort of thing, but I don't miss it one bit.
I'm another hermit and hope that I can remain one until I'm not here anymore. I'm very content as I am.

glenninindy

I enjoyed being a hermit until I discovered that living all alone without anyone to help is not a pretty picture especially when you can't drive and have to wait 5 days to get your much needed medicine delivered by snail mail, because your town has no pharmacy, among other things like having to risk your life taking public transportation during this pandemic once a week, and walking and carrying and pushing groceries for blocks to and from the bus, with heart or lung trouble, because you don't have a car, and not enough money to have food delivered all the time, and no one is around to help you get your food. I could be dead for over a year and no one would know it, because I enjoyed being a hermit.

Last edited:

Judycat

I enjoyed being a hermit until I discovered that living all alone without anyone to help is not a pretty picture especially when you can't drive and have to wait 5 days to get your much needed medicine delivered by snail mail, because your town has no pharmacy, among other things like having to risk your life taking public transportation during this pandemic once a week, and walking and carrying and pushing groceries for blocks to and from the bus, with heart or lung trouble, because you don't have a car, and not enough money to have food delivered all the time, and no one is around to help you get your food. I could be dead for over a year and no one would know it, because I enjoyed being a hermit.
I'll live like a hermit until I can't anymore. Geez. I swear you must be channeling my mother.

I don't think we are "odd" or "antisocial" or unfriendly for not wanting to do the video thing. Most of us are older, some of us are frail and vulnerable, and simply don't want to splash ourselves all over the internet. We're not antisocial, we are just careful.

And some of don't have the ability or equipment to share video even if we wanted to.
I agree yet this is what this is .."splashing yourself all over the internet?"bieng harvested by google facebook others 26 fedreal agencies numerous telecom folks china russia and on and on and on...not to mention your local college kids this is forever while some chance of video getting buried ..but certainly not any worse than this ..it goes to your isp home name driver license credit ..probably banking too--the point is there is not much privacy and what there is you have to work really hard to attain some of it. but it is to late they had all our info for years.