Living alone during the pandemic and dealing with the isolation.

@Furryanimal I hope that posting on this forum, and other forums, takes away some of the feelings of isolation for you. It isn't easy keeping active, especially if one lives alone.

All the best to you - Hugs 🤗
Yep-the Internet is a lifeline.There are a couple of folk I chat to most days.Plus my numerous word game apps.But I’d rather be out supporting my rugby club,attending concerts-fingers crossed for next September and November-and come Spring watching my cricket club.
February 29th-the last time I was at the rugby- feels a lifetime ago.

Hugs from me too, Furryanimal. The internet is kind of a lifeline for me too; post here whenever you feel the need.

Also, can you recommend a good web site to watch rugby on, maybe YouTube?
There is some live rugby on you tube...depends what you want watch...England rugby has the Womens Premier 15s on most Saturdays,World Rugby has the sevens circuit (not at the moment-Covid),there are Super Rugby and international highlights.The various rugby countries have YouTube channels.
But most is stuck behind various countries paywalls but using a VPN can get you the six nations (France2/3).Ustvgo.tv has some rugby...on NBCsports.
But depending on where you are(and you’ll have check the situation with the USA) a subscription to rugbypass.com
could be good.
And I’ve seen US major league rugby on you tube.
This was on last Saturday

Sky sports next(NZ) and sky sports UK sometimes have live rugby broadcast free on you tube
Just root around you can unearth some gems!
these are today dec 19th
and when things become more normal there is live streaming of University and schools rugby in the UK.BUCS super rugby (University) is of a high standard.

Last edited:
There is some live rugby on you tube...depends what you want watch...England rugby has the Womens Premier 15s on most Saturdays,World Rugby has the sevens circuit (not at the moment-Covid),there are Super Rugby and international highlights.The various rugby countries have YouTube channels.
But most is stuck behind various countries paywalls but using a VPN can get you the six nations (France2/3).Ustvgo.tv has some rugby...on NBCsports.
But depending on where you are(and you’ll have check the situation with the USA) a subscription to rugbypass.com
could be good.
And I’ve seen US major league rugby on you tube.
This was on last Saturday

Sky sports next(NZ) and sky sports UK sometimes have live rugby broadcast free on you tube
Just root around you can unearth some gems!
these are today dec 19th
and when things become more normal there is live streaming of University and schools rugby in the UK.BUCS super rugby (University) is of a high standard.
Wow, thanks, Furryanimal! It's fun to watch, isn't it? Seems like they do as much as U.S. "footballers" but only without the helmets and padding, wow they're tough! o_O:)

American Football came about because someone-i can’t remember who-decided you could improve rugby by straightening out the scrum and allowing one forward pass in each movement.
If they had not had that bright idea America might have been up there with New Zealand in rugby terms.Rugby had been picked up quickly by the American colleges when it first started.
And i could be watching the Packers play rugby on my NFL game pass!

Last edited:
In my youth I was very athletic. Now in my old age, am arthritic and have a heart condition. Usually I only attend youth & high school sports. Since I cannot attend sports now due to the plague, I am forced to watch sports exclusively online or on TV. Luckily, I was given a gift subscription to the scholastic sports channel that we have here in Minnesota and get to see games for free. I also watch youth or pro sports on youtube, nbastreams, onhockey, yoursports, and other websites. There are also live channels which stream what are called IRL on youtube or on twitch.tv.

IRL may be a live stream where a person walks or bikes through, say, Central Park in NYC while he/she communicates with viewers. Am amazed how many friends and how much fun we can have doing that.

Indeed, the Internet and TV can be our best friends in difficult times like these.

My uncle and his wife lived all their married life in a beach town in California. They had many friends were very social, then he died it was to be expected as he was 37 and she was in her early 20's when they married. She did fine until the pandemic and her doctor told her she would die if she got covid 19. She is now in her mid 70's. So then she saw no one, went out for groceries only 9 months into her isolation she was so lonely and I understood and worried about her talked almost daily to her on Facebook. Finally she decided to sell her house and move to So Carolina where her daughter and family lived. Packing up her house after 35 years or so kept her busy, but finally she was ready she had bought a house already there. Her house was sold in one day and a very nice sum was hers , so the move was complete. She wasn't lonely any more and within a very few weeks she had covid 19. Thankfully she lived (her old dr was wrong). I know she couldn't resist hugging her young adult granddaughters! She is not lonely anymore and her happiness is all any of us could have wanted for her.

Have you tried any of Jack McDevitt's SF? If you like Asimov, I think you would like McDevitt, espec. his novel Moonfall, soo good, they oughta make a movie of it!
You're a woman with vision, I like that. The movie was released 2/4/2022. I was wondering why I've been hearing so much lately about the moon colliding with the Earth. Now I know! I haven't read the book nor seen the movie but when I searched on here for related news, your 2020 post was what I saw. Bravo, well played! 😊

You're a woman with vision, I like that. The movie was released 2/4/2022. I was wondering why I've been hearing so much lately about the moon colliding with the Earth. Now I know! I haven't read the book nor seen the movie but when I searched on here for related news, your 2020 post was what I saw. Bravo, well played! 😊
Thanks. You know, I'm not sure if the movie is based on McDevitt's book or not; the little bit of the movie I've seen in the trailer, it looks pretty different from the book. And the imdb.com listing for it doesn't say "based on a book by Jack McDevitt" but I don't know if imdb says that all the time anyway. Even if it's not based on the book, the movie still looks worth seeing so I'm there. :)

Thanks. You know, I'm not sure if the movie is based on McDevitt's book or not; the little bit of the movie I've seen in the trailer, it looks pretty different from the book. And the imdb.com listing for it doesn't say "based on a book by Jack McDevitt" but I don't know if imdb says that all the time anyway. Even if it's not based on the book, the movie still looks worth seeing so I'm there. :)
Right on valentine's day
What could that mean?

I am 72, and up until 5 months ago was working part time, doing grocery shopping, having my grandson spend the night, going to the movies, seeing my son and his family, having pedicures and manicures regularly. Now............I stay home, have my groceries delivered to my porch, no contact, if I see my children or grandchildren it is outside and far apart. I even had my medications sent by mail now. I am in solitary confinement! I read romance novels, total fantasy, or watch tv. I talk on the phone with a couple of friends and my son, but human contact that is about it. I have only been to the grocery store 5 times in 5 months. I had to get a ct scan, and I have canceled dentist appointments, eye doctor appointments etc. I have had virtual doctor appointments, but, I am going to have to go get a blood test for a medication that I take and I am uncomfortable about it. How are you all coping with this isolation?-- e man....empjasis on strange-

I am 72, and up until 5 months ago was working part time, doing grocery shopping, having my grandson spend the night, going to the movies, seeing my son and his family, having pedicures and manicures regularly. Now............I stay home, have my groceries delivered to my porch, no contact, if I see my children or grandchildren it is outside and far apart. I even had my medications sent by mail now. I am in solitary confinement! I read romance novels, total fantasy, or watch tv. I talk on the phone with a couple of friends and my son, but human contact that is about it. I have only been to the grocery store 5 times in 5 months. I had to get a ct scan, and I have canceled dentist appointments, eye doctor appointments etc. I have had virtual doctor appointments, but, I am going to have to go get a blood test for a medication that I take and I am uncomfortable about it. How are you all coping with this isolation?
pretty much the same but I wiegh it agianst an agonzing slow death on a ventalator and suddenly my spirit rises to the challenge,...stick in there

Back