Living Alone - Practical Downside

Wow!! I never thought of that. That would be a great business to start to help those that live alone and need surgery.
I might even see if I can start that as a little business.. seriously.

I had to have a procedure done without anaesthetic myself.. because no-one could spare the time to come and collect me from the hospital ( this was just a week after my husband left)...

It was a horrendous experience.. to undergo without anaesthetic, so I would be allowed to drive myself home unaccompanied..

the hospital won't accept a cab for collection... the person who is accompanying the patient has to be with them when they arrive at the hospital.. and give their name... they can wait or return when it's over, and then drive the patient home , but they have to stay with the patient for a couple of hours when they return home..or arrange for someone to be there with them

Lots of people can have someone at home who can care for them while they're still under the influence of the aneasthetic, but for any amount of reasons can't accompany them to the hospital... so someone like me who is not a cab driver, but a 'friend'' would be acceptable to take and collect a person from a day surgery requiring anaesthetic.. and who could also if necessary remain with the patient in their home if they have no-one..while the anaesthetic wears off..

Hollydolly.... sounds like a great idea and add a little income to your life. Let us know your thought process (if you go forward) in pulling this possible idea into a plan/business. Life you, I feel this could be very advantageous to everyone concerned living in your area.

Go to your local Church and tell the pastor your problem. I'll bet he can find you help. Among other things, it's what we do as Christians.
Yes, this is what Christians do for each other and when possible for anyone in need. Many churches have care groups. When people are ill care group members bring meals, provide child care, provide rides, whatever is needed at no charge.

I've brought a lot of meals, given a lot of rides and twice I have done exactly what is looked for here by taking someone to have a test or procedure performed, waited and taken them home again, helped them get settled and checked on them later to be sure they are OK. I know others who have done these things for many years.

Christians are looked down upon with derision and outright hatred by the world at large and by some in this forum but they are the extended family through the church. A local pastor will do what he can to help a stranger but he also has to keep in mind the safety and well being of his members.

I received a Cologuard test kit yesterday. It is the stool sample test. Someone mentioned a "colonoscopy test". Is that different?
Yes the Cologuard is a mail order test, that you do at home, then mail it to a lab for analysis. A Colonoscopy is a medical procedure, done by a Medical Doctor in a medical clinic or a hospital, using a long flexible scope that has a tiny camera and other devices on the end of the cable.

Before you have the scope done, you have to drink a type of "Gastric detergent " for 2 days pre test, to flush all of the fecal matter out of your digestive system, so the Doc can see all of the colon clearly. You will be given a light sedative, so you will be awake but nicely mellow, during the scope procedure. One is a home test, the other is a in hospital medical procedure. JImB.

Never heard of that. Alabama has Alabama Department of Senior Services and that service to accompany someone to a surgical appointment in another town, wait for them and then drive them home is not listed but I will give them a call just to see. Thanks :)
:) Just call your local or state health department., or maybe an ombudsman. Maybe they can help. Or your state or federal representatives, make them aware of the problem.

I ran into this with my cataract surgery. Of course I should not have been able to drive after sedation, but I needed no one with me, I was fine. My stepfather took me for the first one but he stresses me out. I had a former co-worker take me the second time. I paid her some cash though she insisted not to.

It is discrimination IMO and it's only to protect the doctor and hospital/surgery center. That's why I was so grateful to have no sedation with my carpel tunnel surgery. Just drove myself home. Now I'm having trouble with my left arm and I think it's coming from my shoulder or worse.

The best is to try and pay someone to take you and pick you up. Lie and say they will stay with you? I say yes. Some might think that's terrible. Too bad, I don't care. Because that DR and hosp. don't give one damn about you, just their liability. So I'm going to do what I think is best for me. I'm the only one that knows that.

I had no idea there were other medical options. Thanks for the heads up guys !!!
No history of colon cancer in the family thankfully.
I've had several colonoscopys done and the first one they found and removed 3 polyps.
I was on a 3yr program after that but all has been clear and I was moved to a 5yr deal and all good ... but now past due.
Not too worried about it but like to be proactive concerning it and will check other options. Thanks !!!
It's your decision, of course. Myself, if I'd had 3 polyps anytime in the past, I would find some way to have the colonoscopy; unless I had some other unusually high risk factor for the procedure itself, or if I was very seriously poorly with other conditions.
My view is that the other tests are far less reliable, and that I know too many people who suffered terribly, because they didn't have the colonoscopy.

The original issue of this thread, is definitely a very major problem for a great many of us, finding someone to do what is necessary as a helper, in order for us to have any important medical intervention.
I am glad to see some ideas in this thread, for how to persistently try to address that, when we do decide that a test or surgery is worth having, for ourselves.

Yes the Cologuard is a mail order test, that you do at home, then mail it to a lab for analysis. A Colonoscopy is a medical procedure, done by a Medical Doctor in a medical clinic or a hospital, using a long flexible scope that has a tiny camera and other devices on the end of the cable.

Before you have the scope done, you have to drink a type of "Gastric detergent " for 2 days pre test, to flush all of the fecal matter out of your digestive system, so the Doc can see all of the colon clearly. You will be given a light sedative, so you will be awake but nicely mellow, during the scope procedure. One is a home test, the other is a in hospital medical procedure. JImB.
All true info;
I will just add that although the preparation instructions are not enjoyable, of course;
they have changed significantly in recent years and are now, much easier and shorter to do than they used to be, for many years, and even more importantly, the stuff you drink, is not the same.
Much easier to drink and not harmful, like some of the things that were continually used in past decades.
A shorter time duration, as well.

Worth it to some of us, but I definitely respect others making their own decisions. Especially about any test or procedure that is invasive and has risks.
(Though I personally advise a person to consider the risks of not having the colonoscopy, as well. I personally wouldn't go that route, myself, until one's personal risks of doing it outweigh the risks of not doing it. )

My mother and I plan on calling her doctor's office-to notify them that her symptom have changed.
She needs to be seen by a doctor. She may need tests.
If her scheduled appointment is moved up to an earlier date, then we will have to hope that the guy that I use for transporation is available to take us.
If he is booked then for a one time use Yellow Cab may work out.
Yellow cab would have to drive up most of our driveway and put her walker into his trunk.
Mom would need help walking a small distance down the driveway.

Updated On Monday,8/14/2023
Mom's appointment has not been changed.
Transportation is still a problem.

Last edited:
I have the same issue. I just had a surgery with local anesthesia so I could drive myself home. The doctor was reluctant to do it at first. My primary physician did not know of any service that would provide transportation.

I recall our primary care office saying something to us about a PT One Form.
We would need to be on Mass Health to get medical transporation.

Last edited:

I had to have a procedure done without anaesthetic myself.. because no-one could spare the time to come and collect me from the hospital ( this was just a week after my husband left)...

It was a horrendous experience.. to undergo without anaesthetic, so I would be allowed to drive myself home unaccompanied..

the hospital won't accept a cab for collection... the person who is accompanying the patient has to be with them when they arrive at the hospital.. and give their name... they can wait or return when it's over, and then drive the patient home , but they have to stay with the patient for a couple of hours when they return home..or arrange for someone to be there with them
Lots of people can have someone at home who can care for them while they're still under the influence of the aneasthetic, but for any amount of reasons can't accompany them to the hospital... so someone like me who is not a cab driver, but a 'friend'' would be acceptable to take and collect a person from a day surgery requiring anaesthetic.. and who could also if necessary remaingethe with the patient in their home if they have no-one..while the anaesthetic wears off..
Holly if we lived closer...we could get this off the ground to. It would be great if you can get it started in your area. My entrepreneur juices are flowing as well:D

When I was looking for help for my mom, I came across this website Care.com and you hire someone to do things for you. I think transportation is also included. I haven't used their services, but it's good to know.
I just took a quick look at the site. They offer quite a bit. I agree, it's good to know. Will pass along to others that may need the service. Thanks for the info.

And that downside is Medical!

I'm a widower of 1 year, mid 70's, and live alone. My wife and I moved to the town I live in only a few years ago. No real friends and no relatives here.

I've recently discovered that medical procedures that involve anesthesia and that do not require a hospital stay are almost impossible for me because doctors require that I be accompanied by a relative or friend that can drive me to and from the procedure. In some cases, they say no to Taxi/Uber drivers transporting me there and back because they say I need someone to be with me for a day or two in case of complications. The first thing that comes to mind is... Catch 22!

I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of folks in my situation but despite our numbers, the Medical system turns a blind eye to our unique needs.

If you are in this situation, how do you handle it?
I had cataract removed needed a driver for the 40 trip- back from dr to my place ...went to a local mostly senior services agency and hired an off duty driver.....but nowdays there is uber lift and some some maybe local folks.....that needed 50 bucks cash....so it can be done. I would guess most senior services may have a source for you. maybe a school bus driver that has the time and can use the money-as with all of these deals- need to be skeptical-I am not on fb but that maybe a source as well as craigslist ..mostly sketchy there ..again, careful.

You need an aide. Call your dept of aging and ask for an aide to assist you with day surgery. You should have someone to check in on you anyway!
What sort of aide have you gotten from your dept of aging? So many on this forum give the advice to call your "Department of Aging" but I have never seen a Department of Aging or known anyone who has gotten help from one.

I've recently discovered that medical procedures that involve anesthesia and that do not require a hospital stay are almost impossible for me because doctors require that I be accompanied by a relative or friend that can drive me to and from the procedure. In some cases, they say no to Taxi/Uber drivers transporting me there and back because they say I need someone to be with me for a day or two in case of complications. The first thing that comes to mind is... Catch 22!

I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of folks in my situation but despite our numbers, the Medical system turns a blind eye to our unique needs.
You are right, there are many in your situation and there is no organization of elderly people to address these problems. The sixty-somethings live in a dream world where they think there is some mythical “Department of Aging” that will provide all your needs as you age alone. Senior Citizens Centers are run by corporations hired by the government and they provide as few services as possible to still maintain their contract with the government. Most just provide a room with some tables and chairs where seniors can play cards and have some sort of meal once a day, as though this is the most pressing need of seniors..

You are right, there are many in your situation and there is no organization of elderly people to address these problems. The sixty-somethings live in a dream world where they think there is some mythical “Department of Aging” that will provide all your needs as you age alone. Senior Citizens Centers are run by corporations hired by the government and they provide as few services as possible to still maintain their contract with the government. Most just provide a room with some tables and chairs where seniors can play cards and have some sort of meal once a day, as though this is the most pressing need of seniors..
Nevada has a department of aging and they can provide seniors with helpful information on services besides the ones that they offer. No they can’t solve every senior’s problems.

Our local senior center is run by the county and although I don’t go there I know people that do who take classes, play games, have lunch, etc.

Back