LL Bean Stops Legendary Life Time Guarantee Due To Abuse

WhatInThe

LL Bean has discontinued it's legendary life time guarantee on clothing after years of abuse from returns on extremely worn clothing or second hand/owner clothing.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/l-l-bean-changes-100-192310705.html

I heard companies like Sears had to discontinue their satisfaction guaranteed policy for those same reasons. I heard people would return abused & worn tools or "rent" tools, clothing etc until they needed something different. I will say these companies had to know the potential for abuse and maybe could've tweeked their policies little by little but I guess even the scammers would find a way to work the system. This is probably why just to do even exchanges in many stores they want a receipt and drivers license because they want to track serial returners.

I don't blame stores for limiting their return policies. There is that percentage of people who take "advantage" of liberal return policies, and that drives the prices up for the "honest" people. If a person buys something, and finds a defect, or a piece of clothing doesn't fit, for example, they should be obligated to return it within a short period of time, in an unused condition. If they want to Use it, or Wear it, they should Own it. About the only exception might be if it is a appliance or some device which has a written warranty, the store or manufacturer should honor the warranty...provided that the purchaser retained a receipt, or registered the warranty.

It's amazing what people will do. Once, someone told me that when he and his wife had house guests, they bought new bed linens and used them for the duration of the visit (usually short) and then returned them to the store, saying they "didn't fit the bed." This guy was sort of a wacko, and I'm hoping he just made it up. But just in case, it's probably a good idea to launder sheets before using.

It's amazing what people will do...Once, someone told me that when he and his wife had house guests, they bought new bed linens and used them for the duration of the visit (usually short) and then returned them to the store, saying they "didn't fit the bed."

I knew a girl, long ago, that would purchase a dress for special events, only to take it back to the store. Used stores as a temporary closet.

Back