LOL - Golden Bachelor getting divorced after 3 months

StarSong

Awkward is my Superpower
Who didn't see this nonsense coming? Why that woman married him is beyond my understanding. The guy is a serial liar.
The ‘Golden Bachelor’ Is Getting a Divorce

"Gerry Turner and Theresa Nist were the first couple to meet and marry on “The Golden Bachelor,” ABC’s spinoff of “The Bachelor” featuring cast members 60 and older.

On Friday, the newlyweds announced that they will also be the spinoff’s first couple to divorce.
They made the announcement in a joint appearance on ABC’s “Good Morning America.” “Theresa and I have had a number of heart-to-heart conversations, and we’ve looked closely at our situation, our living situation, and we’ve come to the conclusion mutually that it’s probably time for us to dissolve our marriage,” Mr. Turner, 72, said.

The anchor Juju Chang replied in shock. “Three months after getting married?” she said. “I mean, what the heck, guys?” she asked later in the interview.

Explaining their decision, Mr. Turner said both were dedicated to their families — each has children from previous marriages, as well as grandchildren — and that it made the most sense for them to live separately. Ms. Nist, 70, added that they had looked at homes near family members in South Carolina and New Jersey but that they had been unable to reach a conclusion.

The couple, through a representative, declined to be interviewed for this article.
The franchise had positioned the pair as evidence that invigorating love stories can unfold later in life. Before marrying Ms. Nist, Mr. Turner, a retiree from Indiana, was married for 43 years to his high school sweetheart, Toni. She died in 2017 after a brief illness.

“People my age still fall in love,” Mr. Turner told The New York Times after he was announced as the series lead of the first “Golden Bachelor” season. “People my age still have hope, and they still have vigorous lives.”

On the show, he quickly connected with Ms. Nist, a financial services professional from Shrewsbury, N.J., and one of 22 women vying for his affection. The couple bonded over their experiences of loss — Ms. Nist’s first husband, Billy, died in 2014.

Mr. Turner proposed to Ms. Nist on the “Golden Bachelor” season finale, which was broadcast in November. The pair married in a televised ceremony in Southern California in January, which was attended by several of Mr. Turner’s ex-girlfriends from the season.

Around the time of the “Golden Bachelor” finale, The Hollywood Reporter published an article in which a woman claiming to have dated Mr. Turner said he had misrepresented his romantic history on the show, and that the two had been in a serious relationship that he had omitted. Mr. Turner told The Times that he had given the article only a “cursory look” and could not speak to its accuracy.

“The Golden Bachelor” renewed interest in the “Bachelor” franchise at a time when its ratings had been slipping. According to Nielsen statistics, the eight episodes before the “Golden Bachelor” finale on average received more viewers than any full seasons of the franchise that have aired since 2021. In February, ABC announced plans for “The Golden Bachelorette,” a version of the spinoff with a female lead.

After Mr. Turner and Ms. Nist announced their plans to divorce on Friday, some “Golden Bachelor” viewers expressed disappointment and the occasional “I told you so” on social media. The split was not unusual for the “Bachelor” franchise, which has produced far more breakups than marriages.

Ms. Nist said on “Good Morning America” that she hoped the pair’s divorce would not discourage viewers who had been inspired by the couple. “We say, ‘Don’t give up,’” she said. “We say, ‘Stay in it, stay hopeful, because we are.’”

So when do we see the spinoff ... "Golden Divorce" ??
I must admit to not watching the show - nor have I seen more than one or two Bachelor shows. Ridiculous fluff in my mind. Competing with others for a man or woman's attention and throwing others under the bus to "win" them is probably the worst, unhealthiest possible way to begin a relationship.

When the Hollywood Reporter article came out, I laughed up my sleeve at the lack of background checks done by the show's producers. They needed @hollydolly on their research team.

No surprise there. Most are there just to get noticed and hopefully be ‘picked’ as the next bachelorette or bachelor. Most had star searching status

It was so staged. Whenever there was major drama they’d leave the last rose to the one who created the most.

I watched only the first episode because I wanted to see the desperate women who were vying for notoriety and attention. Let's just say, they didn't disappoint! Not that the guy is any better. Not surprising at all.

I must admit to not watching the show - nor have I seen more than one or two Bachelor shows. Ridiculous fluff in my mind. Competing with others for a man or woman's attention and throwing others under the bus to "win" them is probably the worst, unhealthiest possible way to begin a relationship.

When the Hollywood Reporter article came out, I laughed up my sleeve at the lack of background checks done by the show's producers. They needed @hollydolly on their research team.
I've never heard or seen the show.... but we have very similar shows here ... but as you know very well.. I was very good at my job... :D(y)

Last edited:
I read about the show in the Times and it all seemed sad and ridiculous to me but then all those dating shows seem sad, ridiculous and highly voyeuristic to me.

I'm not surprised they are divorcing after three months. IDK about her, but he was married for a very long time, wasn't he?

Television wins again! LOL. The producers made their money, they got their ratings, and now you normal people just go try to live a normal life, ok?

The primary reason for the divorce, they explained, wasn't because they don't love each other, but because they simply couldn't make the relationship work. :rolleyes:

They should have decided this before the marriage.
There’s a lot of things they should have discussed first but maybe they DID discuss all these things amongst themselves . Maybe they ‘had’ to get married to receive the money offered from the show. I’m guessing because I don’t know all the details. Anybody who agrees to the terms of this show ‘should’ expect problems. It’s circus quality.

Pretty sure all the above are true - it distills down to not caring enough about each other to make a go of it.

No surprise.
They were both life-experienced enough to know better than believing in fairy tale endings. However, they did quite publicly prove one adage to the utmost degree: There's no fool like an old fool.

Back