Looking for stroke workouts

kimartist

I had a stroke 6 months ago & would like to dip my toe back into the world of fitness, but it seems like most/all workouts are designed for people who can easily stand on both two feet with no balance issues & jump around, twist, stretch, bend like maniacs, etc.

I've also looked at "therapeutic" type videos, but they're usually very focused "exercises" with small/isolated movements for one body part only & not really "workouts" per se.

Doing housework from a wheelchair does provide a modicum of "sweat equity," but it's mostly upper body such as sweeping, vacuuming, breaking down cardboard boxes, etc. & really does little-to-nothing for the lower body or core, which is really what I need. I have some low-weight kettlebells & can do arm exercises with those, but, again, it does nothing toward retraining my lower body to walk again &/or regain some form of ambulatory function.

If you had a stroke, you most likely have a doctor. Most stroke patients go through physio therapy to get them back in shape.

Water exercises
Balance ball exercise
Chair exercises

You should be working with a professional.

No "they" can't as I don't have insurance, thanks.
I would ask why you don't have insurance but that's not my business. I think YouTube might have chair exercise videos and anything you can't do you might be able to modify to what you're capable of doing.

I don't think the movements ever have to be big or perfect. just as long as you're moving. It takes time to get that back if it's even possible. My grandmother wasn't capable of actual exercises but she did what she could to get her side of her face back and one of her hands.

Great response from Nathan.
I follow a few videos on YouTube (exercise for seniors). You might like to look at "Improved Health for seniors" and "SilverSneakers".
Being a Silver Sneakers former client and certified Yoga and Enerchi(Taichi) instructor, I view Silver Sneakers workout sessions to be of tremendous benefit to any adult that is seeking to regain mobility and/or to ease pain(physical & mental).
Here is the Silver Sneakers Youtube channel, where there are hundreds of wonderful free fitness videos: https://www.youtube.com/@silversneakers/videos

Being a Silver Sneakers former client and certified Yoga and Enerchi(Taichi) instructor, I view Silver Sneakers workout sessions to be of tremendous benefit to any adult that is seeking to regain mobility and/or to ease pain(physical & mental).
Here is the Silver Sneakers Youtube channel, where there are hundreds of wonderful free fitness videos: https://www.youtube.com/@silversneakers/videos
I was a power lifter just before my stroke. Could leg press 700lb. max. The musculature is still there, just need to activate it.

I wish you could get PT. I think it would be so helpful for you. Senior centers often have free programs like classes on balance. Maybe you can find one. Or call your local senior services/social services and see if they can find some free programs that might fit your needs.

retraining my lower body to walk again &/or regain some form of ambulatory function.
The more time you can spend on your feet, the better.

Putting your hands on the sides of a doorway then:
> swinging your legs back and forth;
> lifting your knees up and down;
> walking in place, alternating big slow strides with short faster ones;

Walking back and forth in small spaces where your balance is more secure. Hallways are good for this too.

A treadmill with a bar across the front or an elliptical are the best exercise machines for walking.
An indoor step through bike is a stable alternative but not as good because the body weight is not on the feet.

Anything you can figure out where you can walk back and forth on a regular basis will be good.
Walking in place is a great alternative to walking back and forth, especially if you have a bar to hold onto.

Based on my own and other people's experiences, people are usually much better off not going to doctors and PTs,
as their primary motivation is to keep people sick so they can keep making more money.

I wish you could get PT. I think it would be so helpful for you. Senior centers often have free programs like classes on balance. Maybe you can find one. Or call your local senior services/social services and see if they can find some free programs that might fit your needs.
I'm stuck in my house, thanks.

The more time you can spend on your feet, the better.

Putting your hands on the sides of a doorway then:
> swinging your legs back and forth;
> lifting your knees up and down;
> walking in place, alternating big slow strides with short faster ones;

Walking back and forth in small spaces where your balance is more secure. Hallways are good for this too.

A treadmill with a bar across the front or an elliptical are the best exercise machines for walking.
An indoor step through bike is a stable alternative but not as good because the body weight is not on the feet.

Anything you can figure out where you can walk back and forth on a regular basis will be good.
Walking in place is a great alternative to walking back and forth, especially if you have a bar to hold onto.

Based on my own and other people's experiences, people are usually much better off not going to doctors and PTs,
as their primary motivation is to keep people sick so they can keep making more money.
I'm left-side paralyzed so can't hold onto anything with left hand, but I'm in an old house with 2-foot bathroom door openings, so might be able to modify something. Walking in small spaces is already happening of necessity. I can't leave my house right now, so use of gym equipment is out of the question even if I could afford it.

I'm stuck in my house, thanks.
Sometimes there are virtual workouts available so all you need is a computer. Maybe you can find one. You do the exercises from the comfort of your home.

Back