Mammograms šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

Aneeda72

Yes, it is breast cancer awareness month and time for my annual torture and flattening session.

I remember my first mammogram when the machines first came out, when men techs did the deed. Ugh. A complete stranger touching my breast. But, thatā€˜s not why I remember, I remember because a lump was found. Barely captured, right in the exact of my breast, pressed up against the chest bone. A lump.

Luckily we found it. Itā€™s cancer. Hmm.

I was given my choices. I chose to have the lump out, be woken up while on the table, told the bio results, and make my decision then. Btw, they donā€™t do it this way anymore. I was young. Too young to deal with this. I was lucky. The surgeon knew what he was doing, the scaring is minimal, and I didnā€™t have cancer.

Few years later, another mammogram, another suspicious lump, but it doesnā€™t look like cancer. Now there are woman centers, woman techs, but male radiologists. Still, letā€™s have it out. They used the same incision site. A week wait for the results of the bio, no cancer.

Few years later, two bluish lumps in an inconvenient obvious place, other breast. Not cancer, but, lets have them out. Bio results no cancer. Then mother is diagnosed with breast cancer, has the lump and surrounding issue out. No need for other treatment, no recurrence.

On every single mammogram I had, I had a large lump show up. See this Iump, not cancer. Every single mammogram, not cancer. But now, mother, has had cancer. Puts me in a different category. I ask. OMGosh, jinx. I ask how do you know that lump is not cancer? Cause of the way it looks, cause it has not changed, cause it has not spread. Itā€™s just a lump. Alrighty. I have the mammogram. They call me in, they show me the films. šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

See the large lump, yup. See the line to the smaller lump, yes. See this line to the next smaller lump. Yes. See the surgeon-up. Now, they grade cancer. By looking at the lumps, they grade me at cancer zero. It will be cancer, but itā€™s not cancer yet. You can wait a year, maybe longer until it is actually cancer, then have it out.

Oh, yeah, sure, letā€™s wait the year or longer, till my zero cancer turns into full blown cancer so I can experience the joys of radiation and chemo therapy. Not. Week later surgery. Bio back, no cancer yet, but pre cancerous. Whatever that means, as they pat themselves on the back.

Three years later I have a dimple. Dimples are a sign of the most aggressive breast cancer there is. I am a bit freaked out. What the heck is this? Get the mammogram, hmm. Get the ultrasound, hmm. Saw the radiologist. Letā€™s have a look. By all means letā€™s look. Did I get twenty dollars tucked into my pants? Nope. But we all ā€œhad a lookā€.

And we/they have no ideal. None. Zero. Ziltch. What that dimple is. But, we/they are concerned. We/they will check it next year. I didnā€™t go. The dimple is now looks like a cave, kind of-deep. I try not to look at it. It disturbs me.

Who wants a cave? Not me. My mammogram is next week. Have not decided yet if I will go. šŸ˜¢

Yes, it is breast cancer awareness month and time for my annual torture and flattening session.

I remember my first mammogram when the machines first came out, when men techs did the deed. Ugh. A complete stranger touching my breast. But, thatā€˜s not why I remember, I remember because a lump was found. Barely captured, right in the exact of my breast, pressed up against the chest bone. A lump.

I was given my choices. I chose to have the lump out, be woken up while on the table, told the bio results, and make my decision then. Btw, they donā€™t do it this way anymore. I was young. Too young to deal with this. I was lucky. The surgeon knew what he was doing, the scaring is minimal, and I didnā€™t have cancer.

Few years later, another mammogram, another suspicious lump, but it doesnā€™t look like cancer. Now there are woman centers, woman techs, but male radiologists. Still, letā€™s have it out. They used the same incision site. A week wait for the results of the bio, no cancer.

Few years later, two bluish lumps in an inconvenient obvious place, other breast. Not cancer, but, lets have them out. Bio results no cancer. Then mother is diagnosed with breast cancer, has the lump and surrounding issue out. No need for other treatment, no recurrence.

On every single mammogram I had, I had a large lump show up. See this Iump, not cancer. Every single mammogram, not cancer. But now, mother, has had cancer. Puts me in a different category. I ask. OMGosh, jinx. I ask how do you know that lump is not cancer? Cause of the way it looks, cause it has not changed, cause it has not spread. Itā€™s just a lump. Alrighty. I have the mammogram. They call me in, they show me the films. šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

See the large lump, yup. See the line to the smaller lump, yes. See this line to the next smaller lump. Yes. See the surgeon-up. Now, they grade cancer. By looking at the lumps, they grade me at cancer zero. It will be cancer, but itā€™s not cancer yet. You can wait a year, maybe longer until it is actually cancer, then have it out.

Oh, yeah, sure, letā€™s wait the year or longer, till my zero cancer turns into full blown cancer so I can experience the joys of radiation and chemo therapy. Not. Week later surgery. Bio back, no cancer yet, but pre cancerous. Whatever that means, as they pat themselves on the back.

Three years later I have a dimple. Dimples are a sign of the most aggressive breast cancer there is. I am a bit freaked out. What the heck is this? Get the mammogram, hmm. Get the ultrasound, hmm. Saw the radiologist. Letā€™s have a look. By all means letā€™s look. Did I get twenty dollars tucked into my pants? Nope. But we all ā€œhad a lookā€.

And we/they have no ideal. None. Zero. Ziltch. What that dimple is. But, we/they are concerned. We/they will check it next year. I didnā€™t go. The dimple is now looks like a cave, kind of-deep. I try not to look at it. It disturbs me.

Who wants a cave? Not me. My mammogram is next week. Have not decided yet if I will go. šŸ˜¢
I'm with Devi, and encourage you to go, Aneeda.

I bought ice cream to reward myself if I go. I appreciate the encouragement. I am not afraid or worried about cancer. I, however, do not want to have another breast surgery, ever. Such surgeries are extremely painful for a long dang time. Every try to wear a seat belt after such a surgery? Agony, pure agony.

Yes, you need to go, to save yourself from something even worse than going. And to end the nagging worry.

Is it on the underside? Could it possibly be from losing weight or from aging changes, due to tissue loss/changes?

I still truly believe you must go, but just trying to offer reason to lower the worry a bit, in the meantime. It might not be something drastic , which we hope it is not, and then, could be a relief.

But yes again, go, and you do deserve a planned reward!

Yes, you need to go, to save yourself from something even worse than going. And to end the nagging worry.

Is it on the underside? Could it possibly be from losing weight or from aging changes, due to tissue loss/changes?

I still truly believe you must go, but just trying to offer reason to lower the worry a bit, in the meantime. It might not be something drastic , which we hope it is not, and then, could be a relief.

But yes again, go, and you do deserve a planned reward!
No not on the underside, I do not want to be specific due to the men on the forum. It probably is not drastic. But just the thought of another breast surgery is, apparently, overwhelming.

I had a "dimple" looked at and it was where a fluid-filled cyst had dried up and left a empty place. Hopefully that's what yours is.
I wish, but it was throughly checked out when it first appeared and no one knew what it was. At least, at the time, it was not thought to be the awful aggressive cancer the I thought it was. This is the first time I freaked over a supposed medical problem. Seems I am still a little freaked. šŸ˜‚

Itā€˜ll be in the back of your mind if you donā€™t go.

Iā€™ve been squished & diced like you. Preventive maintenance. My mother was the same until one came back positive. The surgery & treatments were awful. She lived until her mid 90s.

@Aneeda72 please do have your mammogram
I loathe mammograms with a vengeance and especially my last one a year ago
I have a physical disability and I cannot use stairs....they have a ramp which they can raise and lower
They would not use it because you have to book this ramp in advance...no-one told me :mad:
The Technician/s were so obnoxious they made me cry and the pain they put me through was intentional
so much so I complained to the Australian Medical Association but once again 'toothless tiger'
I bet if this test was done on a man's nether region it would be a far more gentle procedure don't you agree?
However by the by do get your mammogram done just to be sure...it's all we have for now anyway

@Aneeda72 please do have your mammogram
I loathe mammograms with a vengeance and especially my last one a year ago
I have a physical disability and I cannot use stairs....they have a ramp which they can raise and lower
They would not use it because you have to book this ramp in advance...no-one told me :mad:
The Technician/s were so obnoxious they made me cry and the pain they put me through was intentional
so much so I complained to the Australian Medical Association but once again 'toothless tiger'
I bet if this test was done on a man's nether region it would be a far more gentle procedure don't you agree?
However by the by do get your mammogram done just to be sure...it's all we have for now anyway
Oh gosh that is an awful experience. I am so sorry you went through this. I donā€™t understand why you would have to book a ramp-insane rule. Were the technicians male?

It is, IMO, a very painful procedure. I am so not a fan of getting these for a variety of reasons. The only reason I even made the appointment was the pressure from my doctor and worry that if I didnā€™t she would exclude me from her practice. Ugh. I really am trying to make myself go. Thanks for sharing your story.

After such a bad experience, will you have one again?

Oh gosh that is an awful experience. I am so sorry you went through this. I donā€™t understand why you would have to book a ramp-insane rule. Were the technicians male?

It is, IMO, a very painful procedure. I am so not a fan of getting these for a variety of reasons. The only reason I even made the appointment was the pressure from my doctor and worry that if I didnā€™t she would exclude me from her practice. Ugh. I really am trying to make myself go. Thanks for sharing your story.

After such a bad experience, will you have one again?
@Aneeda72 I should have mentioned this was one of the Mobile Breast Screen Units where I had my last exam
We were passing by the grounds of the Hospital last week and it was back....and a cold shiver ran right through me šŸ˜¬
I doubt I would put myself through all that pain again but I have no history of breast cancer so far
I am nearly 70 and by the time a cancer was large enough to cause me problems I would be long gone

I wish, but it was throughly checked out when it first appeared and no one knew what it was. At least, at the time, it was not thought to be the awful aggressive cancer the I thought it was. This is the first time I freaked over a supposed medical problem. Seems I am still a little freaked. šŸ˜‚
Please keep this appointment, the mental stress of not knowing will continue to be a major drain on you. We are praying for you.

@Aneeda72 I should have mentioned this was one of the Mobile Breast Screen Units where I had my last exam
We were passing by the grounds of the Hospital last week and it was back....and a cold shiver ran right through me šŸ˜¬
I doubt I would put myself through all that pain again but I have no history of breast cancer so far
I am nearly 70 and by the time a cancer was large enough to cause me problems I would be long gone
Exactly my thoughts. I am 74. I have put myself through so much medically for my children and especially for my favorite son. But I must die sometime, and he must learn to cope with this eventually. The knowledge that I will bring him pain breaks me in two. This past year or so Iā€™ve refused many of the tests my doctor have wanted done. My will is DNR/DNI.

At this age, I realize I grow closer to death and further from life each year. I endure so much pain, refusing meds except in the worst of times. And I donā€™t want to live till 80, or older. Life is not a contest for who lives the longest. Itā€™s about quality of life. Many of us are learning how unhappy we are with the little confinement we are enduring due to the virus.

Think of people in nursing homes, always confined. I do not want to finish in a nursing home. So, strangely enough, I am really struggling with this stupid mammogram. And while I didnā€™t ever want a hip replacement again, I do want to be able to walk, so I am gun ho for the surgery. šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

Exactly my thoughts. I am 74. I have put myself through so much medically for my children and especially for my favorite son. But I must die sometime, and he must learn to cope with this eventually. The knowledge that I will bring him pain breaks me in two. This past year or so Iā€™ve refused many of the tests my doctor have wanted done. My will is DNR/DNI.

At this age, I realize I grow closer to death and further from life each year. I endure so much pain, refusing meds except in the worst of times. And I donā€™t want to live till 80, or older. Life is not a contest for who lives the longest. Itā€™s about quality of life. Many of us are learning how unhappy we are with the little confinement we are enduring due to the virus.

Think of people in nursing homes, always confined. I do not want to finish in a nursing home. So, strangely enough, I am really struggling with this stupid mammogram. And while I didnā€™t ever want a hip replacement again, I do want to be able to walk, so I am gun ho for the surgery. šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø
@Aneeda72 I worked in a well run nursing home for 10 years and I vowed and declared never to end up in one

Back