Man Who Says McNugget Broke His Tooth Sues, He wants $1.1M from McDonald's.

A South Florida man who bit into a McDonald's chicken McNugget back in May says he got a lot more than he bargained for—and is now suing the fast food chain for $1.1 million over it. Alexei Stolfat ordered from the West Palm Beach restaurant through Uber Eats, and felt "unbearable pain" upon biting into one of the nuggets, the lawsuit says. He pulled out a nearly 1-inch bone he had chomped down on, and the pain continued for days, the Sun-Sentinel reports.

https://www.newser.com/story/296641...mcnugget-that-allegedly-broke-mans-tooth.html

Yes, I remember this case, and all the "humor" it spawned. To me, the only significant part of it is, how hot was the coffee? Apparently, nobody is
denying that the coffee was hot enough to cause third degree burns, which IMO makes McDonald's very much liable for damages. No restaurant should be serving carry-out food that is potentially that dangerous to the public.

No food is 100% safe....be it from a restaurant, or a grocery store. There is always the possibility of a "foreign object" finding its way into a food source during the processing or preparation. The frequent "recalls" are evidence of such possibilities, and it is never "intentional"...just part of life.

Insofar as McD's hot coffee is concerned....the cup clearly states that it is Hot....and a person should take note of that....we certainly do.

McDonalds knew that customers despised cool coffee. They modified their coffee urns to dispense coffee at extremely high temperatures. This was to lengthen the time the coffee stayed hot. I don't remember the temp, but the coffee was definitely hot enough to cause third degree burns. Miss Liebeck was not the first to be scalded by the heat of the coffee, it was a persistent problem. This was known by McDonalds management. What is significant is that McDonalds initiated a public PR campaign of misinformation about the triviality of her lawsuit.

When we were in the food manufacturing business, a guy sued us for breaking his tooth with a healthy cereal we made. The cereal became soft with milk on it, and we protested to our insurance co. They knew this guy's history...that he had been said to work at an insurance company and "knew the ropes". He just wanted to get his dental work paid for, which he did, because our insurance company settled it out just to get rid of it, knowing full well what he was doing. Grrrr!

I broke a crown eating pop corn once.... I should have got them to pay my dentist bill. lol

If I were the judge Id toss this out in 4 seconds and make him pay a fine and court fees for wasting time and taxpayer money.

I would be surprised if he got that much. It will be hard for him to collect any punitive damages as well for reasons that are numerous and boring. I can see perhaps getting any out of pocket costs and maybe some expense money, plus a few hundred or even a few thousand for P&S (pain and suffering). But, you never know what a jury is going to do. Oh, the stories that I could tell.

I would be surprised if he got that much. It will be hard for him to collect any punitive damages as well for reasons that are numerous and boring. I can see perhaps getting any out of pocket costs and maybe some expense money, plus a few hundred or even a few thousand for P&S (pain and suffering). But, you never know what a jury is going to do. Oh, the stories that I could tell.

Me, too, 911.

No food is 100% safe....be it from a restaurant, or a grocery store. There is always the possibility of a "foreign object" finding its way into a food source during the processing or preparation. The frequent "recalls" are evidence of such possibilities, and it is never "intentional"...just part of life.

Insofar as McD's hot coffee is concerned....the cup clearly states that it is Hot....and a person should take note of that....we certainly do.

Don, IMO there is a difference between a foreign object accidentally getting to a food item, and coffee which is deliberately made that hot, day after day. The hot coffee is obviously not an accident. It was a management decision to make it hot enough to send someone to the hospital with third degree burns.

That's quality control at the source. The end customer ie Mickey Ds or patron shouldn't have to check for that. Although it shows how fast we eat/chew food at times. I know with hamburger I'll get a small chip of bone every now and then. The slower I eat the quicker I sense stuff like that.

That's quality control at the source. The end customer ie Mickey Ds or patron shouldn't have to check for that. Although it shows how fast we eat/chew food at times. I know with hamburger I'll get a small chip of bone every now and then. The slower I eat the quicker I sense stuff like that.
We don't eat out, but every now and then (once a year or so), dear husband or I will hit a small bone fragment in ground beef, and it always spoils my appetite.

Back