Managing Diabetes.

Patnono

Hi it's been a year since I was diagnosed with diabetes, I'm finding it difficult to manage. I feel overwhelmed with all the information I've been reading and I even took a class on it. So many does and don'ts. I want to give up sometimes because it feels like I can't keep up with everything that's required to manage it.
Even having Terrible doctors who don't seem to care. Ive Changed doctors 4 times in one year. And because I have anxiety lately I've been eating more than I should. Does anyone have any tips on how to manage diabetes? Thanks

Not really, most people including me know what they need to do to manage their diabetes and don't do it.

It gets frustrating to change the habits of a lifetime and to constantly adjust your diet as your diabetes changes or grows worse.

IMO it's not fair to blame your doctor, it's your disease and it's up to you to take control of it.

Keep going back to the workbook from your class, keep listening to your doctor, make notes of what foods or changes in your routine seem to cause an increase in your blood sugar and keep trying to adapt your routine to the things that seem to work.

106408634d24dea5ce7455b8b6b8eb84.jpg

Good luck!

Not really, most people including me know what they need to do to manage their diabetes and don't do it.

It gets frustrating to change the habits of a lifetime and to constantly adjust your diet as your diabetes changes or grows worse.

IMO it's not fair to blame your doctor, it's your disease and it's up to you to take control of it.

Keep going back to the workbook from your class, keep listening to your doctor, make notes of what foods or changes in your routine seem to cause an increase in your blood sugar and keep trying to adapt your routine to the things that seem to work.

106408634d24dea5ce7455b8b6b8eb84.jpg

Good luck!
Your Right, but I do have a right to blame my doctor if their not doing their job by not educating me on what to do. My doctor did not even know which type I had and was told that I had issues with my feet, but would no give me a referral to a foot doctor because it wasn't going to kill me. I was at one time out of medication, pharmacy was out of it, doctor said it was ok to be without it for awhile and that I didn't need to test myself? What do you think of that?

I was diagnosed with T II back in 2015. I learned how to manage it but only after extensive study along with trial & error. One thing I learned was staying on a scheduled plan not unlike a financial budget.

• Carbs are not your nemesis the wrong kind of carbs are. Eat complex carbs, avoid anything in a package (processed).
  • Certain veggies are things to avoid. Most are safe but a few will spike your BS.
  • Take your insulin/meds as prescribed.
  • Avoid breads, pastas, anything that may contain real & fake sugars.
  • I avoid 'fat free' products, they add variations of chemical sugars to enhance the taste.
  • Drink & eat dairy products made from whole milk (but in moderation). A little natural cheese ok, not fake.
  • Certain fruits are a land mine, I found that berries are relatively safe but then again eat them in moderation.
  • Don't drink sodas of any kind, nothing there for you.
  • Exercise walking is my way, 40 minutes a day every day.
  • Keep your weight under control, I have a BMI of less than 24.
  • Avoid stress (if possible), get good sleep.
  • Eggs, coffee, plain whole milk yogurt (add cinnamon/nutmeg (it's not bad), oatmeal, beans, beans & more beans, did I mention beans?
  • Limited meats, less red meats. No condiments, except fresh salsa. Get your protein, calcium, potassium helps keep the BP normal.
  • It does help to be OCD, helps me avoid desserts, candy & goodies for 4 years now.
  • The BS strips are a crap shoot, 45 makers of them with a 15-20% FDA tolerance, they can be all over the place. An A1C is more accurate.
  • My A1C last Oct was 4.6% ranges between 3.8 to just under 5.
  • more...

Good Luck!

Diabetes can be controlled and so reduced. I don't deal with IT but take of my health as if I had IT.

Doctors don't care, we have TO TAKE CHARGE, docs write the expensive bandaids, callled drugs.

The above info on foods is great.

Grape Seed Extract is said to "reduce" diabetes and I've been taking it for many years, not for this but for general good health. Do a search.

Whatever "jaminhealth" says above, that's up to her, but both wife and I, and other Diabetic II's follow what our PCP's tell us and prescribe us.

Are you a Diabetic I or II? You do know the difference, don't you? Anyway, Diabetic I needs an insulin shot daily, whereas, Diabetic II, like wife and I, take a 500 mg Metformin twice a day and I also take a Glipizide once daily. Both my VA doctor and my wife's PCP tell us we are doing fine, as long as we continue with the Metformin. Our A1C is where it's suppose to be and our blood tests show that. We are both doing fine and still eat good.

I've been a Diabetic II since 2008 and do fine on my two prescription meds. There are times that I eat something that will raise my BG up the next morning, but not by a lot.

WOW, thanks for taking the time to give me all this information, it is helpful. You mentioned your BMI, that's Great!!! But how old are you may I ask? Cause I'm 64 that works against me and I suffer from anxiety and depression, so having these is hard to control stress. I take my meds regularly, my ALC is 6.5 (doctor says that's good) which I get checked every 3 months. And I found out that I'm criticized for having it??? Doctor said could be hereditary? Like how could I let this happen??? Others in the class say the same thing. So I don't speak of it. I will definitely use the information you sent me. Thanks

My BMI is somewhere of 30 pounds over at 6'1". My wife's BMI is around 20 pounds or so over. She's headed towards 71 and I'm headed towards 70. Being 30 pounds over is much, much better than being 50, 75 or 100 pounds over.

Our exercise comes in the summer with power boating, target shooting and a few other things...…..including, playing our Wii Game.

Absolutely no anxiety or depression issues for either of us.

Whatever "jaminhealth" says above, that's up to her, but both wife and I, and other Diabetic II's follow what our PCP's tell us and prescribe us.

Are you a Diabetic I or II? You do know the difference, don't you? Anyway, Diabetic I needs an insulin shot daily, whereas, Diabetic II, like wife and I, take a 500 mg Metformin twice a day and I also take a Glipizide once daily. Both my VA doctor and my wife's PCP tell us we are doing fine, as long as we continue with the Metformin. Our A1C is where it's suppose to be and our blood tests show that. We are both doing fine and still eat good.

I've been a Diabetic II since 2008 and do fine on my two prescription meds. There are times that I eat something that will raise my BG up the next morning, but not by a lot.

Not everyone dealing with diabetes is on insulin. We are so much in control of what we live with but many just think the drugs do the job. Ok...

I just happen to believe that eliminating breads, pastas and rice and white potatoes would make a huge difference, but so many are IN LOVE with their breads.

True, but there are alternatives, pastas-Miracle Noodles/Bread-Almond flour. Count the carbs on the packaging and plan your meals around that, that's what I do so you don't deprive yourself. I have a sweet tooth I put some Cool whip on some sugar free jello very satisfying. People just have to be creative.

And people need to just plain eliminate foods with high carb content especially those dealing with diabetes.

I truly think that years of being raised on spaghetti and lots of breads caused a lot of my dental work in my early life. Now to stay out of dental chairs, I've chosen to cut those white carbs completely out. I have not been to a dentist in probably 8 yrs as my dental health is so improved. One can do it, if they are about their health and not giving $$$$ to the doctors. I've been thinking of breaking down and getting a bowl of spaghette but have not yet, it's been well over 10 yrs. But this is how I do it. j

You don't say if you're diabetic? It's ok to eat spaghetti as long as it's whole wheat, taste good. You can still have the white items just keep it within the carb allowance.

You don't say if you're diabetic? It's ok to eat spaghetti as long as it's whole wheat, taste good. You can still have the white items just keep it within the carb allowance.

Oh. I don't try to count carbs, I just eat LESS refined carbs...to me they are dead foods. I get plenty of carbs from veggies. And a small pizza now and t hen.

No I'm not diabetic and don't want to be. j

Good for you, but you never know? In my class they said it could be heritary? So you can be as careful as you want, but could still get it? I was careful about my eating too and still got it ��

Good for you, but you never know? In my class they said it could be heritary? So you can be as careful as you want, but could still get it? I was careful about my eating too and still got it ��

Yes, the tendency to develop Type II can be inherited, which is why they usually ask if anyone in your immediate family is diabetic.

Managing Diabetes

I'm really struggling with my diabetes, don't know if I can do it? I also suffer from anxiety and depression, it's ALL about the carbs??? I'm afraid to eat them, then I'm left hungry, if I mostly eat meat then cholesterol raises. Iam taking my medication like I'm supposed too. All I hear is the negative? Some say it can be reversed? Others say no? I even took classes on managing it. The side affects from the medication can kill you, seems either way I LOSE?? So WHY keep stressing about it? Thanks to anyone who reads this... just frustrated is ALL

I'm really struggling with my diabetes, don't know if I can do it? I also suffer from anxiety and depression, it's ALL about the carbs??? I'm afraid to eat them, then I'm left hungry, if I mostly eat meat then cholesterol raises. Iam taking my medication like I'm supposed too. All I hear is the negative? Some say it can be reversed? Others say no? I even took classes on managing it. The side affects from the medication can kill you, seems either way I LOSE?? So WHY keep stressing about it? Thanks to anyone who reads this... just frustrated is ALL
I have a friend who cured his diabetes with the Keto diet...He no longer takes any medications and is doing great...I know of a few other people who have also cured their diabetes with the Keto diet...It may be worth a try.

There is no cure for diabetes. You can control it with diet, exercise and in some cases medication. Having your blood glucose numbers in control is the goal, but it takes dedication and is a lifetime commitment.

Thanks for writing, the person who wrote me before you, said a friend of theirs got rid of it? Thought of dealing with this Forever is very daunting?

There is no cure for diabetes. You can control it with diet, exercise and in some cases medication. Having your blood glucose numbers in control is the goal, but it takes dedication and is a lifetime commitment.
Ketogenic diet has cured many people with diabetes...They no longer need to take insulin or any medications...I know a few of these people personally...I'm not saying it works for everyone, I guess it depends on how bad their diabetes is or what type it is, but it's definitely worth trying in my opinion.

Ketogenic diet has cured many people with diabetes...They no longer need to take insulin or any medications...I know a few of these people personally...I'm not saying it works for everyone, I guess it depends on how bad their diabetes is or what type it is, but it's definitely worth trying in my opinion.

And again, there is no cure for diabetes. A person can MANAGE THE SYMPTOMS with diet, exercise and sometimes medication. If your friend who has been "cured" reverts back to poor habits, I can assure you that the symptoms of diabetes will return. Check some reputable medical websites, and the American Diabetes Association for accurate information.

Pat--there is no magic. You have to begin new habits to learn to live with diabetes. If you don't, you will likely end up with much more serious problems. It's not difficult but it does require a certain amount of dedication on your part. Good luck.

Back