Mass shooting/killing in Indianapolis FedEx this evening

Let's not make up feeble excuses for such doltish behaviour.

You know as well as I do, that pulling a gun on someone for something so petty is not in keeping with being a responsible gun owner.
You missed the point.
Intelligent people expect insanity now (like crazy driving, pulling a gun over something petty, etc.) so intelligent people don't confront anyone over petty issues. If they do, they're looking for trouble themselves. And sometimes they will find more than they wanted.

What are we supposed to do--round up everyone with a gun and ask them to hand them over? Like that's even possible...who knows what the right answer is...do the non Americans know the answer?
No, they don't. They just like to use such opportunities to tell us how much better things are in their country.

Nothing sarcastic about it, snails move faster than Congress.
America is not Australia nor the UK. There is a different culture and a different mindset where I live although there are people who have adopted American thinking about guns.

20 years ago we were woken up by an horrendous day in Tasmania where a disturbed young man went on a killing rampage at an historic tourist site called Port Arthur. Our then Prime Minister, a conservative politician, bravely stood before an angry crowd of gun owners and told them that things were going to be very different. He then worked with the state premiers to draft uniform firearms legislation. Certain guns were banned, registration was required for all legal guns owned, an amnesty period was declared for illegal guns to be surrendered for destruction, a voluntary buy back scheme was introduced and that is just what I can remember off the top of my head.

Many said that it would not work. Some of my neighbours who had rifles for 'roo shooting were very angry and vowed to bury their shooters just like the Scots did with their claymores when they were banned by the English. Some used the buyback offer to buy newer guns but at least these were registered. Most of this outrage was just bluster because the majority of Australians supported the uniform approach to firearms legislation and no-one wanted to ever see another Port Arthur massacre.

Twenty years later there has not been another Port Arthur or anything like it.

America had its chance with Sandy Hook but refused to take it, so you find yourselves in a recurring nightmare where even little children can be slaughtered at will. Brave American youngsters are begging to change but are mostly not listened to.

Don't ask other nationalities how to fix your problem.
You own it. Don't argue about it. Work on it. Start yesterday.

America is not Australia nor the UK. There is a different culture and a different mindset where I live although there are people who have adopted American thinking about guns.

20 years ago we were woken up by an horrendous day in Tasmania where a disturbed young man went on a killing rampage at an historic tourist site called Port Arthur. Our then Prime Minister, a conservative politician, bravely stood before an angry crowd of gun owners and told them that things were going to be very different. He then worked with the state premiers to draft uniform firearms legislation. Certain guns were banned, registration was required for all legal guns owned, an amnesty period was declared for illegal guns to be surrendered for destruction, a voluntary buy back scheme was introduced and that is just what I can remember off the top of my head.

Many said that it would not work. Some of my neighbours who had rifles for 'roo shooting were very angry and vowed to bury their shooters just like the Scots did with their claymores when they were banned by the English. Some used the buyback offer to buy newer guns but at least these were registered. Most of this outrage was just bluster because the majority of Australians supported the uniform approach to firearms legislation and no-one wanted to ever see another Port Arthur massacre.

Twenty years later there has not been another Port Arthur or anything like it.

America had its chance with Sandy Hook but refused to take it, so you find yourselves in a recurring nightmare where even little children can be slaughtered at will. Brave American youngsters are begging to change but are mostly not listened to.

Don't ask other nationalities how to fix your problem.
You own it. Don't argue about it. Work on it. Start yesterday.
I can ask other nationalities for suggestions if I care to. I don't actually own it--I did not start this problem. It is our govts. problem to solve and all the non americans keep telling us to do things but have no suggestions for us besides to seem to think we are lowly now with this awful problem.

I can ask other nationalities for suggestions if I care to. I don't actually own it--I did not start this problem. It is our govts. problem to solve and all the non americans keep telling us to do things but have no suggestions for us besides to seem to think we are lowly now with this awful problem.

Govt. is the worst enemy of the people! What other Country on Earth is almost 30 Trillion in debt?

I gave you a handful of practical steps, which taken together, could make a difference to the death tallies.

Here's another. Start demanding action from your elected representatives. Don't stop until they start paying attention.

Here's another. Start demanding action from your elected representatives. Don't stop until they start paying attention.
Does not work anymore. The threat of non re-election means nothing to them. In just 2 years as a House member they make almost $350,000.00, nice pocket change for 2 years.

Irrelevant. The US is a representative democracy and the governments are elected by the citizens. If the people demand action with persistence it can happen. If it doesn't, change the government.
Supposedly that's what the Jan. 6th U.S. Capitol building insurrection was about. Govt., act for us, or we will create tyrrany.

Does not work anymore. The threat of non re-election means nothing to them. In just 2 years as a House member they make almost $350,000.00, nice pocket change for 2 years.
Negative thinking produces zero results.

They panic when they fear that they will lose power.

Can I offer some inspiration from the words of William Shakespeare -

“There is a tide in the affairs of men, Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and in miseries. On such a full sea are we now afloat; And we must take the current when it serves, Or lose our ventures.” ― William Shakespeare , Julius Caesar

You ever live in the U.S.?

No, but I assume that we are all of the same species, with the same hopes and dreams.
Don't you ever dream of a land where children are safe at school, where people can congregate in their places of worship and go to work without fearing for their lives?

I did spend some time in US during Reagan's time and I felt no fear then.

No, but I assume that we are all of the same species, with the same hopes and dreams.
Don't you ever dream of a land where children are safe at school, where people can congregate in their places of worship and go to work without fearing for their lives?

I did spend some time in US during Reagan's time and I felt no fear then.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow wrote a poem which was set to music "I heard the bells on Christmas day..." With the hook of "Peace on Earth, good will towards Men".

IF only someday.

Well I would have to agree if you would have said that in the first place.

I only have one mind, and half the time it's stuck in neutral. :)

We, as taxpayers, can NOT legally challenge an expenditure of Congress, that's why they can appropriate 700 million of our tax dollars to Sudan and we can't do crap about it. Morons.

Back