Meatloaf Ideology! :)

Ruthanne

SF VIP
I just thought about meatloaf as I haven't make one in ages and wondered what all goes into yours? I usually have the ground beef, celery, onion, breadcrumbs, ketchup and an egg and put that together. I forgot how long I cooked it or the best temperature, though. I'd be interested in new variations, ingredients and ideas on meatloafs.

meatloaf.jpg

meatloaf2.jpg

meatloaf3.jpg

Mine is similar to yours but I use ground turkey and add a packet of GOYA beef-flavored bouillon and a squirt of Worcestershire sauce.

I make mine free form and bake it in the toaster oven for about an hour.

I enjoy the ice-cold leftovers sliced thin for sandwiches better than having it hot for dinner.
That sounds good and I should put a dash of Worcestershire sauce in mind and see how that tastes.

I love a good meatloaf. I use my Sicilian grandma's recipe for meatballs. Yum!

1 lb beef
2 tablespoons finely minced onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons bread crumbs
3 tablespoons grated cheese (Romano or Parmesan)
1/4 cup water
1 egg

You can adjust the amounts of ingredients to your own liking.

After baking I'll even cut it into bite-sized pieces and add it to spaghetti sauce, it's easier than making meatballs. Personally, I have never liked it baked with ketchup or Worcestershire sauce, but I'll eat it with ketchup with my meal.

Those are the basics I use for my meatloaf. It sort of depends on what I spot when I open the spice rack. Sometimes I put grated carrots in or substitute oat bran for the bread crumbs.

My favourite part is the glaze. Ketchup, brown sugar, mustard & Worcestershire sauce.

I love a good meatloaf. I use my Sicilian grandma's recipe for meatballs. Yum!

1 lb beef
2 tablespoons finely minced onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons bread crumbs
3 tablespoons grated cheese (Romano or Parmesan)
1/4 cup water
1 egg

You can adjust the amounts of ingredients to your own liking.

After baking I'll even cut it into bite-sized pieces and add it to spaghetti sauce, it's easier than making meatballs. Personally, I have never liked it baked with ketchup or Worcestershire sauce, but I'll eat it with ketchup with my meal.
Thank you for that recipe. Sounds like a great meatloaf!

Those are the basics I use for my meatloaf. It sort of depends on what I spot when I open the spice rack. Sometimes I put grated carrots in or substitute oat bran for the bread crumbs.

My favourite part is the glaze. Ketchup, brown sugar, mustard & Worcestershire sauce.
Great ideas! I think my mother used to put oatmeal in her meatloaf, oat bran sounds good, too. Oooh that glaze sounds to die for!

Let me add a twist..... ONION BOMBS!!!!!!
Mix your favorite meatloaf recipe... set aside.
Blocks of cheese about 1 inch... Mozzarella works great.
Cut an onion in half and sort out several baseball size layers
and of course... BACON!!!!!!
Take a block of cheese and ball it up in your mix to the size of your onion layer and wrap in bacon.
We pressure cook ours most the way then finish off in the air fryer

When it comes to finding different way to make anything we rely on pinterest.

500+ Meatloaf recipes ideas in 2020 | meatloaf ... - Pinterestwww.pinterest.com › ironmikebean › meatloaf-recipes

we scroll thru to see what looks interesting then try it.

Mine is basic with many of the ingredients mentioned. I do have to use either oatmeal or cornflake crumbs because of my wheat problem.
One thing my mom did was to form the meat around 3 peeled hard boiled eggs.
I'm not sure if it was to stretch the meat or make me eat it. It looks nice when you slice it.
I did that when my kids were little and they loved it. They called it meatloaf with eyeballs.

Let me add a twist..... ONION BOMBS!!!!!!
Mix your favorite meatloaf recipe... set aside.
Blocks of cheese about 1 inch... Mozzarella works great.
Cut an onion in half and sort out several baseball size layers
and of course... BACON!!!!!!
Take a block of cheese and ball it up in your mix to the size of your onion layer and wrap in bacon.
We pressure cook ours most the way then finish off in the air fryer
Sounds good but I am not so clear on how to put the meat with the onion bombs...

Mine is basic with many of the ingredients mentioned. I do have to use either oatmeal or cornflake crumbs because of my wheat problem.
One thing my mom did was to form the meat around 3 peeled hard boiled eggs.
I'm not sure if it was to stretch the meat or make me eat it. It looks nice when you slice it.
I did that when my kids were little and they loved it. They called it meatloaf with eyeballs.
I'm laughing because I'm picturing a meatloaf looking at me with big eyes... :LOL: (y) That sure is different than any meatloaf recipe I've seen so far. How long do you bake it and at what temp. I've forgotten how long and the temperature.

Try using a package of Lipton dry onion soup/dip mix. You get the onion flavor and don't need to add any spices!
Sounds very tasty but I'm guessing it may have a very high sodium content so I'd have to skip the onion soup mix. I would have enjoyed it very much before I had the salt intake decreased.

Any or all of:

A few glugs of Worcestershire sauce.
Chopped bell pepper
Chopped onion
Ketchup
Mustard
Stale bread soaked in milk and squeezed out
Egg or 2
S & P
Parmesan cheese
Shape free form in large pan
Cover with strips of bacon
Worcestershire sauce should make it very tasty. I wonder if I could soak the stale bread in coconut milk. How long to soak the bread?

I tried one time using oats instead of the breadcrumbs in my meatloaf; don't remember if we liked it or not. (I kinda suspect that maybe it wasn't a success and I'm repressing the memory.) :ROFLMAO:
I have a ton of oats I should use up, that is if they are still good. My mom used to use them, too. I'll try it and see just how good it is;)

I'm laughing because I'm picturing a meatloaf looking at me with big eyes... :LOL: (y) That sure is different than any meatloaf recipe I've seen so far. How long do you bake it and at what temp. I've forgotten how long and the temperature.
@Ruthanne I use 2 pounds of ground beef, seasonings and oatmeal or cornflake crumbs and 3 hard boiled eggs. Put the eggs in end to end. and incase with the meat all the way around.. I put it in a loaf pan and bake @350 for 1 hour. I drain the fat as soon as I an handle the pan.

Back