Met someone, is it real or is it a catfisher

So true, Gaer. I should know, I live in a 55 plus apartment complex and the place is full of "little ole' ladies." A few still have husbands but the vast majority live in some sort of ivory tower alone. I hope they are happy? I think it is a sad reflection of our society to end up alone in your senior years.
Sorry, but what’s the difference besides gender. You are a ‘little ole’ man living by yourself. Seems rather sanctimonious. You don’t know if they’re happy or not.

I met my S/O over a year ago on the internet. I live in a rural area where there aren't any opportunities to meet someone. He lives 30 minutes away. I researched him thoroughly and told him I did. He had no problems with it. The company he works for requires a criminal background check every few years. He gave me a copy of the findings (there were none). We have never and have no plans to combine finances. There won't be a wedding, either. We both agreed to that very early on. My divorce damn near gutted me financially and I'm too old and perhaps too untrusting to get married again.

So, while I have every reason to believe he's "one of the good guys", I haven't let my guard down completely.
I’m with you. I met a man on a dating site and we have been together for over seven years. We also will not marry but we both have our wills rewritten so that we are each others beneficiaries. He was a widower. We both do not have children. I financially contribute to his/our home.

Having friends to do things with is important but I am not looking for romance. I joined a singles dining group for seniors and that’s been fun. I still have all my friends from before the divorce so have plenty to do. None of my married friends are happy with their spouses. I like deciding what I want to do and not have anyone to take care of, clean up after or criticize me.

Having friends to do things with is important but I am not looking for romance. I joined a singles dining group for seniors and that’s been fun. I still have all my friends from before the divorce so have plenty to do. None of my married friends are happy with their spouses. I like deciding what I want to do and not have anyone to take care of, clean up after or criticize me.

My wife's mom is alone now. Her Dad passed about ten years ago. Has been a hard transition and also into finding new friends.

Our best wishes for you to find some nice new friends and some nice experiences.

My wife's mom is alone now. Her Dad passed about ten years ago. Has been a hard transition and also into finding new friends.

Our best wishes for you to find some nice new friends and some nice experiences.
I think it’s important to always have friends whether you are married or not. Some people drop their friends once they marry. My life changed very little with the divorce because I had all my same friends and activities. Joining the dining group gave me people to go out to dinner with.

He's an ortho doctor......works for the UN......practices in overseas countries.
He's presently in Yaman, Germany......returns back to his home in Ontario, Canada, this month.
Have been communicating for the last two weeks.

So......what's wrong with me.
The typical characteristics of a catfish are:

They claim to live in your country but are in a foreign country on business.
Their language doesn’t quite fit the good grammar of your native language.
They quickly fall in love with you over the Internet.
They can’t wait to get home to meet and marry you.
They suddenly experience a catastrophe in the foreign country that requires money.
Their own access to money has been lost, stolen, or compromised temporarily.
They need a quick loan from you to resolve the issue.
They will repay the loan as soon as they get back home to you.
If you send the money, other complications needing money will follow.
Once they’ve bled you dry, you never hear from them again.

They suddenly experience a catastrophe in the foreign country that requires money.
You are absolutely right on all clues.
I’ve done a lot of learning since this post.
Have had a lot of them appear…..and….I’ve made them all disappear.
These sites where these people come out of the wood works, are in deed scams, big time.

You are absolutely right on all clues.
I’ve done a lot of learning since this post.
Have had a lot of them appear…..and….I’ve made them all disappear.
These sites where these people come out of the wood works, are in deed scams, big time.
It seems they are all physicians and also travel over the world,
(being an administrator of an International children's organization)
and are SO well versed on saying just the right things!

So glad you are protecting your heart, @MickaC!

Last edited:
It seems they are all physicians and also travel over the world,
(being an administrator of a children's organization)
and are SO well versed on saying just the right things!

So glad you are protecting your heart, @MickaC!
You know what…..
I’ve noticed on FB…..friend requests are popping up out of no where lately…..all men…..haven’t excepted any and never will.
Life is weird sometimes…..don’t any of these people have hobbies or anything better to do.

I did have fun with one of them once, back in my on-line dating days.

Same 'ol, same 'ol....he was a doctor on a "medical mission" in Africa. All of his money and ID had been stolen when he was kidnapped by a warlord and he had escaped with his life.

He just needed some money to get home, where his "organization" (which he dared not name as they were operating clandestinely in the country, which is why he couldn't go to an embassy or consulate) would straighten everything out. He'd pay me back and we'd be on our way to romance....

I mean, what a story.....George Clooney could play him in the movie, right?

So I had fun playing along. Where do I send the cash? Oh, no, wire transfer it. I'd wait 24 hours and say I'd rather send cash. NO! WIRE TRANSFER! 24 hours later, I'd ask him if he wanted it in $100's or small bills or would money orders be OK? He's burning up the net explaining how to do a wire transfer. I keep asking where to send the cash. Would it be better in U.S. dollars or euros?

I can only surmise that he was fairly new at this because I managed to drag it out over several days before he dropped out.

Oh, well....I have to get my fun where I can find it.

I did have fun with one of them once, back in my on-line dating days.

Same 'ol, same 'ol....he was a doctor on a "medical mission" in Africa. All of his money and ID had been stolen when he was kidnapped by a warlord and he had escaped with his life.

He just needed some money to get home, where his "organization" (which he dared not name as they were operating clandestinely in the country, which is why he couldn't go to an embassy or consulate) would straighten everything out. He'd pay me back and we'd be on our way to romance....

I mean, what a story.....George Clooney could play him in the movie, right?

So I had fun playing along. Where do I send the cash? Oh, no, wire transfer it. I'd wait 24 hours and say I'd rather send cash. NO! WIRE TRANSFER! 24 hours later, I'd ask him if he wanted it in $100's or small bills or would money orders be OK? He's burning up the net explaining how to do a wire transfer. I keep asking where to send the cash. Would it be better in U.S. dollars or euros?

I can only surmise that he was fairly new at this because I managed to drag it out over several days before he dropped out.

Oh, well....I have to get my fun where I can find it.
That's hilarious!

Back