Military Slang Questions

Damaged Goods

Is "Front-leaning rest position" still used in Army Basic and AIT? First time a DI said it to me I was ?????. But I soon got the message when he added "You count the sets and I'll count the repetitions."

Is "Mae West" still used in jump school? That was still the case in 1966 but the folks today may have an updated term.

Dad (WWII) sometimes referred to K-rations. Our field rations were C-rations and the dates on the packages were early '50s suggesting that they made their debut during Korea. Are they still around or have all been dumped?

I remember the first sergeant came in for a lot of grief
First Pig
War Pig

Cheese Eater (snitch)
scratching my head, the guys, when in a group, lead with their colorful complaints regarding the army, trying to remember..

Well, now they're MRE's.....Meals Ready to Eat.
It was unanimously agreed that the worst of the 12 C-rat meals were ham and lima beans, affectionately called "ham and m___________," especially if eaten cold. The liquid was globs of fat bubbles.

Ironically, the supplemental snacks and desserts that accompanied ham and limas were the best. I don't remember the exact items but something like canned peaches, a nice chunk of chocolate, and cheese and crackers.

All C-rat meals had small packs of cigarettes. I think four individual cigarettes in a mini-pack. Betcha they don't have them today.

It was unanimously agreed that the worst of the 12 C-rat meals were ham and lima beans, affectionately called "ham and m___________," especially if eaten cold. The liquid was globs of fat bubbles.

Ironically, the supplemental snacks and desserts that accompanied ham and limas were the best. I don't remember the exact items but something like canned peaches, a nice chunk of chocolate, and cheese and crackers.

All C-rat meals had small packs of cigarettes. I think four individual cigarettes in a mini-pack. Betcha they don't have them today.
I was in the Army 64-67 and remember those cigaretts in with the c-rations, but I also remember a 'vest pocket bible'... am I remembering something that didn't exist? I am thinking It was a tad larger than an old flip phone and contained the new testament

I was in the Army 64-67 and remember those cigaretts in with the c-rations, but I also remember a 'vest pocket bible'... am I remembering something that didn't exist? I am thinking It was a tad larger than an old flip phone and contained the new testament
Same era but do not remember any such bible.

The spaghetti with beef chunks was my go to ration. :)
Later on, we started getting LRRP ( Long-range reconnaissance patrol) dehydrated meals.

The only cigarettes we got came in an SP pack. "SP's" as they were known to those who served in the bush of Vietnam were treasured. The packs, which came out to us periodically, were rather large cardboard boxes that contained cartons of cigarettes, writing paper, envelopes, and ball point pens. I particularly liked the Chuckles candy too. :D

c-rats 2.jpg war.jpg

BOHICA (Bend over, here it comes again)
That brings back old memories. When I was stationed on the Nimitz our print shop onboard made paper bumper stickers on this because we had a Commanding Officer (CO) that loved to stay out to sea. One night while we were inport a few of the sailors went out and bumper stickered the CO's windshield on his car completely covering the windshield. The stickers were the hard ones to get off made of paper. We never did find out who the culprits were that did this. The print shop was order to stop making the stickers.
USSNimitz.jpg

Our first Sargent, who apparently didn’t like officers, told us..never salute me, I work for a living.
I first heard this in basic. I knew that was the rule, but one day I was leaving the mess hall and a Sergeant was entering. Without thinking, I saluted him. He told me the next time I saluted him, he would break my F'ing arm. That did it for me because I believed him.

I first heard this in basic. I knew that was the rule, but one day I was leaving the mess hall and a Sergeant was entering. Without thinking, I saluted him. He told me the next time I saluted him, he would break my F'ing arm. That did it for me because I believed him.
There are some folks in our condo association that call me "sir". I still respond to not call me that because I work for a living.

Tony

I learned some great poetry watching "Full Metal Jacket."
I don't know but I've been told.....
Eskimo ----- is mighty cold
That was the stuff we said in Basic Training as we marched and marched and marched and marched... ;) 🇺🇸
I haven't (and won't) watch the movie, but do recognize the phrases. I never thought of it as poetry but instead just cadence. Interesting thought though.

Tony

My favorite "slang" was FIGMO. I don't know if that is still used, but decades ago, it was our indicator of the future.
Yes, I remember that all too well. I may have to stop reading the military sub-forum because it brings back memories that I finally got past.

Tony

That was the stuff we said in Basic Training as we marched and marched and marched and marched... ;) 🇺🇸
I haven't (and won't) watch the movie, but do recognize the phrases. I never thought of it as poetry but instead just cadence. Interesting thought though.

Tony
I also remember another march tune: "Ho Chi Minh is a Son-of-a-b---h." 😁

Back