My #1 pet peeve about winter

moviequeen1

My # 1 pet peeve about winter is owners who can't be bothered to shovel their front sidewalks even though their driveways have been plowed.
As a life long walker,winter is the only season where I'm a bit leery if I can't tell where the ice is
There is a city law that the sidewalks need to be shovel or they will be fined,unfortunately its never really enforced
For those of you who live through yearly winters,what is your #1 complaint?
Please don't go 'off topic',thanks Sue

Some heavy snowfalls & some lighter but it did snow every winter. My number one peeve after getting out & shovelling my driveway, walks & steps along comes the city snow plow depositing it's larder on my just clean driveway & curbside. Of course if you leave it they can give you a citation or the mail service will refuse to deliver your mail. If you don't get to it right away the darn pile freezes overnight into a solid cornrow of ice blocking your exits.

Clearing sidewalks is a big issue where I live too!

Even the city is guilty of not clearing sidewalks in front of all city-owned property.

IMO the problem exists because we have so many absentee landlords in the city and no real enforcement of the existing laws requiring property owners to clear the walks.

The city is looking into a pilot program to hire contractors to clear the walks as a city service.

My personal peeve is having to wear boots in the winter.

Bean.jpg

I wish we had a local by law that had the city clearing the pavements ( sidewalks)...we don't nor does anyone clear them outside their homes..so it's a nightmare walking in the snow here unless you have appropriate non slip boots...

My pet hate is driving in the snow, because here we don't use chains or snow tyres !

Sue, where I live people have 24 hours after the snow stops falling to clear their sidewalks. I try to do it as soon as possible, if we get several inches sometimes it's easier to shovel twice than wait for thick heavy snow to move. Folks by me are pretty good about clearing their sidewalks. We have a lot of dog walkers in my neighborhood, including myself, so it's nice to make things safe for all who pass by.

Guess one of my winter pet peeves is drivers who don't slow down for the conditions, seen a couple spin out for no reason but carelessness yesterday, luckily they didn't affect any other cars or property.

My # 1 pet peeve about winter is owners who can't be bothered to shovel their front sidewalks even though their driveways have been plowed.
As a life long walker,winter is the only season where I'm a bit leery if I can't tell where the ice is
There is a city law that the sidewalks need to be shovel or they will be fined,unfortunately its never really enforced
For those of you who live through yearly winters,what is your #1 complaint?
Please don't go 'off topic',thanks Sue

The way in which our local law reads.......

If you shovel, you're liable...if you do not? you are not. Something about creating a false sense of safety.

My #1 complaint is that it is winter......:rolleyes:

SB....what happens if it snows when you're away from home, perhaps on holiday , and you can't clear it in 24 hours. what happens then?...

We have several neighbors who will shovel your walk if they see you're not around to do it. I often do three other neighbors on my block on either side of my house even when they're home, maybe at work or haven't come outside yet. They are all pretty good about watching out for each other. My next door neighbor took out his snowblower early today and did my driveway too. I just use a shovel when I remove snow.

I think if someone doesn't clear their sidewalk in time, someone from the city code enforcement will come around and post a warning on their door and give them additional time. After that there's some kind of a fine given to the homeowner. I never have a problem or knew anyone who was fined.

People here don't clear the pavement of snow because they
wrongly think that if they do and somebody slips and falls they
will be sued for injury.

I too thought that some council somewhere had taken a resident
to court for cleaning snow off the pavement, but I can find no
reference to it.

Here is an article telling people that it is OK to remove the snow,
unfortunately in another article it says that it is an offence if you
put the snow where traffic moves or pedestrians walk, so where
do you put it?

https://www.gov.uk/clear-snow-road-path-cycleway

Mike.

I hate driving behind someone who hasn't cleared the snow off the roof of their car. I've had big chunks of snow hit my windshield from the car ahead me . Besides scaring the life out of me when it hits I've been blinded by it for a few seconds. Very dangerous. There is a law but not enforced.

We have very mild winters in Houston, but I hate it when we need to turn the heat on. It makes the air dry and gives me nose bleeds.

It was sunny and gorgeous today; I had to shovel sunshine in my shorts. :sunglass:

My pet winter peeve has to do with nature. I live in a woodsy section of Pennsylvania. We will have bit of snowy weather. When you wake up, the snow is white and pure. A clean canvas as far as you can see. It's nature at her most beautiful. But the next day, there are "critter" tracks all over the place. The following days day, it's Grand central Station with "critter" tracks everywhere. There no more clean canvas, but hundreds of animal tracks, and droppings. Ahhhhh!!

My pet peeve about winter is that it just keeps coming back ... year after year!! :grin:

Just kidding! I couldn't live happily in an area that doesn't have four well-defined seasons.

Back