My favourite sweets (candy) when I was a kid...

hollydolly

SF VIP
WE rarely had money for sweets but when we did.. I loved Chocolate coconut Crispets....

We can't buy them in the shops these days but they're available online at retro sweet stores...

il_570xN.4813556631_qyvz.jpg

another were little tiny iced coated squares of coconut...called Jap desserts.. Very un PC these days..

However even if they were readily available, I wouldn't be able to have them because I cannot tolerate coconut...now ..

Scottish Sweets

What sweets or Candy did you love as a kid.. and get nostalgic for now...

Last edited:
Malted Milk Balls - Yum

View attachment 320695

I remember those. Everything sweet tasted great as a kid. Most of what we got then I wouldn't want now where candy is concerned. But my mother backed cookies and cupcakes and those were pretty good at least as I remember them now. But three things she made I would still love today: her fudge, toffee and Hello Dolly cookies.

I remember those. Everything sweet tasted great as a kid. Most of what we got then I wouldn't want now where candy is concerned. But my mother backed cookies and cupcakes and those were pretty good at least as I remember them now. But three things she made I would still love today: her fudge, toffee and Hello Dolly cookies.
it's funny you should mention fudge... this is mainly where we got our sweets as a kid, because we made Fudge.. or Scottish tablet, which is a super sweet type of fudge.. in Home economics ( cookery class) at school.. one can of condensed milk, a bag of sugar and we had enough fudge to last a week...

Last edited:
WE rarely had money for sweets but when we did.. I loved Chocolate coconut Crispets....

We can't buy them in the shops these days but they're available online at retro sweet stores...

il_570xN.4813556631_qyvz.jpg

another were little tiny iced coated squares of coconut...called Jap desserts.. Very un PC these days..

However even if they were readily available, I wouldn't be able to have them because I cannot tolerate coconut...now ..

Scottish Sweets

What sweets or Candy did you love as a kid.. and get nostalgic for now...

I sometimes get something similar called turtles made of caramel with pecans coated in chocolates. But I like coconut too.

My family had a small neighborhood grocery store when I was a little kid, and there was a whole candy counter, with three long rows of all kinds of candy, everything from penny candy to regular candy bars.
Since it was something that was there, all the time, every day; I really didn’t care for candy. I did like the malt balls, and there was a candy bar called “Idaho Spud”, which was kind of like a giant malt ball and had flecks of coconut on top of the chocolate coating.

What I really liked as a child was something home-made, like cookies or the fudge that my Grandma Bailey made at Christmas time. She made chocolate fudge and a white kind , called divinity, which i didn’t like as well as the chocolate fudge.
My mother worked in the store from around 7-7 each day, and she didn’t have time to bake anything, so anything homemade was a treat to me.

IMG_5745.jpeg

My family had a small neighborhood grocery store when I was a little kid, and there was a whole candy counter, with three long rows of all kinds of candy, everything from penny candy to regular candy bars.
Since it was something that was there, all the time, every day; I really didn’t care for candy. I did like the malt balls, and there was a candy bar called “Idaho Spud”, which was kind of like a giant malt ball and had flecks of coconut on top of the chocolate coating.

What I really liked as a child was something home-made, like cookies or the fudge that my Grandma Bailey made at Christmas time. She made chocolate fudge and a white kind , called divinity, which i didn’t like as well as the chocolate fudge.
My mother worked in the store from around 7-7 each day, and she didn’t have time to bake anything, so anything homemade was a treat to me.

View attachment 320711
looks delicious....

that reminded me of a sweet that I haven't seen since I was a kid called..Lucky Tatties ( potatoes).. they tasted of Cinnamon, and occasionally there would be a 'lucky'' tiny toy inside one..
luckytatties2.jpg

Now there's a Southern treat that brings back scrumptious memories.
My mother made the best, lightest, most delicate Divinity I've ever had. Must have been the way she worked the egg whites. Always SOoo good.
Honestly no idea what mom's Divinity secret was but it wasn't from her mother ... My grandmother's Divinity was heavy. Not light and delicate at all like her daughter's.

Back