My Last Contribution to Wounded Warriors

fmdog44

Just received a skimpy, small blanket more suited for a small pet from the Wounded Warriors Charity for money sent. I look at the label and it reads, Made in China". Isn't China the communist giant that killed American fighting troops during the Korean War?! Isn't China the greatest threat to our allies in the Pacific region? No more money from me. They are going to hear from me.

Just received a skimpy, small blanket more suited for a small pet from the Wounded Warriors Charity for money sent. I look at the label and it reads, Made in China". Isn't China the communist giant that killed American fighting troops during the Korean War?! Isn't China the greatest threat to our allies in the Pacific region? No more money from me. They are going to hear from me.

I'm glad you posted this,it's a disgrace to our Veterans. Really thank you for letting us know.

The "Wounded Warriors Project" was reported as a scam as far back as 2016. Their primary objective seems to be spending lavishly on their executives and staff.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-news-investigates-wounded-warrior-project-spending/

I guess I see it a little differently, I get upset when charities waste my donation by giving me gifts instead of spending the money I contribute on the cause that they are promoting.
A children's hospital commercial states clearly "If you don't want the blanket please indicate so." Now I wonder what exactly the Wounded Warrior Project actually does for our vets.

"Charities" that are advertised to benefit wounded war veterans and children with birth defects attract the gullible because you're supposed to feel warm & fuzzy about donating. That's how they could afford to put on the MDA Telethon each year. (Note all the "cures" they found - from the billions they took in???) People just don't want to believe the truth - which is they're rewarding scam artists when they donate.
The advertising technique is what's known as "The Hourglass Method." Your heart fills up while your brain empties.

When WWP first started, they really did benefit Veterans coming back from the wars in the mid-East. As they grew and grew and took in more and more money, they have lost their way. It’s sad how charities turn from doing good to becoming self benefiting.

When WWP first started, they really did benefit Veterans coming back from the wars in the mid-East. As they grew and grew and took in more and more money, they have lost their way. It’s sad how charities turn from doing good to becoming self benefiting.
Somebody's gotta pay the bills, somebody's gotta pay (big) salaries, somebody's gotta profit. Very little--if any--money goes to the cause. Goes for any "charity."

I guess I see it a little differently, I get upset when charities waste my donation by giving me gifts instead of spending the money I contribute on the cause that they are promoting.
I completely agree. It also disturbs me to get endless mailings asking for more donations. I swear, some of these charities spend more on printing and postage than they received from me in the first place. Doctors Without Borders was the worst offender.

I send my military donations to The Navy Marine Corps Relief. They have been around for many decades and have a solid reputation. During my 31 years in the Navy, I saw their good works on a regular basis.
All these new pop-up military charities are highly suspect as far as I am concerned.

I completely agree. It also disturbs me to get endless mailings asking for more donations. I swear, some of these charities spend more on printing and postage than they received from me in the first place. Doctors Without Borders was the worst offender.
Luckily I have not got any of those mailing lists!!

Somebody's gotta pay the bills, somebody's gotta pay (big) salaries, somebody's gotta profit. Very little--if any--money goes to the cause. Goes for any "charity."
There are websites that examine how much money actually goes to the named recipients and some charities are honest about their claims. I am very pissed that WWP is not one of them.

Once they reach a certain number of donators, they sell the list.

I am so disappointed by this. I supported Wounded Warriors to honor my Dad who was 100% disabled in WWII. I had investigated the charity early on and didn't find any red flags. But I didn't continue to check on them as I sent them donations. They won't be receiving any more money from me.

ALL charities have big expenses & employees to pay. The bigger the charity, the bigger the expenses are & the less money left for the "cause." The reality is, charities help only those that run it.
Win231, your brush strikes me as a little bit on the broad side. It is true that many charities are overly generous to themselves. But consider a charity like the Salvation Army which is impeccable in the way they handle donations. There are others as well that spend money like their donors intended.

I have found that Charity Navigator does a good job of evaluating charities and I use it when contemplating a donation. They will identify the "bad actors", and there are many.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/
I cut way back on my donations to the Red Cross when I learned how much they pay the head of their organization. (I also didn't like it when they sent me a bill for $100 for being a volunteer. That took some real BRASS. Unfortunately, the Red Cross is often the only game in town when it comes to some big disasters.

Once money leaves your hands, you have no way of knowing where it will go or how it will be spent. You are simply trusting a group of total strangers with money. That's where the warm & fuzzy issue comes in - wounded veterans, crippled children, etc. That's what creates that "Hourglass Effect;" your heart fills up while your brain empties.
If you met a stranger on the street & they asked for a donation to some worthy cause, you would never give them any money because your common sense would tell you not to. Not much different with a charity, except it's anonymous.
Similar: We see someone holding up a sign: "Have Four Kids, Homeless, God Bless." News investigators followed these people after their day of panhandling & videotaped them getting into a $50,000.00 SUV. When questioned, they shove their kids into their pricey SUV &....race off.
They make MORE money than working people & it's tax free.

Win231, your brush strikes me as a little bit on the broad side. It is true that many charities are overly generous to themselves. But consider a charity like the Salvation Army which is impeccable in the way they handle donations. There are others as well that spend money like their donors intended.

I have found that Charity Navigator does a good job of evaluating charities and I use it when contemplating a donation. They will identify the "bad actors", and there are many.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/
I cut way back on my donations to the Red Cross when I learned how much they pay the head of their organization. (I also didn't like it when they sent me a bill for $100 for being a volunteer. That took some real BRASS. Unfortunately, the Red Cross is often the only game in town when it comes to some big disasters.
I just looked up Wounded Warriors and it showed five pages all having different addresses.

But consider a charity like the Salvation Army which is impeccable in the way they handle donations. There are others as well that spend money like their donors intended.
I had a friend whose sister worked at a Salvation Army store. When donations were received the manager took first dibs at the best items and then what was left was put out to sell. My friend's sister didn't complain because she needed her job. I still give stuff to the SA anyway. Although I always said that if I won money I would give some to the Red Cross, now I'm having second thoughts.

I had a friend whose sister worked at a Salvation Army store. When donations were received the manager took first dibs at the best items and then what was left was put out. My friend's sister didn't complain because she needed her job. I still give stuff to the SA anyway. Although I always said that if I won money I would give some to the Red Cross, now I'm having second thoughts.
Yeah, people who work there always take the good stuff for themselves. I only donate directly. That way, I know where it went.
Several years ago, after weight loss, I was about to take my XL-size, near new $300.00 North Face coat there. I thought better of it & gave it to a guy who sits in front of a nearby church every morning. He started crying while he tried it on. It fit him perfectly.
Had I left it at the Salvation Army, it would never have made it to anyone needy.

Last edited:

Back