My new dog

Biting is becoming a real issue when bringing Bella back into the house from potty. She is so hyper to go play that getting her leash off without a bite is nearly impossible. And while I put gloves on, the point is not to be safe in the gloves, the point is to stop her biting.

When she is in the hyper corgi puppy zone, it’s bite bite bite when she is touched or picked up. She wants to go do what she wants to go do. Google says to get a cotton ball, I am going to use a rag a cotton ball might choke her, and soak it in bitter apple. Let her have the cloth to bite on and keep it in her mouth for a while so she hates the taste. This “primes“ her so to speak. Then soak your hands, using my gloves, in bitter apple and this will stop the biting.

Only if she hates the taste. I will pick up bitter apple today and give this a try. I tried the other method of putting my fingers all the way in her mouth, which just made her madder and bite more. I tried the method of touching the back of her mouth while she is biting down, nope.

I tried screaming when she bites nope. So, it’s got to be the bitter apple and if that doesn’t work they have other stronger stuff. The bitting must stop. She has also decided she doesn’t want her feet touched, most dogs don’t, and bites for that sooo. Bitter apple it is.

And instead of letting her play after going outside, it’s in the crate for a calmer puppy when she wakes up and a less frustrated human, but I still got to get that leash off her. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Smart dogs can learn a lot in a short period of time, as everyone knows, and she is a very smart dog. She does not get frustrated but, of course, I do. Any “job” driven dog wants to do a job so they are eager to learn. The human adult has the frustration and impatience due to their incompetence to teach little ones so they can understand and learn. 😂 Applies to both puppies and children.

When I get frustrated, training stops. While I have had a few dogs, and trained all our puppies, I always take the puppies to formal training classes for the socialization and tips I get from the trainers. I read everything on line to update myself, and I read training books. Just ordered a new one from Amazon as new better methods of training are explained.

At board and train, and I have sent my 3 previous service dog candidates to board and train after I trained them, the puppies are trained every hour. I trained Bella with the sit training twice a day, using the clicker and treats. Then stopped treating. Then when we went to walk outside I told her sit before I opened the door, waited for the barking to stop, and for her to sit, and in we went. Same for out.

I am sure @MickaC used this training method as well with her pups. Sit is the easiest and most important command to train IMO, what do you think MickaC?

Now when we reach the door, in and out, she sits without the command. Coming in she will get up and bark for me to open the door, I ignore her unitl she sits and is quiet. As soon as she does the door opens. But these are not long sits, very short sits cause as everyone has said she is very young.
I"m TOTALLY WITH YOU, Aneeda.
And.....
You're right, frustration appears with us sometimes more than the puppy, time out for both is a good thing. (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

So I put the puzzle on the floor or snack tray 😂, took her outside, brought her back in, and as she was distracted and pulling on the leash to get to her treats i removed her leash with only a half snap in the direction of my hand. 😉. Mom 1 Bella full. 😂

Biting is becoming a real issue when bringing Bella back into the house from potty. She is so hyper to go play that getting her leash off without a bite is nearly impossible. And while I put gloves on, the point is not to be safe in the gloves, the point is to stop her biting.

When she is in the hyper corgi puppy zone, it’s bite bite bite when she is touched or picked up. She wants to go do what she wants to go do. Google says to get a cotton ball, I am going to use a rag a cotton ball might choke her, and soak it in bitter apple. Let her have the cloth to bite on and keep it in her mouth for a while so she hates the taste. This “primes“ her so to speak. Then soak your hands, using my gloves, in bitter apple and this will stop the biting.

Only if she hates the taste. I will pick up bitter apple today and give this a try. I tried the other method of putting my fingers all the way in her mouth, which just made her madder and bite more. I tried the method of touching the back of her mouth while she is biting down, nope.

I tried screaming when she bites nope. So, it’s got to be the bitter apple and if that doesn’t work they have other stronger stuff. The bitting must stop. She has also decided she doesn’t want her feet touched, most dogs don’t, and bites for that sooo. Bitter apple it is.

And instead of letting her play after going outside, it’s in the crate for a calmer puppy when she wakes up and a less frustrated human, but I still got to get that leash off her. 🤦🏻‍♀️
There will be trying times........her nipping could be for several reasons........right now i'm thinking.......teething......could be wrong.
I'm going to do some thinking.

There will be trying times........her nipping could be for several reasons........right now i'm thinking.......teething......could be wrong.
I'm going to do some thinking.
Please do. It’s not when I take her out of the crate, only when I bring her inside from potty outside during the day. No problem for nighttime potty breaks either. The She gets to go out back to play off leash and runs to back door when she wants to go in and no problem with picking her up.

View attachment 145454Snack includes apples; cheese, and peanut butter. No peas and carrots; 🤦🏻‍♀️ husband ate the rest last night 😞
WAY to go BELLA...........I might give you a suggestion........save the high quality treats for new and special tasks and for best behavior.
I save cheese for high quality missions for Micki........eg. - toenail trimming......i use a toenail grinder.

WAY to go BELLA...........I might give you a suggestion........save the high quality treats for new and special tasks and for best behavior.
I save cheese for high quality missions for Micki........eg. - toenail trimming......i use a toenail grinder.
Hmm maybe a chunk of it to distract her when we come in so I can get her leash off. It’s so odd, if I take her to her crate no problem. 🙁

I found information on google that talks about how some puppies are very sensitive and if not touched a lot as a young puppy they can dislike being touched later. It said these puppies are very squirmy when picked up.

When we chose Bella at five weeks, the breeder and I could barely hold on to her, she was so squirmy. 😮. I figured, since they were in the garage, she wasn’t handled a lot as a young pup. 🤦🏻‍♀️ The article also talked about reaching over her head and touching her collar. This can be risky with an older dog but never had a problem with a pup until now.

As I have to reach over her head to undo the leash, unless she is pulling towards something, this has become an issue. It says to have her on the floor, reach over her head with one hand, which is when she tries to bite, and distract her with a treat in the other hand. Hmm, I will probably lose both hands. But, oh well.

Worked like a charm as soon as she realized i had a treat. 😂

It also detailed getting her used to handing as in getting her feet touched. Lately she hates HATES having her feet touched. But when I hold a treat in my hand and she gnaws at the treat, touching paws is tolerated. Still got all my fingers. 😍

I am starting to suspect that Bella’s personality is more red heeler than corgi. Red heeler do not like to cuddle or even be touched a whole lot. 🤦🏻‍♀️ What is recommends is lots of handling during puppyhood. 🙄. Alrighty then.

Yes, i can see your conclusion about physical touching.
So they feel comfortable with touching, been held, etc. .........it's high on the recommend list.
But.....
There are some that just don't feel cuddly.
Try daily rub downs with your hands, massages, petting, all over......can be enjoying for her.....i think it will just take time with Bella.

My Sheltie, Tia who passed 2016. One of the quirks she had was.......her space.
She wasn't really a cuddly puppy.......she needed her own space......If you were sitting with her, maybe sometimes too close, she would do the unhappy scold to me.

I think the reason may have been because.......
Any picture i saw of her showed she was scrunched in a the back of the crate/kennel with her 5 siblings.
She would always come sit with you, but, as long she has her space, if not she did grumble, and on the bed, don't take to much room there either.
Never any issue doing her nails, brushing. trimming her feet, but.......don't take her space.......she remained the same through her life.

Now Micki.......she was one of those that didn't do a lot of cuddling, she would sit beside us, be petted, not necessarily cuddling.

Doing her toenail was a performance......my now ex would hold her while i did her nails.......but many time not cooperating......he wasn't very patient, and scolded her, roughness in his voice.......she was not a happy camper.
One time while waiting on him.......i started her nail by myself, and was done before he came to help.......from then on i did Micki's nail by myself.

Now Micki....... insists on cuddling, tons of petting, rubbing all over, getting as much couch space as she can muster with her BUTT.......ha ha.
A grown Corgi has enough force in that bunny butt of their's to push a human over to get more room...........and " THAT is MICKI "

The biting with her razor blade teeth.......she didn't do that much.......refused to play rough anywhere around her head or month, which is something she liked to do.
Even now.......you have to watch your fingers, she can be very rough in taking treats.......when i hand one down......command is to sit and then proceed giving her treat......but, very slowly, if she looks like she's going to be rough about it which seems to be her way......pull the treat back and try again, i do this once, then she's more gentle.

Every dog/puppy is different about how they learn......... they're mannerisms.....good, bad habits, personalities.
I'm seeing a lot of Micki in Bella.

Sorry........my typing finger is getting very tierd.
Tomorrow........Bella.:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Yes, i can see your conclusion about physical touching.
So they feel comfortable with touching, been held, etc. .........it's high on the recommend list.
But.....
There are some that just don't feel cuddly.
Try daily rub downs with your hands, massages, petting, all over......can be enjoying for her.....i think it will just take time with Bella.

My Sheltie, Tia who passed 2016. One of the quirks she had was.......her space.
She wasn't really a cuddly puppy.......she needed her own space......If you were sitting with her, maybe sometimes too close, she would do the unhappy scold to me.

I think the reason may have been because.......
Any picture i saw of her showed she was scrunched in a the back of the crate/kennel with her 5 siblings.
She would always come sit with you, but, as long she has her space, if not she did grumble, and on the bed, don't take to much room there either.
Never any issue doing her nails, brushing. trimming her feet, but.......don't take her space.......she remained the same through her life.

Now Micki.......she was one of those that didn't do a lot of cuddling, she would sit beside us, be petted, not necessarily cuddling.

Doing her toenail was a performance......my now ex would hold her while i did her nails.......but many time not cooperating......he wasn't very patient, and scolded her, roughness in his voice.......she was not a happy camper.
One time while waiting on him.......i started her nail by myself, and was done before he came to help.......from then on i did Micki's nail by myself.

Now Micki....... insists on cuddling, tons of petting, rubbing all over, getting as much couch space as she can muster with her BUTT.......ha ha.
A grown Corgi has enough force in that bunny butt of their's to push a human over to get more room...........and " THAT is MICKI "

The biting with her razor blade teeth.......she didn't do that much.......refused to play rough anywhere around her head or month, which is something she liked to do.
Even now.......you have to watch your fingers, she can be very rough in taking treats.......when i hand one down......command is to sit and then proceed giving her treat......but, very slowly, if she looks like she's going to be rough about it which seems to be her way......pull the treat back and try again, i do this once, then she's more gentle.

Every dog/puppy is different about how they learn......... they're mannerisms.....good, bad habits, personalities.
I'm seeing a lot of Micki in Bella.

Sorry........my typing finger is getting very tierd.
Tomorrow........Bella.:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:
Yup I pick her up, rub her all over try and touch her feet without getting bitten, it’s going to be a long period of time before she is happy with the foot touching. She really hates being on my lap. I’ve started crated her more and making her sleep more, I think this will help her not getting hyper.

She is not rough taking treats. I can currently hold the treat and she will nibble at it so lucky that way. Doing that as I reach over her head and touch her collar to try and enable me to put leash on and off without being bit. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Shot on Friday, puppy class starts on Saturday.

Slow progress with Bella. Part of Bella issue with walking out the door was she knocked over a gate on herself that denied her access to some wires. Seems when she walked by that spot she got really mad-at me. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Removed the gate but have confined Bella to puppy play pen so she has a better wake/sleep ratio.

Apparently, some of her crankiness is caused by her being overtired. I can relate. 😂. I continue to have petting sessions with her, with feet touching and if she tries to bite I scream bloody murder which can startle her enough to get her to rethink biting.

She now has a really good appetite and I use the puzzle at every meal as a slow feeder she as she now wolfs her food.

A new issue, when I take her out to potty, she grabs a section of leash and attempts to play tug of war. I just stand there, gazing off in the distance, wondering if I should have bought a toy poodle while she pulls and growls and does her tugging thing. When she is done, we get back to going potty.

I no longer have to shove her butt into the crate. Once she gets to it, which can be a tussle as she tries to grasp my socks, or shoes, or slippers, she goes in. 50 percent of the time I can pick her up without risking a hand or finger, but she has started biting at my feet and legs again. One step forward, three back. It’s going to be a long puppyhood.

She continues to be very very demanding. She is not a “chill” dog for sure. I read more on her behavior and female corgis can also be aggressive puppies. Oh goody. Shot tomorrow but I made a mistake and dog training does not start till the 30th. So far we are the only ones on the class which is disappointing as I want puppy socialization.

I have asked the trainer to bring her pup, a slightly older lab. She could use a bigger puppy to teach her manners. Ok, got to put her to bed.

Have you ever heard the phase " Honeymoon is Over "
Little Angel has turned into a puppy now.
Has she being given any privilege to do exploring in the rest of the house.......on leash, if you don't trust her with accidents.
Do you have play sessions with her, other than just her and her toys.
As far as toys are concerned........i learned in class.......that.......do not leave all toys out all the time.
Suggested was to leave out maybe 3 or 4 or 5 toys for daytime play.....the good toys bring out when it's playtime, with you and Bella, then when that playtime is over, put the good ones back away till next play together.
This was suggested in class........iI used to have in the kitchen on the farm an open shelf close to the floor, where all toys were kept, so that the purpose was they got them when they wished, whenever.
The answer in class was.......they will get uninterested with them......and more often than not.......do want to play with them anymore.
So i gathered several small bunches of toys, put them away, till was time to play with different ones.......that way....toys were missed, gave them the impression that there were new toys, or they missed them.

I think both you and Bella both will enjoy the classes.

Both Micki and her sister, Campbell both carry quite an attitude trait........non of the brothers did.......2 queens in the litter.

Routine is very important.

Some aggressiveness could be her trying to gain control

To put my long jabbering to bed........

A person cannot compare one's puppy to another puppy........they're all different, just like us.......what works for one may not work for another.

So happy and proud of you, Aneeda, for entering classes for Bella and yourself. ENJOY.

Be a good girl, Bella.

Will love to hear how things go with that.......i'm sure Bella and you will do great.

Yes, I bought a lot of toys and rotate them. Boredom is bad. Yes, Bella and I play outside in the back yard as she gains confidence with the freedom of the yard and me sitting close by. Today making a puppy pen in the back for safety so she can not eat yard crap; and she is afraid of neighbors dogs so keeps her away from close up by dense contact.

This way she can play a bit outside with mom inside and not get frightened. But have the freedom of the non garden larger yard. But she mostly wants to lay by my feet, same as inside.

I time everything she does. She is a energize bunny dog so I break up her day and then crate for naps. Yes, honeymoon is over for sure. She has been able to explore the whole house on her own which has caused a few more accidents but those are to be expected since we have no way of knowing what other dogs left presents.

I don’t know what you mean by play sessions. I give her massages three times a day to encourage relaxation, trust, and biting control. I have screamed so much to startle and control biting I now have a sore throat 😂. But it has started to work. High pitched screaming to sound like another puppy is hard on the throat apparently.

We walk on leash outside around the property until her second shot which is today. We visit stores. After second shot we can visit parks and I am looking forward to taking her to a local public farm with horses, cows, various birds. Tired of staying home myself.

IMG_0631.jpgIMG_0635.jpg Hi Bella. Nice to meet you. My name is Micki. I'm a girl, so that's why my name is spelled with an i instead of a y........i turned 9 years old the 8th of this month........Could you ask your Mom if i can come over and play sometime......i could show you some fun tricks. [ better known as my bad habits. lol lol lol ] Don't tell my Mom.

Just a suggestion of what worked well for me when training pups not to bite me or anything else off limits. I'd buy a bag of small rawhide bones with the knuckles. I never left the pup there with them for chewing unsupervised, these were just for no bite training.

Both my husband and I was sure to keep one in our pocket around the house. When the dog went to bite on our hands or something else not appropriate, we immediately whipped out the bone and said something like, 'No, you chew on this!' They were distracted and started chewing on the bone instead, as soon as they dropped it and walked away, lesson over. The bone was picked up again and pocketed for the next time needed. Worked like a charm, all household members must be on the same page and correct bad biting, don't have to do it very long for the dog to catch on.

Also, nothing more effective than a reliable Sit command. To get the leash off her, or to stop her from jumping up, a Sit command is key to avoiding a lot of aggravation. :D

Just a suggestion of what worked well for me when training pups not to bite me or anything else off limits. I'd buy a bag of small rawhide bones with the knuckles. I never left the pup there with them for chewing unsupervised, these were just for no bite training.

Both my husband and I was sure to keep one in our pocket around the house. When the dog went to bite on our hands or something else not appropriate, we immediately whipped out the bone and said something like, 'No, you chew on this!' They were distracted and started chewing on the bone instead, as soon as they dropped it and walked away, lesson over. The bone was picked up again and pocketed for the next time needed. Worked like a charm, all household members must be on the same page and correct bad biting, don't have to do it very long for the dog to catch on.

Also, nothing more effective than a reliable Sit command. To get the leash off her, or to stop her from jumping up, a Sit command is key to avoiding a lot of aggravation. :D
You brought a lesson learned in manners class back......went through the pages from classes with Micki, and the rawhide bone exercise was something we used as well......and there's a big check mark beside it because it was a very effective learning tool.

Yes, I bought a lot of toys and rotate them. Boredom is bad. Yes, Bella and I play outside in the back yard as she gains confidence with the freedom of the yard and me sitting close by. Today making a puppy pen in the back for safety so she can not eat yard crap; and she is afraid of neighbors dogs so keeps her away from close up by dense contact.

This way she can play a bit outside with mom inside and not get frightened. But have the freedom of the non garden larger yard. But she mostly wants to lay by my feet, same as inside.

I time everything she does. She is a energize bunny dog so I break up her day and then crate for naps. Yes, honeymoon is over for sure. She has been able to explore the whole house on her own which has caused a few more accidents but those are to be expected since we have no way of knowing what other dogs left presents.

I don’t know what you mean by play sessions. I give her massages three times a day to encourage relaxation, trust, and biting control. I have screamed so much to startle and control biting I now have a sore throat 😂. But it has started to work. High pitched screaming to sound like another puppy is hard on the throat apparently.

We walk on leash outside around the property until her second shot which is today. We visit stores. After second shot we can visit parks and I am looking forward to taking her to a local public farm with horses, cows, various birds. Tired of staying home myself.
A fright mode clicked in when you mentioned Bella being outside in a pen, with you inside.
Do you have a fenced yard.
If you don't have a fenced yard, i would so much worry about loose dogs, loose people wanted possibly taking her.
Sorry....i wouldn't feel good about Bella being outside by herself.
Please don't be offended.......this is just my opinion.
Play sessions.........with yourself and Bella......fetch, some tug of war.....not real hard......releases some frustrations she might have.....but don't always let her win.
You're doing great socialisation.......great for her confidence.

A fright mode clicked in when you mentioned Bella being outside in a pen, with you inside.
Do you have a fenced yard.
If you don't have a fenced yard, i would so much worry about loose dogs, loose people wanted possibly taking her.
Sorry....i wouldn't feel good about Bella being outside by herself.
Please don't be offended.......this is just my opinion.
Play sessions.........with yourself and Bella......fetch, some tug of war.....not real hard......releases some frustrations she might have.....but don't always let her win.
You're doing great socialisation.......great for her confidence.
We have a fenced back yard but this is an old house and while I pick up crap all the time it still rises to the surface including broken pieces of glass. The outside puppy pen is right below the kitchen window. I am IN the kitchen. Gate is always kept locked. We removed a cement pad that was here, tilled due to trees roots. Removed roots, put in rocks, totally safe for her.

I am doing this, outdoor pen when weather is nice, for only 10 minutes about 3 times a day. We are together 24/7 and she needs to learn separation is ok. Plus she is fussy about where she potties, you know inside on carpet 😂 or on front yard and won’t potty in back yard Even when she has free range. I think it’s neighbors dogs that make her nervous.

Also, made the pen big enough to start playing fetch, I have the balls 🤪, but it rained all day yesterday a d last night-first time in 6 weeks for moisture. 🤦🏻‍♀️ I order a plastic type pad to put under her indoor playpen on top of the carpet, not slippery sonce she has back tracked on potty training, to be expected, of course. As you know dogs are not fully house trained till they are 2.

But for now, back to basis. Potty outside, crate inside while we wait for Amazon to deliver today. I am glad you are keeping me on my toes, what you say always gives me ideals. Thanks
@MickaC

View attachment 145806View attachment 145807 Hi Bella. Nice to meet you. My name is Micki. I'm a girl, so that's why my name is spelled with an i instead of a y........i turned 9 years old the 8th of this month........Could you ask your Mom if i can come over and play sometime......i could show you some fun tricks. [ better known as my bad habits. lol lol lol ] Don't tell my Mom.
If only I could send Bella to your house 😂, she is so cute! How much does she weigh? Bella has a blocky front that I think is a red heeler look.

Yes we are working on sit all the time. She has a selective hearing issues 😂 as well. I use treats to distract her at massage time, but at nine weeks it’s going to be a long road. I am finding a small dog is much different than a big one. I have not owned a small dog in 48 years, she is so hyper.

Back