My State of Tennessee asked alot of Questions for free help in my house.

The state has a program to help people with house keeping and it's free. One problem is they asked me 25 questions about my health and the house. Just wondering if they wanted to put me in a nursing home which I don't want to go. Questions asked Can you walk and can you feed yourself, can you take a shower without help, etc. I didn't get the program because they said I'm to healthy.

I never heard of any government agency offering free maid service. I wish there were. That's what they are trying to weed out with the health questions.

The state has a program to help people with house keeping and it's free. One problem is they asked me 25 questions about my health and the house. Just wondering if they wanted to put me in a nursing home which I don't want to go. Questions asked Can you walk and can you feed yourself, can you take a shower without help, etc. I didn't get the program because they said I'm to healthy.
They were probably determining how much/what type of assistance was needed. When I would set up for the health aid to come in to provide care, I'd have to find out similar things. Goes along with a plan of care, which the government (at least for hospices) can ask to see if they come into audit. I'm sorry you didn't get it; but maybe that's a good thing? Surely if things change, you can contact them again

I would love to help with the house. Sad thing is, I know I could do it myself. I just need to focus and get a few things done everyday I could keep up with it. When you don't feel well (migraines and hip replacement) it is hard to keep up. I am widowed, don't have company so I think why bother. I just know I was happy when I could keep a clean house. Now, I am embarrassed by the whole thing. I went so far as to go the neighbors to call an ambulance during the hip problem.

Whenever a senior citizen expresses a need for in-home help with staying in their own house, there are always people who respond with a pie in the sky list of government agencies they have never used themselves and can’t vouch for their relevancy. The Illinois Community Cares program has a long list of requirements to qualify including a financial assets cap and a requirement that you be assessed as needing long term nursing home care by a Determination of Need assessment, whatever that is. In other words, I have never known any elderly person who received help with the 3 biggies of staying in your own house - housekeeping, laundry and lawn care.

Presently I am getting help from my state which includes an aide with up to 15 hours a week. I don't need or use that many hours but if I ever do I will have it. She cleans and does whatever I need. Even running errands for me. Yes, I had to answer a lot of questions (in person, they sent a nurse to evaluate me). I don't feel like they are trying to get me into a nursing but trying to help me stay in my home. At first I did not want the aide but I had to accept it in order to have other options I needed (like dental and vision care). So I did. Now I am good with the aide though the one I was using just quit and I am getting a new one.

pie in the sky list of government agencies
Very well put (for this state anyway). Someone was telling my late dad about a form of state assistance he might be able to get. Dad said, "How come I've never heard about this before." Guy says, "Because the state doesn't want you to know about it since it costs them money. That's why you almost always need a lawyer to get the assistance." The guy was right, not only in my dad's case but in other cases I know of.

Sometimes a "Voluntary Action Center" in your area has someone who will clean your house. I volunteered at the one here years ago, and within a month I got a call from a woman living in minimal health facility that needed her apartment cleaned. She had Leukemia and needed special care at or University Hospital. I cleaned for her and we happened to become very good friends too. :)

My drs offices have started asking a whole new set of questions with those on it, at every visit. Walk, feed self, shower, toilet, stairs, handle money, do I feel safe, most having nothing to do with what I went in for. Irrelevant. I frankly don’t like it. Maybe some new Medicare or insurance regulation.
I don’t qualify for any of the cr*p. But much govt help also based on assets. Anything at all in the bank, no help till It’s gone.

Whenever a senior citizen expresses a need for in-home help with staying in their own house, there are always people who respond with a pie in the sky list of government agencies they have never used themselves and can’t vouch for their relevancy. The Illinois Community Cares program has a long list of requirements to qualify including a financial assets cap and a requirement that you be assessed as needing long term nursing home care by a Determination of Need assessment, whatever that is. In other words, I have never known any elderly person who received help with the 3 biggies of staying in your own house - housekeeping, laundry and lawn care.
My mother, before she entered the nursing home, received housekeeping, laundry, and food delivery at no costs to her. She also had two aides coming to her house to help her. They took her shopping as well. (She didn’t have a lawn). All paid for by Medicare and Medicaid

My drs offices have started asking a whole new set of questions with those on it, at every visit. Walk, feed self, shower, toilet, stairs, handle money, do I feel safe, most having nothing to do with what I went in for. Irrelevant. I frankly don’t like it. Maybe some new Medicare or insurance regulation.
I don’t qualify for any of the cr*p. But much govt help also based on assets. Anything at all in the bank, no help till It’s gone.
My doctor started asking these questions as well, after I turned 75. I think it must be a Medicare thing.

Teacher Terry, maybe I’ll try that next time with a Dr I don’t care if I keep or not and see what happens.
The only problem with that is that here the ones asking the questions is often some young tech or medical assistant before one gets to see the Dr.

A few years ago I had a medical assistant ask about my sex life and I told her it was none of her business and don’t ask again. I was asked if I wanted to do a wellness exam and I said I would never do one. I have been going to the same doctor for 25 years.

Presently I am getting help from my state which includes an aide with up to 15 hours a week. I don't need or use that many hours but if I ever do I will have it. She cleans and does whatever I need. Even running errands for me. Yes, I had to answer a lot of questions (in person, they sent a nurse to evaluate me). I don't feel like they are trying to get me into a nursing but trying to help me stay in my home. At first I did not want the aide but I had to accept it in order to have other options I needed (like dental and vision care). So I did. Now I am good with the aide though the one I was using just quit and I am getting a new one.
Excuse me, what?!? Not meaning to be nosy, but would you clarify what that's about?

That sounds like a benefit in a Senior Advantage Plus plan. You don't "have to" use any feature that doesn't fit your needs.

Excuse me, what?!? Not meaning to be nosy, but would you clarify what that's about?
I tried using an aide twice before and the ones I had didn't work out. So I told them I didn't want one. They said I had to accept an aide in order to stay in their program (Fidilis Care). So I did because I am in the middle of having dental work done and need them to pay for it for me. Plus I need new glasses. It has something to do with long term care and staying in your own home.

Dental care is covered under NYState Medicaid, without need for another plan.....vision, I think so, but not sure.

Back