My trip to the Miniature Model Village & Railway

hollydolly

SF VIP
Yesterday I visited Bekinscot Miniature Model village and railway. Unfortunately even after weeks of sun, it chose yesterday to rain very hard.. and so altho' it had stopped for the duration I was there, everything was wet.. and the skies were grey ready for the torrential rain that stared 10 minutes after I left. So.. I was lucky to get it dry while I was there, but I did go around very fast because of the threat of the rain... . I would have chosen another day.. but it's one of the few attractions where I had to book a time slot and pay in advance.

.. I took loads of photos.. and there was lots of people there, and where possible I tried not to get people into my pictures.. but I took a few on purpose so you can see the scale.. Incidentally the Scale is 1.12 for the buildings, and 1.32 for the railways

I'll just post a few here.. for those who are interested... I hope you enjoy, it would have been so much nicer if it had been today when the sun is shining.. :D

IMG-4398.jpg

Last edited:
The idea of the Village is an impression of how a Traditional English village would have been decades ago , and still is in some places...

So you will find, schools, churches, high street stores/shops.. Pubs and pub gardens , hotels, cement works.. railways and stations, cricket and football grounds, a fairground, with a zoo.. petrol garage, businesses and many houses... the churches and schools represent the exact ones which are in the town where the Museum is situated

IMG-4364.jpg

green-blue-peter-bus.jpg

IMG-4550.jpg
Coal mining.. this model has sounds that you would expect from a coal mine and the belt where the coal gets moved from one building to the other to be sorted actually moves

The traditional Gypsy camp on the farmers' field , who would be employed by the visiting fairground on the right of the picture ... with the train which runs all around the site continuously, runs in the background

IMG-4522.jpg

I'm a big fan of model railroads, ever since I was a little kid. I just never grew out of it. The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, as an amazing room full of dioramas in miniature, often of rooms of great castles or buildings from the 17th century. They also have a huge model railroad in HO scale. They had an O scale when I was a kid that was much better and every car and engine were all built from scratch, but they removed and replaced it with HO, and most of it is just the same rolling stock found in a hobby ship, but the thing is huge, maybe the largest in the world.

I love these miniaturized places, though the only one I ever visited in person was in Belgium. Others I have toured on-line. I have built model railroad layouts and Tudor doll houses from scratch as my own recreational 're-creations.' Very grateful for all your wonderful images, HollyDolly!

boy, did I ever enjoy these - it was like taking my eyes out to lunch... :love:
aww that's lovely... there will be more to add another day... (y)

In the meantime if anyone ( not Brits obvs) is interested in knowing what our Motorway services ( rest stops) look like.. I took a few photos while I was at one yesterday ... It had just stopped raining.. when I took these pics so most people were inside..

IMG-4655.jpg

IMG-4649.jpg

The pub at the services ... very empty yesterday...

IMG-4641.jpg

IMG-4637-1.jpg

Back