My Unwelcome Mats

BIRDROCK HOME Come Back with a Warrant Coir Doormat - 18 x 30 Inch - Funny Mat - Standard Welcome Mat with Black Border an...

Although I wouldn't use an unwelcome mat, I love them. I really don't like people "stopping by" unannounced. šŸ¤Ø In fact, I dislike it so much, there are times I just haven't answered the door. I don't feel obligated to answer if I don't feel like it. "I stopped by but there was no answer. Your car was in the driveway, so I was sure you were home." I don't offer an explanation as to why there was no answer, I say, "Next time, call first." :)

Comedian Sebastian Maniscalco did a stand up routine on unexpected guests.

Back in the day it was called "company" and everyone got very excited. Mom pulled out the Sara Lee (cake) and they had a ball. I remember these days.

Today no. I no longer want unannounced guests in case there are dishes, I'm wearing crap or I haven't finished putting the groceries away...whatever.

How did we do it way back then?

Last edited:
Back in the day it was called "company" and everyone got very excited. Mom pulled out the Sara Lee (cake) and they had a ball. I remember these days.

I think in the past it was more acceptable to just drop in on people. In fact, I think they expected people to drop in, hence the ever ready cake. However, I think it's rather rude to do that. What makes anyone think I'll be glad to see them unannounced? Jeezus, half the time I look like something that the cat wouldn't drag in. šŸ„“

Comedian Sebastian Maniscalco did a stand up routine on unexpected guests.

Today no. I no longer want unannounced guests in case there are dishes, I'm wearing crap or I haven't finished putting the groceries away...whatever.

I'm guessing people generally got up earlier and got all groomed and dressed before breakfast. And they probably had only 1 cup of morning coffee instead of making it the longest break of the day.

I definitely like people to call me when they're gonna come over. And they do, so when I get an unexpected knock on the door, it's probably a delivery.

When we lived in the apartment, a knock meant either a delivery or the freakin manager....who, ironically, refused to see anyone who didn't make an appointment.

I'm guessing people generally got up earlier and got all groomed and dressed before breakfast. And they probably had only 1 cup of morning coffee instead of making it the longest break of the day.

I definitely like people to call me when they're gonna come over. And they do, so when I get an unexpected knock on the door, it's probably a delivery.

When we lived in the apartment, a knock meant either a delivery or the freakin manager....who, ironically, refused to see anyone who didn't make an appointment.
I can't remember whether it was Peg Bracken or Irma Bombeck who said, "The last time I was still in my robe at 10, I had had a baby at 9."

"I hope you told me you were coming over".........my fave. lol
I thought that was kind of the meanest one because it seems worded for friends and family who just didn't call first.

I've seen a lot of these mats online that say things like, "Like a good neighbor, stay over there," and it makes me kind of sad. When I was home a lot, back in the 60's and 70's people dropped in all the time without calling, one of my neighbors would pop in carrying her own mug of coffee, knowing I didn't have a coffee maker at the time.

I don't care who comes to the door, I invite them in. Yes I know a lot of Jehovah's Witnesses in several states and two countries.

It doesn't bother me if people catch me in pajamas, and If I'm putting groceries away, I say come on in the kitchen, I'm putting groceries away. Who says we have to be dressed up to talk to people? I trust they came to see me and not to check whether or not the dishes have been done.

Personally, I would never go to someone's house without calling first. But that's because I know how everyone seems to hate that, and I would never call first because that's too much like inviting myself, so I just stay home. But I think it's sad we all just sit in our houses hoping no one will ever visit.

Back