Name Something Your Mom or Grandmother Made That Was Your Favorite

My Mom was the best cook in the world. I particularly loved when she made what was called "The Wedding Soup. My Mom's mother passed away when I was only 4yrs old so I never tasted anything she made. My Dad's Mom hated my Mom and we were never invited to dinner so I never tasted anything she made either.IMG_9590_picmonkeyed.jpg

Pea soup. After the ham on bone was gone, she made pea soup with the bone and whatever meat was on it, split peas, carrots, potatoes, and perhaps other ingredients I wasn't privy too. It was slow cooked all afternoon while she watched her "stories". Hot pea soup with buttered rye bread perfect on a winter day. Leftover was even better.

My Mom was the best cook in the world. I particularly loved when she made what was called "The Wedding Soup. My Mom's mother passed away when I was only 4yrs old so I never tasted anything she made. My Dad's Mom hated my Mom and we were never invited to dinner so I never tasted anything she made either.View attachment 132339
That stuff is delicious if made right.

I miss the special dishes Mom made for New Year's Day. A thick sweet soup made from red adzuki beans with glutinous dumplings is something I haven't had in decades.

Udon noodles is also traditional to have New Year's morning.

Even if I could have these dishes at restaurants, they don't stand up to Mom's cooking.

Last edited:
Pea soup. After the ham on bone was gone, she made pea soup with the bone and whatever meat was on it, split peas, carrots, potatoes, and perhaps other ingredients I wasn't privy too. It was slow cooked all afternoon while she watched her "stories". Hot pea soup with buttered rye bread perfect on a winter day. Leftover was even better.
I used to love split pea soup, that sounds so good.

My mom made the very very best fried chicken. ...

My grandmother did too. Those old time Southern cooks knew just how to work that lard or original Crisco with the cast iron skillet to make crispy crust and tender meat. My grandmother used a lid on the skillet for a period of time, then removed it to crisp up the crust. So delicious, and so NOT healthy!

My grandmother did too. Those old time Southern cooks knew just how to work that lard or original Crisco with the cast iron skillet to make crispy crust and tender meat. My grandmother used a lid on the skillet for a period of time, then removed it to crisp up the crust. So delicious, and so NOT healthy!
All of my ancestors emigrated to NY and there they remained until my generation. Mom and both grandmas were quite good cooks, but none of them could make decent southern fried chicken. I didn't realize how poor their attempts were until my first taste of Colonel Sanders chicken!

Last edited:
All of my ancestors emigrated to NY and there they remained until my generation. Mom and both grandmas were quite good cooks, but none of them could make decent southern fried chicken. I didn't realize how poor their attempts were until my first taste of Colonel Sanders chicken!

As far as I remember, this is very close to how my grandmother did it--brown paper bag and everything. I do think my grandmother had an extra step of soaking the chicken pieces in buttermilk, then draining the excess buttermilk before the flouring step. It's that brown/cover/crisp cooking process that makes it so wonderful. The 25 minutes or so covered (with a cast iron lid) cooking time makes the meat so tender ...probably is soaking up the frying grease during that time! Also, cast iron cookware gets super hot and disperses the heat well throughout the frying process. It's better than KFC!

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/8717/deep-south-fried-chicken/

Last edited:
My mother made the best vegetable beef soup. It was to die for. I've made it myself, but it isn't quite the same. I think the missing ingredient was the love she put into it. She also made green tomato pickles I loved, but I've never been able to make them come out quite right.

My grandmother's food was always very heavy and greasy -- even her cakes were greasy. She used a lot of lard in everything. I didn't like it all, even when I was little.

My mother made a very good meatloaf that was topped with ketchup and bacon along with many other dishes that I enjoyed.

Back