National Book Lovers Day - August 9th

We need to practice "Shelf Control"!
66065252-ce11-4e98-9036-0f340f5d7097.jpg

@Meanderer Looking at photo you posted. i loved those old books with embossed cover designs. My first book of Poetry (Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses) had such a cover. It was destroyed in house fire when i was 8 with most everything we owned. When i stumbled across a copy with similar cover, i had to get it even tho there was a little damage to the cover.

i learned at age 4 and fell in love, i was voracious reader until my corneal dystrophy got really bad, but now that's fixed and i'm getting back into the habit. When i was small my Dad built a shelf over of door of books i wasn't to read because 'Guadacanal Diary' had given me nightmares. Not even my oldest sister's Crypt Keeper Comics had done that. i was 6.

To this day i am always more disturbed by humans behaving cruelly than anything else.

i learned at age 4 and fell in love, i was voracious reader until my corneal dystrophy got really bad, but now that's fixed and i'm getting back into the habit. When i was small my Dad built a shelf over of door of books i wasn't to read because 'Guadacanal Diary' had given me nightmares. Not even my oldest sister's Crypt Keeper Comics had done that. i was 6.

So, how was 'Guadalcanal Diary' transmitted to you? Surly you did not read it at such a young age?

I learned to read before I started school, and my grandma took me to the library. We moved too far for that library, but she took me to the new library. I have loved reading all my life! Then I found out I learned to read with phonics, my classmates were learning the 'look, say' method no wonder none of my friends liked to read. I remember finding Dick and Jane so boring!

Actually i did. i was country kid. No TV, at night older sisters did homework and read. Dad taught me at age 4, by 5 i stopped asking him what words new to me meant because he'd get the dictionary, i'd look it up and have to tell him what it meant in my own words not just quoting the dictionary before i could back to my reading. It just seemed logical to cut out his participation so i could get back to my book.

i actually had forgotten about reading it and the nightmare, when Mom and i were watching the movie on TV when i was 11 or 12. i kept saying things like 'that guy won't make it', and this all seems so familiar. My Mom told me, 'It should you read at about 6 yrs old, it gave you nightmares and that's why your Dad built your 'Do not read' shelf. If they weren't divorce and i had no contact with him again till i was 19, i would have asked him to confirm her report. When we reconnected i had other priorities.

From 6-9 i often helped one of my sisters study for tests and sometimes got interested in the things like Shakespeare's plays when she was studying them and would read them. i don't have a 100% eidetic memory but a child one or two readings and something was 'mine'. Dad also taught me the 4 basic math functions before i entered first grade (No K-classes in Florida at the time.)

******Weird, this was response to question but it disappeared from both thread and where i quoted it. (Sigh)*****

Last edited:
I learned to read before I started school, and my grandma took me to the library. We moved too far for that library, but she took me to the new library. I have loved reading all my life! Then I found out I learned to read with phonics, my classmates were learning the 'look, say' method no wonder none of my friends liked to read. I remember finding Dick and Jane so boring!
Don't get me started on the D & J books, first grade teacher and i had battle royal over them and i freaked her out seriously. Long story i'll spare y'all for now. Thankfully 2nd grade teacher had a 'reading circle' for the 3-4 of us that were 'advanced' where she kept above grade level books. (this was in early 50s before all the programs for kids at all different learning levels).

Dick and Jane were neat, but read it the first day; then had to go through reading class while the other struggled through it.

At home, i tried to read a short story in a western book of short stories, it had a picture of a rearing black horse and a couple entwined.
The illustration was a come-on, it was a story of the fella and girl, 'liking each other' ;) which I had no interest in and only a few sentences about
the horse. The story was a romance story-i think. I had no idea why the fella and the gal dominated the story-weren't folks interested in the
rearing black stallion:unsure:. I did not understand the story, it was too hard to read

Ha! turned me against romance at a early age, it did.

Back