National Vietnam War Veterans Day

PamfromTx

SF VIP
March 29, 2021 is our National Vietnam War Veterans Day which recognizes our veterans who served in the US military during the Vietnam War. Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

WE SALUTE YOU! To those who served, we say thank you, and welcome home.
❤️
🇺🇸

166255410_3818294001599144_8215043480041377652_n[1].jpg

166719354_3818095714952306_132200614092256863_n[1].jpg

7e18e5394095a3d640d9bcc84e9e282e[1].jpg

Last edited:
A lot of young men and women died serving in Vietnam and many more returned home injured and/or traumatised. Sadly many were badly treated by their fellow countrymen. Nobody, irrespective of race, creed or color who has been sent to fight in any conflict in a foreign country deserves to be looked upon in that way. They all deserve our respect and thanks.

I've visited the Vietnam War Memorial and Tomb Of the Unknown Soldier in Washington as well as many war cemeteries in Europe including the one above Omaha Beach and I've always been deeply moved and humbled.

I, even though was young during the Vietnam War will forever be grateful for their service. I've read alot about this war and it saddens me to read how the Veterans were treated and continue to be treated. God bless them all.

I can remember when we'd hear about our local boys (yes, they were boys to us) were killed. Our little town still mourns their tragic deaths.

I was sure glad that I was in the USAF, instead of the Army or Marines. All I did was fix broken F-105's...almost like a regular 8 to 5 job. I spent 1967 in Thailand, and saw dozens of aircraft come back with major damage.....and there were several which Didn't make it back. Many of us were disgusted at the "games" being played by the politicians instead of them trying to end this conflict. We had the means on base....non-nuclear....for several weeks that would have changed things drastically, but they were eventually packed up and shipped back to the States. That's when we knew that the thousands of lives lost, and thousands more who would carry their nightmares with them forever...was all in vain.

I was sure glad that I was in the USAF, instead of the Army or Marines. All I did was fix broken F-105's...almost like a regular 8 to 5 job. I spent 1967 in Thailand, and saw dozens of aircraft come back with major damage.....and there were several which Didn't make it back. Many of us were disgusted at the "games" being played by the politicians instead of them trying to end this conflict. We had the means on base....non-nuclear....for several weeks that would have changed things drastically, but they were eventually packed up and shipped back to the States. That's when we knew that the thousands of lives lost, and thousands more who would carry their nightmares with them forever...was all in vain.
You and my uncle may have been together in Thailand... for all we know, @Don M.

Last edited:
It was not in vain, IMO, and it’s an insult to say so. Those who went and fought, those who died in those jungles, all those who served in that era, including yourself and myself, answered the call of their country, and served with pride and honor.

That service was not in vain, it stands as a shinning example for generations to come that good men and women will always answer the call no to duty, no matter what political games are played by lesser men and woman.

I remember when we were stationed at Camp Pendleton and the Vietnamese were evacuated from Vietnam and placed down below where our housing was. I remember how the MP’s were stationed all around that area so our husbands, who fought so hard in that war that was not a war, would not have access to walk down there, and kill them all.

I remember when I got orders to go to Vietnam when I was 19, and stupid, and gun ho. I remember my disappointment when those orders were canceled. Woman had to be 21 to serve in a war zone. I remember being ordered NOT to wear my uniform into town.

I remember when my husband, a combat vet in Vietnam, and I were asleep in bed when the freedom train went by and blew its whistle to announce its arrival. It was 2am. My husband jumped straight up, came back down, rolled out of bed, and under it.

WOW, he was a big guy even then, had no ideal he could fit. I rolled to the end of the bed, looked under it, and asked “what are you doing?”. He replied “air raid siren”, hmm, nope “freedom train whistle”. In those days it was funny. As time went by, such actions became less and less funny.

I remember about 2 years ago when a young grocery store bagger came up to my husband, shook his hand, thanked him for his service, and apologized for the way his parents treated returning service men from Vietnam. Awesome!

I remember the pain and agony of all the vets I met over the years and all the vets that didn’t come back. I remember.

But I’d rather not. 😢

Far too many have been lost in far too many wars through the years. There's part of a poem that's used at remembrance services in England. It's from a poem called For the Fallen and was written at the time of WWI but it's still relevant today:

They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old,
Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

Very often a service is ended with the words

When you go home, tell them of us and say
For your tomorrow, we gave our today.

Just about says it all doesn't it?

Last edited:
My wife told me yesterday, I had forgotten that I had previously heard of VN vets day, maybe last year. It is very kind of you all to acknowledge the service of the Vietnam veteran, I for one am appreciative. And for those who spent their tours in Thailand or Guam or aboard a vessel in the South China Sea- your contribution to the effort was just as valuable.

We did not 'lose' the war, and no one's sacrifice was in vain, we did the job that our country sent us to do.

My wife told me yesterday, I had forgotten that I had previously heard of VN vets day, maybe last year. It is very kind of you all to acknowledge the service of the Vietnam veteran, I for one am appreciative. And for those who spent their tours in Thailand or Guam or aboard a vessel in the South China Sea- your contribution to the effort was just as valuable.

We did not 'lose' the war, and no one's sacrifice was in vain, we did the job that our country sent us to do.
Beautifully said, @Nathan .

I, even though was young during the Vietnam War will forever be grateful for their service. I've read alot about this war and it saddens me to read how the Veterans were treated and continue to be treated. God bless them all.

I can remember when we'd hear about our local boys (yes, they were boys to us) were killed. Our little town still mourns their tragic deaths.
Someone from my hometown posted a copy of a pic in FB with all of our deceased Vietnam heros. I had forgotten a couple of them.

I was in the navy. both blue water and brown water. in the tonkin gulf on sar station three times and after reinlisting went incountry in the mekong delta and then on guam when it came to an end. the subject raises so many different emotions it is difficult to make a decent conversation one way or the other. so rather than raise the hackles on my neck over something that happened 50 years ago I will just leave it as it is. oh and thanks to you that were grateful for our service. not everyone was.

The most moving experience, I have ever had, was touring the Collections Of The Vietnam Memorial Items, in DC. It is a display of what people left at the Memorial. Some of the items........... words don't do justice. After you go through the collection, you come out into a courtyard. Everybody, who comes out, finds a place on the wall to hold onto, and sob. It's not only tears, but sobbing aloud, the emotions are is so intense.

Back