navy subs

I can only speak for the old diesel boats. But, I expect it's not much different on the nukes.
It was a little crowded, about 80 guys in a boat about 300 ft. long and 14 across. But, you get used to it. They are well air conditioned so it's never stuffy. I never felt claustrophobic.
The food was excellent. The officers and crew ate the same food. The officers had a small pantry for snacks, and ate in the wardroom. There were stewards to cater to them.
When just transiting, anybody could visit the bridge for a little sunshine.

Don

I read somewhere that the food on submarines is a lot better than the food on other ships. Is that true?

Anyone ever watch the movie das Boat? The adventures of a German sub and it’s story of what the men endured. It definitely holds your attention.
It's a good movie. The sub depicted in it was much smaller than U.S. subs like the one I served on, just 220 ft. long vs. ours at 310 ft. It was very tight quarters.

Don

Anyone ever fall off while at sea? I know subs are fairly narrow and probably not a place to be on a windy day.

Anyone ever fall off while at sea? I know subs are fairly narrow and probably not a place to be on a windy day.
I'm sure it must have happened. Our boat had a steel rail in the deck. You can see it in this photo.

There were safety harnesses that clipped onto this rail so men could go topside in rough weather. The large thing on the right is a rescue buoy. There was a steel cable attached to it and it could be reeled out to aid rescuers. Notice it is held down with welded steel straps. They did this when we deployed to the far east to prevent accidental release. They also painted over the numbers on our sail.

Don

Interesting chatter about submarines. My husband served 12 years in the USN. He was mostly out of Groton, on Fast Attack Los Angeles class. We spent a few years overseas in Holy Loch then back to Groton for some time on Boomers before he got out. What irritates me is that he was in the service BETWEEN "wars" so doesn't "qualify" for any military benefits. There are a few retailers that acknowledge military service, regardless (Thank you, Lowes) but unless we were at war, the guys are ignored! Have to say, they were just as ready to step up and fight but were fortunate enough to be serving during a time of peace!!
Same here, hubby served on Boomers; USSB John C. Calhoun and USSB Von Steuben, from 1978 to 1999. He bravely fought "the Cold War" but no accolades. He joined when there was still a Vietnam War backslash, service members were not allowed to wear their uniforms off base. He cried the first time someone thanked him for his service in 2010. Lowes is good about recognizing service, Home Depot was also but just changed their policy and only recognize on military holidays.

Do these men really care about getting discounts? I thought most places that recognize veterans and gave a discount do so as long as you show them your DD214. I would have gladly given up my discounts if I could have served during peacetime. I seen some good men get killed. All service and former service members get a lot of freebies come Veterans Day, if they want to run around to all the restaurants, ice cream and donut shops. That's not for me.

I always wondered what it is like living in a sub.
What keeps you busy?

Back in the 60's while in the Navy my brother was on a Nuclear sub. I remember during some shore leave, they had a family event, where families of the sailors could come out to visit. One of the things we got to tour the sub. I was only 12 years old, but I remember it being very narrow. We could not tour the whole sub, for safety and security reasons. But we got to visit the sleeping quarters, and mess hall. Had lunch there. My mom was totally beside herself when she saw the missles stowed under the bunks.
I remember he said that there were always things to do. He was some sort of machinist, working on the upkeep of the place. Down time was often spent on maintanence or trainings.

Do these men really care about getting discounts? I thought most places that recognize veterans and gave a discount do so as long as you show them your DD214. I would have gladly given up my discounts if I could have served during peacetime. I seen some good men get killed. All service and former service members get a lot of freebies come Veterans Day, if they want to run around to all the restaurants, ice cream and donut shops. That's not for me.

No, it is NOT just about discounts but because these guys served during a time of peace, they pretty much get NO benefits. If you served during a time of declared war or conflict many states offer tax considerations, health benefits, and a number of other opportunities that we are denied. My husband was just as ready to go to war as anyone else but was fortunate enough to have missed it. That said, it would have been nice to have had a helping hand along the way as some others got.

This month marks a couple of anniversaries of terrible tragedies aboard two navy submarines.
http://ussnautilus.org/blog/the-loss-of-uss-thresher
https://www.deafwhale.com/uss-scorpion

I've recently been doing a lot of reading on the Thresher and the Scorpion.

Looks to me like it was shoddy workmanship and crappy parts that caused the Thresher to go down?

Do you have any opinions on what actually happened aboard the Scorpion? I've read all kinds of speculation about what actually precipitated her sinking, but evidently nobody really knows.

There are a handful of German clips on Military Channel-less than three, for a minute or so, of being depth charged; seems terrorizing to me.
The swabies on Nuke Subs that laid of coast of Russia, during Cold War and continues today requires a special breed; I couldn't do it.

Oldman -- It seems curious to me that being under water is scary to many, but being tens of thousands of feet up in an aluminum tube going close to the speed of sound doesn't bother them.

I served on a diesel boat, but I wouldn't want to serve on a nuke. They go too deep and stay out too long.

Don
never figured it that way, just another reason to stay on the ground.

I served on a Destroyer Tender but every so often a diesel boat would pull alongside for repair. Submarines are always called boats. They were small, and they did smell a bit but a Submarine crew was the tightest bunch of swabbies I ever encountered. They loved being on our tender, lots of food, plenty of hot water, and generous berthing spaces. When tender avail was over, we usually sent them off with gallons of ice cream and cases of Coke.

Llynn -- You're right about the smell, diesel fuel and hydraulic fluid. But, after a short time you don't even notice it. I saved some of my dungarees in a bunk bag when I got out. Ten years later, I could open that bag and smell the boat.

There are pictures from my Westpac cruise here if anyone is interested.

Don

The first thing to happen after the mooring lines were strung was every hatch on the boat flying open, and staying open during the entire tender avail. We tender sailors really liked the submariners. We liked the tin can sailors too but our shipmates from the boats were special. The guys on subs seemed to really appreciate what we did for them.

Llynn -- I got to visit your state thanks to the Navy. When we came out of overhaul we sailed to an inlet near Seattle for fire control alignment. Being from So Cal, I couldn't believe how thick the trees were. Beautiful country. Great clam chowder. Drank lots of Olys.

Don

The first thing to happen after the mooring lines were strung was every hatch on the boat flying open, and staying open during the entire tender avail. We tender sailors really liked the submariners. We liked the tin can sailors too but our shipmates from the boats were special. The guys on subs seemed to really appreciate what we did for them.
[/QUOTE]
Once I have time, will go back and read a major portion of sub articles. It is far,
far beyond me. The man said 'go down to the sea in ships....' he did not say,
swim like a fishie.
Viewed a nuke sub crew, much roomer that you guys had,
not roomy enough. Takes a certain group of men to go underneath

Back