Nebraska ‘Karen’ deliberately coughing at shoppers gets fired from job

Janene Hoskovec, dubbed ‘Coughing Karen’ now has to find a new gig after her antics at a grocery store went viral

Janine Hoskovec, of Arizona, is now out of a job after she was filmed coughing on a mother and daughter who were shopping at a Super Saver grocery store in Lincoln, Nebraska.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nebraska-karen-deliberately-coughing-shoppers-203000914.html

I don't think deliberately coughing on people is just a "Firing Offense."
I think it's a "Punch in the Face" offense.
Win, I'm impressed by your restraint. THIS IS NOT SARCASM.

I can only fault the store for not having called the police based on a customer complaint, and have her removed from the store. Since she was an unruly customer creating a disturbance.

When I first read the post about this, I wondered how anyone could tell that the coughing was deliberate. But after seeing the video, nobody could have any doubt. Seeing the arrogant smirk on her face, and hearing her say in a mocking voice, "It's my allergies. I have allergies," with a big stupid grin on her face, and the fact that she was following these customers around.... no doubt possible. I wonder if she could be arrested for assault.

However, that's not what the word "Karen" means. As the mother of a daughter named Karen, I object anyway to the use of a person's name as an insult. And I'd think it was mean and childish even if I didn't have a daughter by that name. (It was a very common name the year she was born, so there are lots of people being insulted.) My Karen doesn't pay any attention to it, she just brushes it off, but I find it offensive.

Anyway, from my understanding of this mean-spirited insult, the name means a woman from the White, upper-middle class, who considers herself above ordinary courtesy, entitled to special trreatment, etc. There are other words for people like that, one in particular beginning with B----.

But Karen? This sales clerk was not being a Karen, she was beyond that. IMO, she was being a criminal.

As the mother of a daughter named Karen, I object anyway to the use of a person's name as an insult. And I'd think it was mean and childish even if I didn't have a daughter by that name. (It was a very common name the year she was born, so there are lots of people being insulted.) My Karen doesn't pay any attention to it, she just brushes it off, but I find it offensive.

I completely agree. Insulting people just because of a name makes no sense and is ignorant.

What's really weird, however, is that coughing in public now appears to be illegal, a threat against humanity, and people can't wait to jump on the bandwagon and to attack anyone who dares to do such a thing. So what if she was laughing and smiling? What if she wasn't laughing, but was choking and fell on the floor. Would you all then still feel the same way?

The woman, who was a shopper and didn't work there by the way, was simply coughing and not attacking anyone. Yet people want to attack her, hit her, shoot her, strangle her, see her fired from her real job, and on and on. People are just looking for excuses to attack other people, instead of going after the demons who started and keep pushing this whole mess.

Last edited:
Ridiculous. Deliberately coughing in someone's face is not adult behavior, having nothing to do with Covid. Young children know to cover their mouths coughing in public. The woman is an A hole, and you know it.

John, do You deliberately cough in someone's face and follow that person, coughing? As I said, forget the Covid aspect. Well, do you? I doubt it.

However, that's not what the word "Karen" means. As the mother of a daughter named Karen, I object anyway to the use of a person's name as an insult. And I'd think it was mean and childish even if I didn't have a daughter by that name. (It was a very common name the year she was born, so there are lots of people being insulted.) My Karen doesn't pay any attention to it, she just brushes it off, but I find it offensive.

Anyway, from my understanding of this mean-spirited insult, the name means a woman from the White, upper-middle class, who considers herself above ordinary courtesy, entitled to special trreatment, etc. There are other words for people like that, one in particular beginning with B----.

But Karen? This sales clerk was not being a Karen, she was beyond that. IMO, she was being a criminal.
Well, the word "Karen" , used as an insult, is here to stay. Must be used on YouTube thousands of times.

I completely agree. Insulting people just because of a name makes no sense and is ignorant.

What's really weird, however, is that coughing in public now appears to be illegal, a threat against humanity, and people can't wait too jump on the bandwagon and to attack anyone who dares to do such a thing. So what if she was laughing and smiling? What if she wasn't laughing, but was choking and fell on the floor. Would you all then still feel the same way?

The woman, who was a shopper and didn't work there by the way, was simply coughing and not attacking anyone. Yet people want to attack her, hit her, shoot her, strangle her, see her fired from her real job, and on and on. People are just looking for excuses to attack other people, instead of going after the demons who started and keep pushing this whole mess.
Aw, c'mon. There's a big difference between coughing in public with decent manners & consideration & deliberately coughing on people.

I also object to the use of a wonderful name like Karen to describe a jerk. And I don't even know anybody named Karen. But, I wish I did.

I couldn't open the video, but I can imagine it and I
think that besides being ignorant, obnoxious and
threatening, she must also be STUPID, Americans
carry guns and that sounds like a "Self Defence"
situation.

On YouTube some men are also referred to as "Karen".
I have always thought that it was a wrong name for
big headed idiots.

Mike.

Back