Neighborhood Barbershop

President Johnson attends grandson Patrick Lyndon Nugent's first haircut in 1968
ww0-barber-1968.jpg

^ Love that song!

I didn't mind going to a hair stylist, as long as she was a female. I dated a few of them.
A haircut is very relaxing in the first place. An attractive woman rubbing up against you is just icing on the cake.

A female styling men's hair in days gone by??? Yeah, I believe that if you're talking about a few days gone by, like 2010 or so. Sheesh.

....time for a virtual haircut!
When health problems keep them from making it to the barber shop, he brings the barber shop to them.

1940's and 50's Barbershops, were a male domain.
The arrival of a female with young children to get haircuts
made the patrons uncomfortable.

Adults, after and before, they had their hair cut, would discuss
sports, politics and lie.
I did not understand, why the adults, after they had received their haircuts stayed in Barbershop?
Why didn't they go home?

I did not understand, why the adults, after they had received their haircuts stayed in Barbershop?
Why didn't they go home?
Because it was an early form of the "chat-room"..... with sharp instruments!✂💈

Why didn't they go home?
The same reason women like beauty parlors. Gotta hang with your own-gender peeps.

When I was a kid, my father cut our hair. I had 3 brothers and 2 sisters. I don't think he cut the girls' hair.

I still recall the chair we sat on.

Antique-Childs-Roll-Top-Desk-and-Swivel-Chair-_1.jpg

It had the threaded shaft so you spin in to raise/lower. I don't know why he would bother with the adjustments...it took less than a minute to shave us clean.

Back