new here

Status
Not open for further replies.
it is always nice to hear a success story where the ending resulted in happiness

Thanks. It meant being willing to take big risks with no guarantee that any of it would work out. There is the potential problem of public transportation if we become unable to drive. One step at a time, all the while making sure one does not stub the toes. It's so peaceful here. Beautiful.

yep , we took a pretty big risk buying in to a partnership in nyc real estate that cost us a ton of money . i was gambling that the rent stabilized tenants in a prestigious co-op over looking central park would accept lease buy out offers being they were approaching retirement age enabling us to sell these apartments .

i reasoned that many could not afford to live in that area on central park south once the pay checks stopped .

i was correct and over the last 15 years 7 out of 9 tenants sold out to us and we sold the apartments which enabled us to have a pretty good retirement now .

The fact that you are now able to live the life you want to live in your retirement is outstanding. With so many people of this age, circumstances of all sorts have left them in difficult situations.

most people really have no plan . they basically drift like a cork in water and just end up where life pulls them . it rarely pulls you to where you want to be , not financially any way .

those who take control and make things happen tend to do much better .

i always say those who want to be successful will find a way , the others will just find an excuse

Some people are lambasted by circumstances which break them entirely. I know a number of them. It is unfair for me to judge, because I don't know what it feels like on the inside to be them. I do know my choices, and how many of them scared the crud out of me. I have known deep heartache arising from severe tragedies of many kinds. I have and am in the process of overcoming them. I defied all kinds of things I was taught as a kid, to end up where I am. But some people just can't seem to do that, and for them I have compassion. For them I try to reach up and learn the meaning of kindness, and apply it as I can. Nothing else means a thing. This I learned during moments of satori, as I strove to overcome the tragedies the murders my brother committed brought to me, my family and the families of those he killed.

Yes, it's been hell. I was just about to release a book on it when he died in prison earlier this month. So I'm rewriting the end of the book. It will be coming out on Smashwords. I released the story years ago, but by the time the agent and the publisher were done with it, the story had been damaged. This time, no one will have the chance to take out the things that are important. Truth in a true story is primary.

Here's a link to the story about it on my website: http://www.whereartmeetstheheart.com/mybrother.shtml

Thank you for your response. If all goes well, I should have the book finished and into Smashword within a month. I'll have to see if I've followed all their instructions adequately. If I have problems my husband is a computer nerd who designed software for a living, so he should be able to help. If not, the people there are very willing to help. They only make money if the books sell. They suggest that I do some kind of thing with pre-orders. I will figure out how to do that and make a Facebook page and a Twitter page, although I hate the idea of using social media. Big sites are so vulnerable to hacking, and they make money on the site by selling our info to others. But....

Anyway, I'm struggling now to get beyond my grief and multi-layered pain and finish the book. He died on July 6th. I had to handle all kinds of things I did not expect to handle. His children were estranged from him. They still are from me, although at one time they were not. The experience broke them entirely. I became a writer and moved to the country as a direct result of the murders. Nothing else meant anything after that.

Hi mathjak- welcome and I am sure you will enjoy the group. Your use of lowercase fonts actually is typical of all the young people I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back