New hot spots

I think that people are willing to comply with shelter at home orders for only so long. And then they are not. They told us one month. Then six weeks. They keep moving the goal post. Not yet. Another week. Or two. Or...? People are going stir crazy. Me included. I still don't know a single person affected by the virus. Lucky? You bet. Hot spots? The hot spots here are nursing homes, sadly. But not unexpectedly.

Here in New York, they are discussing the removal of nursing home related deaths from the statistics going forward because they are a unique relatively isolated population that tends to skew the numbers for the general public.

I think that as we restart the economy it will be natural to see some sort of spike.

IMO that makes it doubly important that we continue to adhere to the basic guidelines of wearing masks, social distancing, limiting our shopping and other human contacts where possible.

Do what you need to do but please be smart about it.

I also think that "they" (the media? the local government? the gatherers of statistics?) may be playing fast and loose with the numbers. If a man gets run over by a truck and he is tested positive for Covid19, and then later dies, what do you suppose the cause of death will be? Yeah, I'm that cynical.

I think that people are willing to comply with shelter at home orders for only so long. And then they are not. They told us one month. Then six weeks. They keep moving the goal post. Not yet. Another week. Or two. Or...? People are going stir crazy. Me included. I still don't know a single person affected by the virus. Lucky? You bet. Hot spots? The hot spots here are nursing homes, sadly. But not unexpectedly.

I've been thinking the same thing as time goes by .... and I live around a much of "old people", in senior apartments.
No one seems to know of anyone affected by Covid-19.

I guess the numbers don't lie, but it is somewhat puzzling living through this 'twilight zone' period.

FL, CA, and AL have prematurely reopened, it seems. Why am I not surprised?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/newly-re...s-emerging-coronavirus-hotspot-223903143.html

From reading the comments, it sounds like the article is misleading to say the least. The comments suggest that the counties named in the article weren't even part of the re-opening of florida so any increases in cases don't have to do with the re-opening. That's IF the comments are correct, but more than one person mentioned it.

Here's one:
This article is insane. Palm Beach County along with Broward and Miami Dade we’re EXCLUDED from the states re-opening. We are just now cleared to re-open Phase one (and our beaches will remain closed in these three counties) this week. SO that means cases are increasing in a locked down county. Or wait ... is it because one hospital finally got caught up and submitted all their positive results on that day. How do I know? Because I live here and De Santis explained that to his residents. The following days have returned all to the steady rate they have been at.

Here's another: Dade broward and palm beach were not under Florida’s day one re opening. Does anyone do any research???

And:
Rickyyesterday
South Florida: Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade, have NOT been reopened yet. This is typical Yahoo misinformation.

Here in New York, they are discussing the removal of nursing home related deaths from the statistics going forward because they are a unique relatively isolated population that tends to skew the numbers for the general public.

I think that as we restart the economy it will be natural to see some sort of spike.

IMO that makes it doubly important that we continue to adhere to the basic guidelines of wearing masks, social distancing, limiting our shopping and other human contacts where possible.

Do what you need to do but please be smart about it.
You are the voice of wisdom and I appreciate your thoughtful posts.

We were expecting many positive new cases because of the very recently ramped up testing. I'm not concerned with the number of new cases. The numbers we should be closely monitoring are hospitalizations and deaths. Those will speak the truth of how deadly this virus is in Florida. Should they go up, then our smart Governor will take action.

Garyt is right, these southern counties just got the OK to slowly reopen a few days ago.

I still don't know a single person affected by the virus.

I do, Carol, and this may shed a light on why you think you don't know anyone affected by the virus. Until this became big news, many younger people probably had it, thought they had the flu, or "some bug," and brushed it off. (And continued to spread it to other people, of course.)

Some of my children and grandkids were on a trip to Hawaii in February. I didn't go, as the flight just seemed too long. My daughter told me afterward that she thinks she and her daughter both had it. They had many of the symptoms, including a sore throat, a fever, and loss of the sense of smell. Of course, in Feb. nobody knew anything about Covid-19. (Hard to believe, but true!)

So, it seems just good common sense to assume that many younger and middle aged people did have it, but either knew nothing about it, or didn't bother going to the doctor, as they weren't that sick.

About the skewed results from the nursing homes, I agree with that, up to a point. There are obviously many more deaths from the nursing homes. But that doesn't mean the disease is that inoccuous for the general population. There are also reported deaths in surprisingly young people, including a number of children.

I do, Carol, and this may shed a light on why you think you don't know anyone affected by the virus. Until this became big news, many younger people probably had it, thought they had the flu, or "some bug," and brushed it off. (And continued to spread it to other people, of course.)

Some of my children and grandkids were on a trip to Hawaii in February. I didn't go, as the flight just seemed too long. My daughter told me afterward that she thinks she and her daughter both had it. They had many of the symptoms, including a sore throat, a fever, and loss of the sense of smell. Of course, in Feb. nobody knew anything about Covid-19. (Hard to believe, but true!)

So, it seems just good common sense to assume that many younger and middle aged people did have it, but either knew nothing about it, or didn't bother going to the doctor, as they weren't that sick.

About the skewed results from the nursing homes, I agree with that, up to a point. There are obviously many more deaths from the nursing homes. But that doesn't mean the disease is that inoccuous for the general population. There are also reported deaths in surprisingly young people, including a number of children.
In Ohio, our numbers also jumped when the virus infected the prison system. Any confined living space is a potential hotbed, just like on the submarines. Precautions were put in place, but it still got in and spread quickly.

Back