New Rules Could Take Bacon Off the Table in California

California will replace the real pork bacon with marijuana bacon. If they are so concerned with the civil rights of pigs and chickens why are they just now acting on it?

Today ,there is a disconnection between animals, and what's on our dinner plates. We tend not to think where bacon comes from. When we were all farmers, we didn't have that disconnection. Maybe it's guilt, or compassion, but the condition of our live stock has become important to us. I don't know if a free range chicken is happier, or just juicier. Yet, if the buying public wants "happier", chicken and pork, only a going bankrupt farmer won't supply it.

Today ,there is a disconnection between animals, and what's on our dinner plates. We tend not to think where bacon comes from. When we were all farmers, we didn't have that disconnection. Maybe it's guilt, or compassion, but the condition of our live stock has become important to us. I don't know if a free range chicken is happier, or just juicier. Yet, if the buying public wants "happier", chicken and pork, only a going bankrupt farmer won't supply it.
Very true Fuzzybuddy. All our food would then come from China or some other foreign country that we won't know if it's really pork or whatever.

Voters approved an animal welfare measure that pork producers aren't ready for.

https://www.newser.com/story/309263/animal-welfare-vote-may-take-bacon-off-californias-tables.html
I was going to call "Hogwash" as I'm a California resident and didn't recall any such measure, but googling-for-answers did refresh my memory, it was Proposition 12 passed in the 2018 election. Of course the usual industry groups are going to scream about any measure that changes the rules, even if it means safer food. They are:
Association of California Egg Farmers
National Association of Egg Farmers
American Veal Association
California Pork Producers Association

Prop 12 was endorsed by the Center for Food Safety because research indicates that caging farm animals increases the spread of food-borne pathogens like Salmonella.

I don't really care personally, there's not going to be a noticeable impact on price, which itself doesn't concern me, as I only rarely buy pork products anyway.

We been killing hogs, chickens and cows a long time.
Sinclair wrote 'The Jungle' close to100 years ago-really changed our eating habits, huh?
'Slaughterhouse' is a more recent book on killing-stop the killings, but don't interfere with my bacon, steak or chicken legs.

Way back in the Moby Dick days, someone observed-If a whale could make verbal noises when harpooned, no one could stand it.

(Hypocrites, like me, line up on the right.)

Why are they called "Slaughter Houses"?
Their surgeons are only required to have no emotional problems with killing-wonder if Hannibal Lector got his start
in a Slaughterhouse?

Save the whales, sardines well there little bitty fishes, no one will stand for them.
Humans?
Well, we don't kill humans as an organized sport, but on a few occasions it gets out of hand: See Vonnegut's 'Slaughterhouse-Five.'

Last edited:
My father became a vegetarian after going through a slaughterhouse as a young man. Sadly, he didn’t stop my mother from forcing-feeding things like liver to me as a young boy. “You’ll eat that before you get anything else!,” she’d say as I gagged and choked on it while crying as she only became madder at me. Memories of that abuse have been with me throughout my life...

Animal in the wild gets eaten alive. At least we humanely kill the animals we eat.
Wrong! I've seen first hand how they hang live chickens upside down by their legs moving them along on conveyor belts. It's torture. How about the lives they live until they are killed? Veal—baby cows in tiny pens so their meat stays tender, etc. Chickens in cramped cages so we can have eggs. Chicken bred with overlarge breasts that can barely stand up so we can have lots of white meat. It's endless and it's horrible. Factory farming is torture for the animals.

Wrong! I've seen first hand how they hang live chickens upside down by their legs moving them along on conveyor belts. It's torture. How about the lives they live until they are killed? Veal—baby cows in tiny pens so their meat stays tender, etc. Chickens in cramped cages so we can have eggs. Chicken bred with overlarge breasts that can barely stand up so we can have lots of white meat. It's endless and it's horrible. Factory farming is torture for the animals.
A few years ago, I was at an orthodox wedding. After the ceremony, we were having dinner & someone brought up the subject of "Kosher Slaughter of Food Animals" & how it's more humane. He sure got angry at me when I gave him a lesson in B.S.:
Yeah, sure. "Whatever is part of MY religion is always better. Cuz MY God's better than yours."
(same warning - Remember, you can't unsee it)

Last edited:
If people knew the nastiness involved from the time the pig is killed and reaches their tables they wouldn't eat pork at all. The Bible warns against eating pork, the Quran warns us not to eat pork and I assume the Torah does too since Orthodox Jews don't eat it. Don't we think God knows what he's talking about? I saw a documentary in which people who lived near a pork processing plant couldn't even stand to come out of their homes the smell was so bad. Bacon is one of the processed meats that has been linked to cancer. The people in California should consider themselves fortunate if they are forced to eliminate bacon from their tables. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/bacon-cancer

Many's a morning, I got up early to trek across a field to the pig pen. They did not live crammed into a small building, but lived their lives outdoors. I fed them, checked for any problems, cleaned out any 'muck' and made sure they had clean straw. Then I went home and had my breakfast. At the end, I loaded them into a trailer and saw them off to the nearest abattoir. When I got a carcass back, I butchered it, packed the meat and froze it. Over time, I ate it.

As an atheist, 'god' doesn't enter into my food choices, but as far as possible, I only eat meat, fish, chicken etc... when I know where it came from and how it has been treated. I have no intention of changing my diet.

Many's a morning, I got up early to trek across a field to the pig pen. They did not live crammed into a small building, but lived their lives outdoors. I fed them, checked for any problems, cleaned out any 'muck' and made sure they had clean straw. Then I went home and had my breakfast. At the end, I loaded them into a trailer and saw them off to the nearest abattoir. When I got a carcass back, I butchered it, packed the meat and froze it. Over time, I ate it.

As an atheist, 'god' doesn't enter into my food choices, but as far as possible, I only eat meat, fish, chicken etc... when I know where it came from and how it has been treated. I have no intention of changing my diet.
Yes, the pigs you eat are well cared for.....Then they are sentenced to death & murdered.

Your beliefs and food choices are your business, of course. Making sure you know exactly where your food supply comes from is very wise. Personally, I think I might have a problem eating something I took care of (cared for..tended to) though. :D Good friend of mine had a pet pig and she does not live on a farm or in a rural area. He's gone now...R.I.P. Denzel.

Yes, the pigs you eat are well cared for.....Then they are sentenced to death & murdered.
You put that very bluntly. Presumably you feel the same about any animal that is raised for meat, whether it is cared for or has a miserable existence cooped up in a pen. Well, I'm an omnivore and I eat meat. I'm preparing pork ribs for dinner this evening. I got this particularly recipe from an American cook book.

I once bought an actual (not lied about) free range, organic chicken for $25. It did not taste any different than typical grocery store chicken. Plus I couldn't afford to shell out that kind of money. I was expecting it to be really great tasting, and I wanted to see if it was true.

Pigs are supposedly as smart as dogs so I don't cook pork. I eat it, mostly by accident. Like the grocery store frozen meatballs my daughter served last week, which were pork and beef. And tasted awful.

Here's an interesting article, which basically says whoa, pigs aren't the only animals who matter, and here's what we should do about it.:

Are Pigs as Smart as Dogs, and Does It Really Matter? (Op-Ed)​

https://www.livescience.com/39717-are-pigs-as-smart-as-dogs.html

Back