News, These are the best and worst states for retirement

LOL, you've got to be kidding me. I'm from NE. This is the first time I've ever seen it was the best place to retire. While NE has it's good points, I wouldn't recommend this as a place people move to to retire.

I guess it all depends on your point of view.

my states 24th, everything I read says to work as long as you can and retire later....I goofed up and retired 9 years ago and now at 67 am living happy ever after....

This was done by Bankrate, a financial corporation. How many of their executives do you think are retiring in the states they list as the top four:
Nebraska
Iowa
Missouri
South Dakota

My first requirement is that I must be able to look out the window and see palm trees. That disqualifies most of the list immediately.
Culture for us means time at the beach or out in a sailboat. No stadiums or other large facilities needed.

Years ago we were in Germany I think and we told some people we were having dinner with that "Texas was a separate country"...they nodded and confirmed that they knew that and loved Texas. Lets face it, Texas is noted for its independence, no matter how many out of
state folks move in. James Michener wrote about that of course, and loved Texas...he left his extensive art collection to the University of Texas at Austin.

All states in the US are unique, special and wonderful in their own way. Alaska and Hawaii are particularly unlike the other 48 in weather, topography, and mindset of natives and long time residents.

This study ranked Missouri at number 3.....primarily for "affordability". I've traveled to many states over the years, and I tend to agree that Missouri is a pretty good state for retirement. Cost of living and taxes are quite reasonable, and outside of a couple weeks of extreme weather in both the Summer and Winter, the rest of the year is quite tolerable. Crime is high...but Only in the major cities....especially St. Louis. While there is NO perfect place for everyone, we are quite satisfied with our retirement lives here.

Manatee...of course Texas was a "country"...lol. Lot of folks think it still is.

Back