Niagara Falls

It's fun to go to see the falls in the late winter or early spring when they are still coated with ice.

A couple of times over the years the falls actually stopped due to ice jams coming out of lake Erie. When it happened in the mid-1800s it caused a mild panic. People in Niagara Falls thought it was a sign that the end of the world was coming.

http://www.niagarafrontier.com/fall...exact time that Niagara,the day of March 30th.
Niagara_Falls_1911-91692a4232ee4da082811639ab3ec25b.jpg

One of the big jokes there is that tourists ask "What time do they turn off the falls at night?"

Not really too far off as they DO cut down the volume at times to divert water for irrigation.

And I believe one of the "side falls" is going to be diverted in order to do some shoring up at the bottom.

I can just imagine, a crowd of people enjoying the falls and it suddenly stops. Somebody yells "Hey! Anybody got a couple of quarters!". :)

Tony

We visited the falls in 1969, the American falls were shut off completely. They did it to explore whether they could stabilize the erosion that was causing the face to recede. It looked really strange. The Canadian side was business as usual. We rode the Maid of the Mist.

We lived in Niagara Falls, Ontario for several years. Never knew until then how many friends and relatives we had ;) A couple even brought a sister and niece over who were visiting from France.

Coincidentally, when my husband and I first met, we went into one of those photo booths .. it had a poster of Niagara Falls on it that shows behind us.

Last edited:
When I saw the title to your thread I thought you were talking about Abbott & Costello. Then, slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch and I realized you were not.
1st thing that came to my mind
the Stooges....

The other story is of a cross country tour travel bus with a bragging Texian on it...
Everywhere they went He would have something to say about Texas having Bigger Better or more of....
when they hit Niagara Falls a woman from NY says " got anything like that in Texas?"
He calmly replies...
" Nope.... But know a plumber that can fix that leak in about 10 minutes"

Back