"Not Open for Further Replies"

We're seniors. We shouldn't be acting like children, snitching, reporting and tattling on each other. Maybe being 'offensive' is a synonym for being a grown-up.

I truly apologize if this statement gives offense. Just think about it is all I ask. If you don't, I'll tell Mommy. ;)
Well, the bolded is certainly a revealing statement.....

p.s. Tell Mom I said hello.

Actually, I think this is the friendliest forum I've been on. There's good natured ribbing but nothing too nasty (that I've noticed). I've been in forums where they have decayed into nothing more than people being just plain mean, using the F-bomb all the time, and makes me think they really need professional help for anger issues. Another forum is populated pretty much by ladies, all very sanctimonious and smug, that try to make others feel guilty for having opposing views on anything. This forum is a breath of fresh air!

Actually, I think this is the friendliest forum I've been on. There's good natured ribbing but nothing too nasty (that I've noticed). I've been in forums where they have decayed into nothing more than people being just plain mean, using the F-bomb all the time, and makes me think they really need professional help for anger issues. Another forum is populated pretty much by ladies, all very sanctimonious and smug, that try to make others feel guilty for having opposing views on anything. This forum is a breath of fresh air!
Having been on internet forums since immediate post-DARPA days and having run one myself (built and owned a hobby web site for a number of years}, I can say this one's not too bad and has what seems to be a good balance of freedom of speech with adherence to the rules. It's not an easy job. You don't want to put up with crap but you don't want to drive people away or have them driven away.

Edit Note: I have to also say the mods are on the ball, which is good.

Last edited:
I wish you could ignore emojis as well. Some people I have on ignore creatively use emojis to mark their presence on things I say they disagree with.

Huh ...that's odd, but I guess since they can see your stuff, they can post a reaction. I've only put a people on ignore temporarily to declutter contentious threads a few times and didn't notice that.

Having been on internet forums since immediate post-DARPA days and having run one myself (built and owned a hobby web site for a number of years}, I can say this one's not too bad and has what seems to be a good balance of freedom of speech with adherence to the rules. It's not an easy job. You don't want to put up with crap but you don't want to drive people away or have them driven away.

Edit Note: I have to also say the mods are on the ball, which is good.
I remember when they allowed politics to be discussed here.

Not surprisingly, there were one or two members here who could find a way to shoehorn it into just about every thread and get arguments started.

That's why I left for a good couple of years or more.

Now that politics is disallowed, everything is peaceful and happy.

We're seniors. We shouldn't be acting like children, snitching, reporting and tattling on each other. Maybe being 'offensive' is a synonym for being a grown-up.

I truly apologize if this statement gives offense. Just think about it is all I ask. If you don't, I'll tell Mommy. ;)
The people who complain on forums are the same kids who ran to the teacher to tell on you in school, a nasty trait IMO.

We usually remove political or offensive replies first after they are reported, but if we have to do it again and again, we will lock such "high maintenance" threads. No reports, no moderation.
OK, so does this mean that if someone isn't happy with the way things are going, he or she can make enough noise, stink, complaints, aggravation, political comments, etc. to get you to shut the thread down? Sounds like a good way for someone or a group of like-minded folks to stop a thread going in a direction they don't like.

OK, so does this mean that if someone isn't happy with the way things are going, he or she can make enough noise, stink, complaints, aggravation, political comments, etc. to get you to shut the thread down? Sounds like a good way for someone or a group of like-minded folks to stop a thread going in a direction they don't like.
Well @JonDouglas looks like you found your silver bullet..

Back