"Not Open for Further Replies"

A big turn off on forums for me is when it gets argumentative and folks go at each other. Sure, I see a little of it here from time to time, but as adults we know enough to back off usually. I would like it to stay that way.
We've had some good, respectful debates on SF. Some people seem to be incapable of keeping their emotions out of debates though, which is when it gets ugly.

We're seniors. We shouldn't be acting like children, snitching, reporting and tattling on each other. Maybe being 'offensive' is a synonym for being a grown-up.

I truly apologize if this statement gives offense. Just think about it is all I ask. If you don't, I'll tell Mommy. ;)
Agreed. Adults should be able to handle differences of opinion or what could be considered "offensive comments" by this stage in life. There is also something called scrolling on. Something some seem unable to do.

There are a few people who I stay away from when I see their posts or threads. They have demeaned my character and called me unwarrented names. I don't believe in hitting "report". I just don't respond to them.
Hey Gaer! Anyone calling anyone names is pretty stupid and childess! I think it is ok to discuss or argue any issue but calling someone a name simply means, to me, that here is a pretty uneducated person. I see a lot of this kind of nonesense when people make comments on news stories. The educated people can add something of value to the story. The uneducated ones just call someone a name because they don't agree with them. I guess in the end, you have to ignore these "low lives."

Agreed. Adults should be able to handle differences of opinion or what could be considered "offensive comments" by this stage in life. There is also something called scrolling on. Something some seem unable to do.
Adults should also be able to engage in debate without insulting the other person or lying, but that's often not the case when it comes to political debates. For those who want to do that, they can go elsewhere. :)

I have never put anyone on here on ignore. Facebook is a different thing. I have used it once for a loud, foul mouth sister-in-law. Many times I have read something that ticks me off, but I just move on to the next subject.
Neither have I. I like to know what people are saying, even when when I dislike or don't believe what their saying. As for internet bullies, stalkers and trolls, they are the unfortunate crap that forum mods deal with.

This is my favorite forum now. I have been on many. SF has a really good feel to it. Respect, openness, love, caring, humor, fun, and especially we are sharing together the phase of our lives which is a quite different than when we were middle aged. It also has that commonality, and it is populated by very interesting and unique individuals. :)

This is my favorite forum now. I have been on many. SF has a really good feel to it. Respect, openness, love, caring, humor, fun, and especially we are sharing together the phase of our lives which is a quite different than when we were middle aged. It also has that commonality, and it is populated by very interesting and unique individuals. :)
Nicely said @Paco Dennis, focusing on sharing, commonality and unity makes for such a better experience here that the divisiveness that occasionally sneaks in.

Hey Gaer! Anyone calling anyone names is pretty stupid and childess! I think it is ok to discuss or argue any issue but calling someone a name simply means, to me, that here is a pretty uneducated person. I see a lot of this kind of nonesense when people make comments on news stories. The educated people can add something of value to the story. The uneducated ones just call someone a name because they don't agree with them. I guess in the end, you have to ignore these "low lives."
Case and point...

I totally agree Paco.

Closed threads are often the work of trolls or denizens of troll farms. Such critters often give themselves away in a variety of ways. Below are what I found over the years to be their characteristics.
  • Trolls tend to focus on a few particular people or discussions to respond to rather than engage in larger participation.
  • Trolls tend to criticize or attack the source of a story rather than the basics of a story.
  • Trolls try to insult, denigrate, belittle or otherwise diminish individuals on the opposite side of the their ideology or the ideas and thoughts they are paid to promote.
  • Trolls tend to make offensive and/or inconsiderate posts.
  • Trolls tend to not back down on a known fact or fallacy.
  • Trolls tend to lecture you rather than comment and/or ask questions
  • Trolls sometimes dox or threaten forum participants. (e.g., I was threatened with bodily harm on a motorcycle forum for suggesting the motorcycle manufacturer make bike's luggage bags removable. )
  • Trolls don't care if threads are closed or posts deleted and may take some satisfaction in it.
There are more but having knowlege of the above may help keep this forum the friendly and considerate place it is.

Closed threads are often the work of trolls or denizens of troll farms. Such critters often give themselves away in a variety of ways. Below are what I found over the years to be their characteristics.
  • Trolls tend to focus on a few particular people or discussions to respond to rather than engage in larger participation.
  • Trolls tend to criticize or attack the source of a story rather than the basics of a story.
  • Trolls try to insult, denigrate, belittle or otherwise diminish individuals on the opposite side of the their ideology or the ideas and thoughts they are paid to promote.
  • Trolls sometimes dox or threaten forum participants. (e.g., I was threatened with bodily harm on a motorcycle forum for suggesting the motorcycle manufacturer make bike's luggage bags removable. )
  • Trolls don't care if threads are closed or posts deleted and may take some satisfaction in it.
There are more but having knowlege of the above may help keep this forum the friendly and considerate place it is.
Yes, I and I put people who act like that on ignore for sure.

Having been on internet forums since immediate post-DARPA days and having run one myself (built and owned a hobby web site for a number of years}, I can say this one's not too bad and has what seems to be a good balance of freedom of speech with adherence to the rules. It's not an easy job. You don't want to put up with crap but you don't want to drive people away or have them driven away.

Edit Note: I have to also say the mods are on the ball, which is good.
A long time ago, I was part of a medical help forum and found it rather disturbing with so many 'broken and hurting' people...leaving me very sad thus unable to fully help so I gently bowed out. One thing I have learned over the years is that you cannot help everyone.

Agreed, all great examples. To add: trolls are adept at "turning the tables" in a conversation, often claiming to be the victim. Also, trolls become defensive(as well as offensive) if their questionable posting is challenged in any way. Subtle name calling is the hallmark of a typical forum troll.

Back