Notes from Pappy's diary

Good morning, Lois. I havn't been keeping up on my news very good. Scan is okay. A couple small nodules on left lung. Doctor will keep an eye on these and I'll have them checked each year.
Florida weather is so nice this time of year except for no rain in a long time. Several fires burning all over Florida and many main roads have to be shut down because of smoke.

Here is a bit I wrote one day while reminiscing.......

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]Sounds I remember as a child.....[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]When I lived on Gold St. In Norwich, I remember the milk man and the sound his horse and wagon made on the street surface. The milk man never had to touch the reins as the horse knew the route by heart and would stop at each house that had delivery.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I remember the O and W steam engine sounds that made. Wired, noisy but beautiful sounds to a young mans ears. The steel wheels spinning on the track trying to get traction. The release of air from the breaks. The eerie whistle in the middle of the night. The crashing sound when two cars were coupled together. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I remember the noise the rain made on our metal roof at the old house on West Hill. Mom always said it put her to sleep, but it keep me awake most nights. Maybe because I slept upstairs and was closer to the roof.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I remember, during WW 2, the sirens blowing and everyone had to close their curtains and shut off most lights. This was in case of an air raid although I can't imagine any enemy bombing Norwich, NY.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I remember the sound of Grandpa shoveling coal down cellar to feed the furnace. And the noise when coal was delivered to the house and sent down a metal ramp to the coal bin. The delivery man would keep it moist to keep the dust down.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I remember the beautiful sounds of nature as I would hike through the woods. Birds singing, [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]crows cawing, the farmers machinery running in the distance and if you sat still, you could hear chimp monks and squirrels rushing through the leaves.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I remember the great motor sound that playing cards made when hooked on bike frame and rubbed on the spokes. The more cards the better the noise.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I remember the great sounds of the farm. Each individual noise from cows, chickens, goats and ducks. Our dogs barking whenever a strange car drove into the driveway.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Great list Pappy. I will add one, if you don't mind...

Pond frogs, tree frogs, crickets, and locusts, at night. You could almost tell what month it was in the summer just by the sounds of those critters at night.

I would also add one thing, Pappy. The sound of my Mother humming her favorite songs and hymns, as she worked in the kitchen and cleaned house.

Here's more that I forgot.

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I remember the pumping sound our old water pump made while pumping water from the well house.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I remember the crackling and popping sound certain wood made in the old stone fireplace in the living room.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I remember the steady clacking on the wheels of the train I would take to Utica to visit my Dad. The noise the steam whistle made as we approached each small station on the way.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]At a difficult time in my life, I remember the strange noises my grandpa would make when he came home drunk. It was very scary at the time but as time went on, he stopped drinking and turned into one sweet guy. I love you grandpa. RIP[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I remember the frogs singing in harmony when we stayed at camp at Plymouth Reservoir. The bass frogs would start and then [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]the tenors[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold] chimed in and later the peepers started their two cent worth. The hoot, hoot of the old owl always added to the fiasco. I would lie there and try to identify each sound.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I remember the sound when you opened a glass bottle of soda on the openers that screwed to the wall. Pop, sizz and a big gulp. I wonder how many people today know what a church key is?[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I remember the sound of kicking the can made under the street lights on Gold St. We boys would play this game many a night until our moms would call us in.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I remember the moans and groans in the movies us kids made when the cowboy hero kissed his gal. We did not want to see that mushy stuff. After all, he was our champion along with his horse. I remember the giggling us boys made at the Abbott and Costello movies or [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]Ma and Pa Kettle[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold].[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]
[/FONT]

Good morning, Lois. I havn't been keeping up on my news very good. Scan is okay. A couple small nodules on left lung. Doctor will keep an eye on these and I'll have them checked each year.
Florida weather is so nice this time of year except for no rain in a long time. Several fires burning all over Florida and many main roads have to be shut down because of smoke.

Here is a bit I wrote one day while reminiscing.......

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]Sounds I remember as a child.....[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]When I lived on Gold St. In Norwich, I remember the milk man and the sound his horse and wagon made on the street surface. The milk man never had to touch the reins as the horse knew the route by heart and would stop at each house that had delivery.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I remember the O and W steam engine sounds that made. Wired, noisy but beautiful sounds to a young mans ears. The steel wheels spinning on the track trying to get traction. The release of air from the breaks. The eerie whistle in the middle of the night. The crashing sound when two cars were coupled together. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I remember the noise the rain made on our metal roof at the old house on West Hill. Mom always said it put her to sleep, but it keep me awake most nights. Maybe because I slept upstairs and was closer to the roof.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I remember, during WW 2, the sirens blowing and everyone had to close their curtains and shut off most lights. This was in case of an air raid although I can't imagine any enemy bombing Norwich, NY.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I remember the sound of Grandpa shoveling coal down cellar to feed the furnace. And the noise when coal was delivered to the house and sent down a metal ramp to the coal bin. The delivery man would keep it moist to keep the dust down.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I remember the beautiful sounds of nature as I would hike through the woods. Birds singing, [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]crows cawing, the farmers machinery running in the distance and if you sat still, you could hear chimp monks and squirrels rushing through the leaves.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I remember the great motor sound that playing cards made when hooked on bike frame and rubbed on the spokes. The more cards the better the noise.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I remember the great sounds of the farm. Each individual noise from cows, chickens, goats and ducks. Our dogs barking whenever a strange car drove into the driveway.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display]
[/FONT]
Thanks for all those great Memories Pappy. So many I hadn't thought about in years. As a child I spent a lot of summers living with my grandparents on the farm. Those are my best childhood memories. Have a good day!!

Pappy,

I came across this, new to me, image of Sylvan Beach and I thought of you!

I doubt that those beer barrels had anything to do with the fire.

s-l1600.jpg

Pappy, you made me think of all the sounds in my childhood that I had forgotten! May I add one too? The sound of bicycle tires on a gravel road at dusk in the summer. All us neighbor kids would ride up and down the road until dark.

A little history of Sylvan Beach, NY.

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]Before European exploration began Native Americans used the Oneida Lake region for all of its resources, especially fish. Brewerton, Shackelton Point, and other areas surrounding Oneida lake have been bearers of artifacts helping document Native American history. The Oneidas and Onondagas, members of the Iroquois Confederacy chose to settle the Oneida lake region and called the body of water Tsioqui, which means “white water”. The Oneidas built fishing villages near the Oneida Creek’s mouth and sylvan beach along Fish Creek. Atlantic Salmon were once common in Oneida Lake and yielded the natives with a sustainable harvest which was key to their survival.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]Areas surrounding Oneida Lake were opened for settlement in the late 1700′s. A company founded by George Scriba The Scriba Patent, marked a significant area that stretched from the north shore of Oneida lake to Lake Ontario. An Area on the lake’s western end was reserved for American Revolution veterans by the government. The lots that were not given to patriots were eventually sold to the public. The region was sparsely settled until the early eight-teen-hundreds, the”Yankee Invasion” of Upstate New York then sparked the regions first major development. During this time thousands of New Englanders searched for more fertile land which landed them in the Oneida Lake region.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]Built from 1817 to 1825 the Erie Canal actually bypassed Oneida Lake. The lake was connected to the Erie canal by the Oneida River and by two “Oneida Lake Canals.” This included the “Side Cut Canal” built in the 1830′s which connected the Erie Canal to Fish Creek. This system greatly aided in business in logging,and the east ends sand quarrying, resulting in a successful enterprise. The second Oneida Lake canal built during the 1870′s resulted as an economic failure as the New York State railroading began.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]Around 1916 the Erie Barge Canal was completed which was an enlargement of the original Erie Canal. This used Oneida Lake as part of its course. The states water transportation network became fairly dependent on the system. Tugs and Barges in the hundreds used the lake during the peak years, making Brewerton and sylvan Beach active canal ports. Communities along the lake grew at different times. The earliest settlers during the 1790′s arrived in Constantia and Brewerton. The genesis of Bridgeport and Lakeport occured by 1811. These communities aided the surrounding farm population by acting as commercial centers. Sylvan Beach saw its initial growth in the 1870′s. Referred to as the “Coney Island of Central New York”, Verona and Sylvan Beaches transformed in the 1880′s through the 1890′s. The sprouting of hotels, and two amusement parks brought in thousands of vacationers.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]
images-1.jpeg
[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]The Oswego-Midland Railroad stimulated the area by Jewell and West Monroe being stop stations. Along with the Railroad a trolley line brough syracuse tourist to Lower South Bay. Grand steamboats like the Manhattan and the Sagamore awaited for tourists in the Lower South Bay. The Golden 20′s brought about an abundance of cottage and camp construction along the shoreline. The lethargic economic pace brought on by the Great Depression did slow the development of Oneida Lake, but throughout the 20th century the lake’s shoreline saw cottage development. The completion of Interstate 81 during the 1960′s created a hop, skip commute from Syracuse to Oneida. This brought about suburbanization to Cicero, and Brewerton. Federal Government and New York State funding for the Erie-Barge Canal recreational enhancement dramatically changed the Sylvan-Verona Beach area.[/FONT][/FONT]

Bought a smart watch, from Amazon, the other day. It turned out that is a hell of a lot smarter than me. After three days of frustration , cussing and losing my temper, I gave up. It's going back to Amazon today

My biggest problem, after I spent two days getting it to work with my iPhone, is when I leave my house and lose the wifi connection, the watch is rendered useless. No wifi connection, no watch. What the heck good is this?

Am I missing something here? People buy smart watches all the time and do they lose connection? Anyway, I'd like to enjoy a few more years of life, but this Watch thing was ready to kick my arse and it just wasn't worth it. :mad:

Bought a smart watch, from Amazon, the other day. It turned out that is a hell of a lot smarter than me. After three days of frustration , cussing and losing my temper, I gave up. It's going back to Amazon today

My biggest problem, after I spent two days getting it to work with my iPhone, is when I leave my house and lose the wifi connection, the watch is rendered useless. No wifi connection, no watch. What the heck good is this?

Am I missing something here? People buy smart watches all the time and do they lose connection? Anyway, I'd like to enjoy a few more years of life, but this Watch thing was ready to kick my arse and it just wasn't worth it. :mad:

I do not have a smart phone...But I believe you need the full data plan to have internet/wifi..(???) $$$$$$

Reading Nancys thread about the dogs attacking her goat got my blood boiling this morning. They've probably chased all the deer out of the county so they are starting on helpless farm animals.
This raises the question, should a person be allowed to protect their stock by shooting the attacking dogs? I love dogs, but these animals have ran loose so much, they are a predator.

When my Grandson was visiting last Summer, from Colorado, I passed along my Grandfather's Elgin pocket watch (1916, 7 jewels). He is in the same boat as you, because it is a fragile wind-up watch, that really cannot be carried around and used.
youth-smart_watch-wearable_tech-fashion_statement-smart_watch-hip-jsh130907_low.jpg

Amazon is fantastic to deal with. As soon as the postman scanned my return package, a refund was issued to my account. I am back using my Garmin Vivofit and will be satisfied knowing the "smart" Watch won this battle.
Smart watch....1
Pappy....0

May 20th, 2017, a WW2 vet turns 101 years old. A celebration for my dad at his assisted living facility in Kentucky. My sister, in first photo on the right, sent us these photos. She said all he could say was, "unbelievable". He got very tired after an hour and they called it quits. Very proud of my Marine.

Attachments

• Making Entrance.jpg
    Making Entrance.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Mayor presentation.jpg
    Mayor presentation.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Red Carpet.jpg
    Red Carpet.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 40
  • USMC Flag.jpg
    USMC Flag.jpg