Notes from Pappy's diary

Our pets are are just a precious as family in a lot of cases , some elderly people who have family who are disinterested or just to busy to visit,their mothers/ fathers would be lost without their pets ..We don't have any pets, our last dog was a silky terrier she passed about 10 years ago we still have her photo in a frame in our living room at home..We decided it would not be fair to have a pet as we go away for a month every year, as well as weekends away and would not want to rely on others to take care of our responsibilities while we go away

Kadee, we decided to wait until we settle down too. Florida to NY each year was a little tough on the little guy. And, kenneling the dog was something I hated to do. I guess I'm just an old softie when it comes to little, fluffy dogs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 31
Sweet photo Pappy. Our dog is old and will be going camping with us one more time, we bought him a ramp to use as his arthritis is bad. Thought of putting him in a kennel, but couldn't, never did with any of our pets, they're happier with us and us with them. Luckily when camping, they can both come along.

Thanks, SB. It was a bit unsettling at the time. Had it been a dream, I would have understood.:why:

I've had both regular and "waking" dreams about friends, family and pets, Pappy - I think it might just be our subconscious working overtime, and the barks you heard - well, maybe the mind manufactured those as well. It's capable of doing some astounding things ...

This past Saturday was a fun time for the wife and me. We drove down to Poughkeepsie, NY, about 200 miles from our camp, for a family get together at my granddaughters house. It was a real treat to meet two of the latest great grandkids which we hadn't seen up until now. Total is now 10 and one more in the oven.

The weather was perfect so we could set up the tables and chairs outside. Food was abundant and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. Even the little ones were well behaved.

We spent the night at The Red Rock Inn, a little more upscale than I'm use to, but daughter had already taken care of it. Mom did enjoy the jacuzzi though, while I hit the sack at 9:30. You can tell I'm not use to so much going on. I normally lead a very quiet lifestyle.

Drove back up the NYS Truway Sunday afternoon and pulled into camp about 4:30 pm.

Took a gazillion pictures and will post a few as I sort them out.

All the little ones in the front plus the one being held are great grandkids. A couple couldnt make it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 46
1958... My oldest sons very first Christmas. We had just gotten back from California and this was our first furnished apartment. Hard to believe, but he is getting close to retirement. God, I'm getting old.

Looking at this picture, I wonder just who furnished this place. Flowers on the curtains, flowers in the rug and the chairs had flower slip covers. At the time, we never gave it a thought and was glad just to be home.

So dairy,today is my son's birthday and this little guy is now over six feet tall and a great son.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 35
RadishRose, don't tell my wife, but I have a brand new girl in my life. My newest great daughter, the one in my avatar. I also have a cute picture of her alone. Her name is Sarah and the sweetest, happy little gal you would ever want to meet. She melted my heart the moment I saw her. I made a future date with her.....shhh.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 34
Happy Birthday to your son Pappy, hope he has a wonderful day! :bestwish: Sarah is a little angel....so precious! :love_heart:

I AM truly blessed to have such a thoughtful son like this. My youngest son, Jeff, is visiting my 99 year old dad, on his way to Chicago and Texas, to say goodby to his children. Jeff and his wife, Lori, will be going to Japan for two, maybe three years, for his job in the NSA.

The thing that is so unusual, is that the bottle that you see is sand from Iwo Jima that my son had a fellow worker, pick up, on his visit to Iwo. Dad was unfortunate to have fought here, in WW2. What a wonderful thing to do for his grandpa. Jeff has always been a kind person and has advanced far in life. So diary, maybe people that read this will whisper a little God Speed, Jeff. Mom and I will miss you guys. Dad

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 25
Your Dad has the sweetest grin on his face. He obviously loves his family and is so proud. That new little lady in your life is the cutest thing I've seen in a long time. What a beauty.

Ah, an old memory popped into my head. Back in the 60s, my wife and I took on a Sunday morning paper route. I had an old Nash station wagon that ran pretty darn good for its age. Picture is not mine ,but it was the same car. Little did we realize that this country route was in the snow belt part of county. We ran through drifts as high as the hood and just once had to turn back. Another time, it was glare ice, we slid off the side of the road trying to get to paper box. Within five minutes, out comes the farmer, on his John Deere, and pulled us right out. Of course, he wouldn't accept anything, so his paper was free for a couple months.

Toward the end of the route, was this beautiful St. Barnard dog. I wish he hadn't been named Cujo, but he didn't live up to that name, thank God. He would see us coming down the road and
he would leap up on the side of the car. Now, if you didn't know him, you would probably have soiled yourself. He would not leave until he got a big hug and a big dog biscuit, I always carried biscuits on all my paper routes, saved getting a bite a few times.

Looking back, I had a lot of interesting jobs and some crazy things happened. Oh well, that's for another time.
Pappy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 39

Back