Now That You Happily Retired Do You Have Any Regrets Looking Back?

I do have quite a few hobbies But they’re mostly solitary and nature. I’m not a real card player and I’m not too sporty LOL I like to swim though and I have a pool in my backyard so joining the YMCA for the pool would be a waste of money. I’m sure I’ll figure it out eventually or maybe I won’t LOL I’m pretty happy but just trying to get adjusted to my new surroundings my husband says it takes me a very long time to get used to new things he’s absolutely right
Being in Florida, as you are ...guessing it won't be hard for you to make friends if you want to.
We spent a lot of years there in the whole month of January each year, and kept seeing the same locals and getting to know them "even gradually", which sometimes is the best way. They seemed to really care about their neighbors. This was in a beach area with a lot of snowbirds, too!

I retired in January, age 63. My only regret in my life is I should have retired much sooner. So, I am fortunate for that. I guess it was the protective nature thinking I needed to build the nest egg a little more. I am so thankful for everything and every single day. I just love my family, kids, and I am obsessed with my grandkids. I am not deserving of what I have.

I was forced to retire 3 years earlier than planned, due to disability. I regret not planning better for such an event. I mean, financially I am not going to be destitute, but I still wish I had saved a bit more.
And while I am enjoying being retired, part of me regrets that I had to as I really liked my job.

No regrets, been retired for two years now and I still pinch myself (only once a day now)! Sometimes if I feel a little bored, which is not very often, I just think back to the mind numbing meetings, politics, deadlines, etc, and I am instantly cured. It has exceeded my expectations and I just love the freedom!
Everything you said !!! I feel the same way!!!!

Everything you said !!! I feel the same way!!!!
I feel exactly the same way this morning/Monday I was sitting having my coffee looking at my lit Christmas tree and recollected two years ago when at the same time I’ll be running around like a maniac getting ready for work and dreading every minute of it....I heaved a long sigh of relief and contentment and continued to enjoy my coffee in the company of my husband in peace and quiet, anyone that can retire should retire unless they absolutely love their job. ❤️

Today we got up, walked a bit, had our leisurely coffee x 2 and then drove 15 minutes away to a friend's house for the annual Dec. garden club luncheon. Everyone usually brings something and today it was a great mix of homemade food. We sat and talked and grabbed some dessert and talked some more. In the pre-retirement days, I'd have been shoving that luncheon in amid many other work related requirements and
activities. Today we got to enjoy it so much more. You can't enjoy if you are rush, rush, rush. Like a fly, lighting here or there for a nanosecond and then flying off again. There were 20 or so folks here today, we got to say hi and talk to just about all of them!

Time is precious. Treasure each golden hour.

I started work in1960 as a GPO (General Post Office) telephonist in a busy telephone exchange in London, England. My training led to good jobs throughout a long interesting career.

I retired in1995 from a job I had for 9 years. I was in a large busy main dealer new car showroom and assisiting the sales folk selling big-bucks cars. Long hours and some Saturdays but enjoyed it with good colleagues.
Do I miss the workplace? No, I dont tbh but do miss some great colleagues and wonder about them

I worked right out of High School...I was a Secretary in a company that sold Swedish Medal Craft...The owner only came to America for 6 months to make sure everything was going smoothly...He was a Swedish Man...At the time he was in his 60's...He was a great boss....He took me and the other Secretary to The World's Fair in New York....Now you know how old I am....LOL!!!!

I got married and still worked....Until I was pregnant...In those days you had to stop working at 6 month's....
I never went back....I didn't have anyone to take care of my first born.....
I did have another baby after my son was almost 3 years old....

When we moved I did get some little jobs after my husband came home from work....

My favorite job I had was a Secretary in a High School.....I worked there for 25 years and now have a pension....

I retired in 1997. That lasted about two months. I was unable to accept not working so went back to work. Three years ago, at age 70, I was ready to try it again. A side effect of working 53 years is you have more money to enjoy the fewer years you have left. Now I spend each day in The Florida Keys fishing, looking forward to meeting friends at happy hours and chasing lonely desperate widows. 😀 I think I could have enjoyed this at an earlier retirement age.

I retired in 1997. That lasted about two months. I was unable to accept not working so went back to work. Three years ago, at age 70, I was ready to try it again. A side effect of working 53 years is you have more money to enjoy the fewer years you have left. Now I spend each day in The Florida Keys fishing, looking forward to meeting friends at happy hours and chasing lonely desperate widows. 😀 I think I could have enjoyed this at an earlier retirement age.
Feel sorry for those poor "lonely desperate widows" that would let you chase them...lol.

I guess my biggest regret is that I did n’t work hard to make money and I ca n’t travel around the world after retirement
Find it interesting that those of us that traveled extensively for work don't care much for traveling (as a general rule) after retiring and those that haven't traveled a lot, would like to travel more after retiring . It is what it is.

Wife was afraid of flying so we either drove, took the bus or travelled to distant lands by cruise ship. Hoping to be able to afford a 90 day cruise next year to Taiwan and other places we’ve never visited. No, we’re not wealthy. Planned our retirement so we have no payments, no mortgages, no smoking or drinking (much). Folks frequently say that we vacation like millionaires but otherwise live like hobos. Train goes through our back yard.😀

Find it interesting that those of us that traveled extensively for work don't care much for traveling (as a general rule) after retiring and those that haven't traveled a lot, would like to travel more after retiring . It is what it is.
It's human nature, we always want what we don't have. I have naturally wavy hair and would prefer straight, my sister had straight and permed her hair to be wavy. LOL

Re the thread question. I am comfortable financially but cannot afford to splurge if I wanted to. I wish I had saved more so that I had more money now and didn't find it necessary to ''budget''. As to travel, I watch travel shows, I would find travel very stressful and tiring with all the planning and walking and dealing with crowds. I'll pass.

I retired at 62 1/2 years (I will turn 66 in Jan) on widow's benefits. Becoming caught in the Obama Healthcare system was a nightmare. I was very relieved when Medicare kicked in. I should have waited until 65-66 because of this but just couldn't take my job any longer. Lesson learned but happier now.
Glad to hear you are happily retired....(y)(y) I retired at 56 and no regrets!!!!

I was nudged out of the rat race at age 51 and have no regrets.

I'm thankful that I was given a push, I would not have been brave enough to retire at that age on my own.

alter_forwood_and_co._3093676426.jpg
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

I hear several people..family/friends say, if I retire I don't know what I would do. My sister is 66, she said she would probably die...OH MY!!! I retired at 56 and have NO REGRETS. I always knew that I was not going to work until age 65. This is just my humble opinion but there is so much life to enjoy other than work especially with all the politics... however people do what they have to do. My hubby is 57 and hanging in there.. he still have working miles to go. He enjoy his job for the most part which is good. Believe it or not, there are people that are very envious of people that are retired and enjoying life. I would not trade it for all the tea in China.

I am retired but hubby is still working. I would love to travel but by the time he retire.. the thrill may be gone..LOL. But I am keeping travel hope alive. As long as I am breathing, there is HOPE..:D I know I can take a cruise with a friend or family member. I am keeping that option open. He is not keen on water so a cruise may be out out of the question.. but not for me...LOL

I hear several people..family/friends say, if I retire I don't know what I would do. My sister is 66, she said she would probably die...

That would be true of people whose job is the major part of their joy of life, either because they have no other interests or hobby or because they really love their job and would be unhappy not doing it. For those who hate their job or do it only for income, retirement is a chance to relax and enjoy life. I was happy to retire and did so at 63.

Very good point!!

I feel exactly the same way this morning/Monday I was sitting having my coffee looking at my lit Christmas tree and recollected two years ago when at the same time I’ll be running around like a maniac getting ready for work and dreading every minute of it....I heaved a long sigh of relief and contentment and continued to enjoy my coffee in the company of my husband in peace and quiet, anyone that can retire should retire unless they absolutely love their job. ❤
I agree!!!! The Director on my last job retired at 65..he stated he is retiring to enjoy his life while he is still healthy.

Back